• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    I had a West German P228 and ended trading it. Seriously one of my biggest regrets. I’ve wanted to pick up a m11-A1 for a while, just haven’t found a good deal on one lately!

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Somewheres around 2009, the p229 (hence the current M11-A1 is is a variant of p229 today)was redesigned and one of the changes was an E2 magazine. So for 9mm, instead of 13, the mag holds 15. I found all this the hard way a number of years ago. They are not interchangeable- as the older is narrower (although some folks try against Sigs recommendation).

Old uses old, and new new. Just search for the following if you want more info.

Sig Sauer P229-1 (E2) 9mm 15-Round Magazine

Cheers

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    My first experience with a Sig was when I was in the Air Force. I just loved the look, feel and it just simply fired well. The M9 was fine, but seemed a little thick in the grip. Before we were using a old revolver or a Air Force worked Colt 1911. Which I'm sure was a factor in my bias. But then we got a few of these new Sigs, which I believed were designated as M11s. They were great, we used try and get there early to draw them before the other guys/gals would arrrive.

Today I owned three of them, you know before my boating accident. I even, dare I say it, enjoyed the "Mosquito". It had a great feeling, pointed well, good looks and as long as you used good ammo it fire well. IMHO, all .22 pistol have problems, because... it's a .22. The 226 sa/da legion was my pride and joy. I didn't have a coating issue with it, and it ate everything. Just like my M11-A1. Some firearms are just fun to shoot.

My age is creeping up on me I'm thinking about getting a M9. I found some M9 magazines a few weeks ago while going through some of my old Pro Gear. Hate from them to go to waste.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've had several Beretta M9 or 92FS pistols...always managed to sell them...I do have a 92A3 now. My complaint with the Beretta is the thick grip and it's a pretty large pistol for only a 9mm hole in the barrel. My Sig 220 and 226 both feel far more natural and comfortable in my hand...but the 92A3 seems better than the earlier models in how it fits in my hand. I sold the last 92FS to my bro-in-law and he loves it...so it worked out.

I also have to say that forty years of owning and shooting 1911 platform pistols makes nearly any other feel wrong in my hands...but a S&W M39 may well be the most comfortable pistol I've ever handled.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My West German 226 pulling coffee table, fake book duty.
    7c6b4e885b1b8120dad3f45046b61394.jpg

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I've had several Beretta M9 or 92FS pistols...always managed to sell them...I do have a 92A3 now. My complaint with the Beretta is the thick grip and it's a pretty large pistol for only a 9mm hole in the barrel. My Sig 220 and 226 both feel far more natural and comfortable in my hand...but the 92A3 seems better than the earlier models in how it fits in my hand. I sold the last 92FS to my bro-in-law and he loves it...so it worked out.

I also have to say that forty years of owning and shooting 1911 platform pistols makes nearly any other feel wrong in my hands...but a S&W M39 may well be the most comfortable pistol I've ever handled.

Then do yourself a favor and stay the heck away from the Archon Type B. It has probably ruined me for good.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I fell in love with the M11 when I went through PSD school in the Army. I'd carried and fired the M9 for years and the M11 is so much nicer. When I finally retired in 2014 I looked for a P228 but they were hard to find and expensive. I picked up the M11A1 as a retirement gift to myself and couldn't be happier with it. The 15 round mags are marked as P229-1. My second favorite 9mm pistol in my collection after my Browning Hi-Power.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I fell in love with the M11 when I went through PSD school in the Army. I'd carried and fired the M9 for years and the M11 is so much nicer. When I finally retired in 2014 I looked for a P228 but they were hard to find and expensive. I picked up the M11A1 as a retirement gift to myself and couldn't be happier with it. The 15 round mags are marked as P229-1. My second favorite 9mm pistol in my collection after my Browning Hi-Power.

It was all 1911's back in my day. The only time we ever shot 9's was when we had visitors who came to town to do urban warfare training with us at Doughboy City and when the cops were at the range at the same time we were. I became more familiar with Walther P1's and Sig P6's than I ever thought I would be. The Israelis also donated a couple of captured T-54 tanks, a BMP and a bunch of Combloc weapons for familiarization training, too. I look back at that as one of the best things about being in my unit. I got to shoot more than my fair share of cool stuff.

The M11-A1 sure is a keeper, though, I'll say that much after 399 out of 400 trouble-free rounds. The one and only stoppage was due to an ammo issue, not a gun issue. I was shooting some Federal/AE 124gr FMJ and one round acted like it had either very little or no powder in it, like a squib load. I was just glad a bullet didn't get lodged in the barrel but, all it did was FTE. I stopped shooting it and switched to some Winchester 124gr FMJ that ran fine after that.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I bought an M11-A1 in FDE about 5 years ago, ended up selling it last year. Was a great gun that shot very well but just wasn’t one that I would usually take to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The real reason for the P229 was to be capable of handling .40 ( and .357Sig ) , at which point making an otherwise identical stamped slide for 9mm was redundant .

My favorite 9mm pistol is my W.German P225 . ( Not P-6 , but civilian P225 ) Best DA pull of any DA auto I've fired , the expected Sig accuracy , and full length single stacks feel great in the hand .

But alas , with the great change over to milled slides, the P225 was discontinued instead .

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I bought an M11-A1 in FDE about 5 years ago, ended up selling it last year. Was a great gun that shot very well but just wasn’t one that I would usually take to the range.

I was in the 'if-it-isn't-a-West-German-built-Sig-it-isn't-any-good' camp for a long time until the Legion series showed-up a few years ago. I had some reservations about the M11-A1 but, now I'm glad I risked replacing my P220 Legion SAO with it. It has so far proven to be just as good as any other Sig pistol I've previously owned and short of paying big $ for a used P228, it'll definitely do.

The real reason for the P229 was to be capable of handling .40 ( and .357Sig ) , at which point making an otherwise identical stamped slide for 9mm was redundant .

My favorite 9mm pistol is my W.German P225 . ( Not P-6 , but civilian P225 ) Best DA pull of any DA auto I've fired , the expected Sig accuracy , and full length single stacks feel great in the hand .

But alas , with the great change over to milled slides, the P225 was discontinued instead .

I'm a big fan of single stack 9's from the 70's and 80's, too. It's a toss-up between the Walther P5 and Sig P6 as far as I'm concerned. Each is outstanding in its own way.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    2R4Y4Hn.jpg

I had always lacked confidence in my ability to land a first DA shot accurately until I attended Camp Blaster the week before last and I learned that with practice and the right pistol, that dreaded DA first shot can be just as good as all the SA shots that follow. The M11-A1 is definitely the right gun. Paired with an instructor who carried a P229 on-duty for several years, I was able to experience its full capability as a defensive sidearm. I was damn impressed. I like my CZ's and 1911's but, this new Sig has given me several reasons to re-think my preferences.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    2R4Y4Hn.jpg

I had always lacked confidence in my ability to land a first DA shot accurately until I attended Camp Blaster the week before last and I learned that with practice and the right pistol, that dreaded DA first shot can be just as good as all the SA shots that follow. The M11-A1 is definitely the right gun. Paired with an instructor who carried a P229 on-duty for several years, I was able to experience its full capability as a defensive sidearm. I was damn impressed. I like my CZ's and 1911's but, this new Sig has given me several reasons to re-think my preferences.

I hear you on the DA confidence, or lack thereof. What is it about the Sig that you prefer in the DA? I love my P229 but that first pull feels like a mile long while I’m moving the gun all over the place. I realize that’s on me, not the gun, and I need to dry fire, train, etc.

All this while I’ve been thinking I should be going the CZ route. Zzzzz_man, if we can’t count on you as the champion of CZ, what can we believe anymore?!?!

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Not sure if anyone said it, but I was impressed with your groupings. Nice shooting Z. I just finished my W&C qualification with 100%, but it didn't look like that!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I hear you on the DA confidence, or lack thereof. What is it about the Sig that you prefer in the DA? I love my P229 but that first pull feels like a mile long while I’m moving the gun all over the place. I realize that’s on me, not the gun, and I need to dry fire, train, etc.

All this while I’ve been thinking I should be going the CZ route. Zzzzz_man, if we can’t count on you as the champion of CZ, what can we believe anymore?!?!

The SRT. It's the first Sig I've ever owned equipped with a short reset trigger and the difference is like night and day.

I go thru phases. I like to keep it interesting by trying different types of pistols every once in a while and sometimes it works-out and sometimes it doesn't. Two that have worked-out better than I initially thought they would are the M11-A1 and the Archon Type B. Highly recommend both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom