• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Looks like I have an outflow problem below the in-house drain convergence.

It happened about 12(?) years ago, and I don't remember who I called. It was a root problem, and they were able to clear it after some effort, but it's been fine since... until tonight...

I really don't expect an answer by morning... but who would be the best value for the best job? Glen Burnie area, of course.

Also, for a bonus question, in case a line replacement is needed how many limbs will I need to sell to pay for it?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Call the county first. If it is on their side they will clean it for you. They also do emergency calls, so you could call right now if you wanted.

If it is on your side, pick a plumber. I have heard 2 recommendations from people: Pohlman Plumbing and Plumb Cheap.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Do you have a maple tree?
    In our old house we had a terra cotta drain pipe and a big old maple tree in the front yard. Every couple of years we needed to get roto rooter to clear out the drain. Those maple roots were fine as frog hair and would stop that drain up like concrete.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The county plumber will probably scope the line first, ask him to scope both directions. He may do it anyways. If it isnt on their side, it might be worth offering him some $$ to snake your side quick since he is already there. $100 would be cheap, but probably worth it for him to do it.

Our line backs up every few years, the problem is on the county side so it's not worth me paying an emergency fee to have someone else do it.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    The county plumber will probably scope the line first, ask him to scope both directions. He may do it anyways. If it isnt on their side, it might be worth offering him some $$ to snake your side quick since he is already there. $100 would be cheap, but probably worth it for him to do it.

Our line backs up every few years, the problem is on the county side so it's not worth me paying an emergency fee to have someone else do it.

I don't know how Baltimore Co. operates but if water n sewer or ANY Harford county employee was found to have taken payment for side work while on the clock that is an automatic ticket to the unemployment line.
    Now if they're working on the county side and the homeowners side has the problem some might take extra time to help a citizen but not for payment. Now if a grateful homeowner throws a 20 or 2 in the truck afterwards there is nothing the crew can do about that.

Mr H, I hope you get your problem solved. Btw Home Depot rents power augers so if you need to and are so inclined you can snake your own lines through the cleanouts.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Whew.....

Matlack... I owe you, Brother.

County guy came out within an hour, and had started working before I saw him.

Had a root issue UNDER THE STREET, right at the junction to the main line. Maintenance crew will be out to tidy it up in the next couple days.

Cleared it, looks like we'll be OK. You saved me an unpaid day waiting for the plumber.

I owe you.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Whew.....

Matlack... I owe you, Brother.

County guy came out within an hour, and had started working before I saw him.

Had a root issue UNDER THE STREET, right at the junction to the main line. Maintenance crew will be out to tidy it up in the next couple days.

Cleared it, looks like we'll be OK. You saved me an unpaid day waiting for the plumber.

I owe you.

Just a bit of info. Plus you already gave me a smoker. Either way I am glad I could help. :D

Mr H

Banana'd
    USELESS LITTLE TIDBIT!

The guy that came out 2 nights ago left his flashlight in the flower bed. Noticed that he left it ON.

48 hours later, it's still shining. It's now all about curiosity.

I'll let them know, but this is interesting.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Is it backing up again? If its just some mushrooms growing, there may be no problem with your drain. It could be from something else. It could be from the back up getting knocked off his snake also.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Hold out hope. If its not backing up, then I would chalk it up as nothing but a coincidence. Today I decided to cut my grass and I had a big patch, 1' x 2' and thick, of them in my back yard. No plumbing back there and I have never found them there either. Its a spot that I have had a hard time getting grass to grow so I am not sure why they grew there.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Horee flock...

Turned out that Wednesday's 'fix' that should have given us '6 months, easy'?? Yeah...

Tonight's tech re-poked through the blockage, and we're good for now.

Maintenance hasn't been here because Friday was a holiday for them. Who knew?!

As for the shrooms? I've seen unusual bunches in the backyard this year too, so there's something going on. But, this guy is doubtful I suddenly have a restaurant grade leach field in the front yard;)

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Horee flock...

Turned out that the 'fix' that should have given us '6 months, easy'?? Yeah...

Tonight's tech re-poked through the blockage, and we're good for now.

Maintenance hasn't been here because Friday was a holiday for them. Who knew?!

As for the shrooms? I've seen unusual bunches in the backyard this year too, so there's something going on. But, this guy is doubtful I suddenly have a restaurant grade leach field in the front yard;)

Did you notice what kind of bit he used? They have tiny ones that poke through, some that tangle up the blockage, and then others that cuts the full width of the pipe. At least he got it draining again. Once they finally fix the problem, put some "root kill" down your closest drain to where the pipe exits the house. It will help stall any growth of the roots that have punctured through your drain.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Did you notice what kind of bit he used? They have tiny ones that poke through, some that tangle up the blockage, and then others that cuts the full width of the pipe. At least he got it draining again. Once they finally fix the problem, put some "root kill" down your closest drain to where the pipe exits the house. It will help stall any growth of the roots that have punctured through your drain.

Good call. I still say it's the maple's last act of defiance. ;)

No clue what he used, other than they don't come equipped for a full reaming of the pipe.

It's been interesting, to say the least!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom