• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Not much research needed. Get a good lower, like one from Engage Armament. Then start getting parts. Make sure you have an idea of what you want it to look like and what you want it to be capable of, before you buy parts. It really isn't that hard, once you start narrowing down the choices or have a master plan to follow.

And there lies the problem, don't bust my chops too hard for this. But I was fascinated with AKMs from when I was younger and seen lord of war. So between handguns and AKMs that's been my main focus and cheap shooting. All of my gun friends are into glocks , HK, and ARs. But they try to bust my pockets every time I bring up a build. I'm a simple kinda guy all I need is nice optics and a gun that's going to accurately shoot and be as reliable as possible. Though I like to keep my guns simplistic I do want quality parts. To even get into the basic logistics of AR it's a lot of learning I need to do that's why I just was going to get my brother a little cheapo AR and me a better quality and compare them to see what I would want out of a build..

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    And there lies the problem, don't bust my chops too hard for this. But I was fascinated with AKMs from when I was younger and seen lord of war. So between handguns and AKMs that's been my main focus and cheap shooting. All of my gun friends are into glocks , HK, and ARs. But they try to bust my pockets every time I bring up a build. I'm a simple kinda guy all I need is nice optics and a gun that's going to accurately shoot and be as reliable as possible. Though I like to keep my guns simplistic I do want quality parts. To even get into the basic logistics of AR it's a lot of learning I need to do that's why I just was going to get my brother a little cheapo AR and me a better quality and compare them to see what I would want out of a build..
    Around 700-750 for a free float AR with good parts is my current cheap build record for a lightweight AR.

Look at it this way. You can build any AR over time to spread the cost over time. Waiting for sales helps keep the price down. I tend to get most of my parts on sale, usually around the major holidays. I know that the rifle I built for the spousal unit ran me around 600, but it was a beginner budget build, with lower priced but good parts.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have a complete post '13 lower gathering dust, but right now the complete Windhams from JLowes are close to an upper plus bcg.

Added- For me for an additional AR , I would probably apprecate somthing like a Blue Fin upper. For an entry AR, most shooters would probably be pleased with a Windham, etc.

MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    I just wanted to say thank you for all your responses. Let me first say sorry for not introducing myself properly. I'm 25 years old currently residing in Greenbelt, MD. I took interested in AR after shooting my friends custom AR in the range and I fell in love with it. My budget is less than $1000, and I didn't want to overspend too much since this will be my first rifle. I'm a bit of a handyman, and I've been told already why not build one myself, and the reason why I decided to buy rather than building one is because I like to learn how to use it properly first before building.

As of now, I have taken most of everyone's advice here and decided to go on a purchase for a Colt AR6721 online since i've seen so many good reviews, and considered to be a good quality AR for the money. I'm currently working on my FFL dealer to get it transfer to my name and hopefully I can pick it up in a few weeks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Buying the first one complete is a legit strategy.

It can get overwhelming asking for AR recomendations , as there are very few truely bad options ( at least in Direct Impingment). The Colt is the yardstick that others are compared with . And has best resale value

hotdog

Dec 8, 2014
    Harford County
    I just wanted to say thank you for all your responses. Let me first say sorry for not introducing myself properly. I'm 25 years old currently residing in Greenbelt, MD. I took interested in AR after shooting my friends custom AR in the range and I fell in love with it. My budget is less than $1000, and I didn't want to overspend too much since this will be my first rifle. I'm a bit of a handyman, and I've been told already why not build one myself, and the reason why I decided to buy rather than building one is because I like to learn how to use it properly first before building.

As of now, I have taken most of everyone's advice here and decided to go on a purchase for a Colt AR6721 online since i've seen so many good reviews, and considered to be a good quality AR for the money. I'm currently working on my FFL dealer to get it transfer to my name and hopefully I can pick it up in a few weeks.

Just in case you want a back up AR, John Lowe has a good deal for a Windham, MD compliant AR.

Here is the link: http://www.jlowesguns.com/WINDHAM-WEAPONRY-R16A4T-223556-HBAR_p_148.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    For the price John Lowe is selling these for I would take the Windham over the Colt any day of the week! JMHO.

My coworker looked at my choices and said the lwrc was a smoking deal and worth he extra 200 over colt. He did a lot more fan boy talking but made it seem that was a really good quality first AR just add sights. Made life harder..now y'all talking about the windham..my build will come later I know it's going to take me months to build I decided not to have a build budget and pick up as a go along. OP keep us informed how your colt come along or if you changed your mind.

MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    Just in case you want a back up AR, John Lowe has a good deal for a Windham, MD compliant AR.

Here is the link: http://www.jlowesguns.com/WINDHAM-WEAPONRY-R16A4T-223556-HBAR_p_148.html

It looks like i'll be picking this up too after I get my Colt.. One question guys, since this is my first time buying a rifle online, how does it usually work?

I assume that after I buy it online, the dealer will send it to my local FFL dealer, where they do the paperwork to transfer to my name and also background check? How long does it usually take for that process? I bought my Smith & Wesson SD9VE from the same FFL dealer years ago, and from what I remember, it took at least more than a month before I got a call to pick it up.

Is it the same process or will it take long now since MD laws has become stricter?

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    It looks like i'll be picking this up too after I get my Colt.. One question guys, since this is my first time buying a rifle online, how does it usually work?

I assume that after I buy it online, the dealer will send it to my local FFL dealer, where they do the paperwork to transfer to my name and also background check? How long does it usually take for that process? I bought my Smith & Wesson SD9VE from the same FFL dealer years ago, and from what I remember, it took at least more than a month before I got a call to pick it up.

Is it the same process or will it take long now since MD laws has become stricter?

A MD legal AR is cash-n-carry, so the only wait will be for UPS to get the rifle to your local guy. A couple days, maybe? The background check is nearly instant, say ten minutes. Don't forget, your local guy will want a transfer fee. Probably fifty bucks or so.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    My coworker looked at my choices and said the lwrc was a smoking deal and worth he extra 200 over colt. He did a lot more fan boy talking but made it seem that was a really good quality first AR just add sights. Made life harder..now y'all talking about the windham..my build will come later I know it's going to take me months to build I decided not to have a build budget and pick up as a go along. OP keep us informed how your colt come along or if you changed your mind.

no fanboy talking from me, I went LWRC after looking at several options, I wanted out of the box gun that I would not need to start changing stuff on immediately, save for adding sights and / or a red dot and LWRC met my needs, my other option was the Barrett rec7 DI but was darn near impossible to find and was ~$150 or so more than the LWRC.

I went to the range yesterday and put another 270 rounds through my LWRC with 0 issues, gun is smooth, great shooting and fit my needs exactly. I did still opt to build an AR and I am collecting parts, one can never have too many AR's and with prices dropping I might also opt to pick up the Barrett

phinfanfrommd

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Can't go wrong with the Colt. Good resale too if you decide to sell it down the road.

+1. I bought a Colt LE6920 back in 2008. I see my model selling for as much as I paid for it.

Be prepared to not even recognize your rifle after the upgrades you will undoubtedly make. Lots of options for these rifles, but you will be assured to have a great upper and lower receiver, bolt group and carrier, and barrel.

Happy shopping and good luck!

MrGrey

May 23, 2017

A MD legal AR is cash-n-carry, so the only wait will be for UPS to get the rifle to your local guy. A couple days, maybe? The background check is nearly instant, say ten minutes. Don't forget, your local guy will want a transfer fee. Probably fifty bucks or so.

That means i may get the gun as early as next week? Damn, that's fast.. Looks like i'll be buying the windsor after I get a good case for both. Thanks again!

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As of now, I have taken most of everyone's advice here and decided to go on a purchase for a Colt AR6721 online since i've seen so many good reviews, and considered to be a good quality AR for the money.

I just shot my AR6721 this past week and it has excellent accuracy for a semi-auto rifle. I was sighting in a red dot site at 25 yards and just punched one big hole. At 100 yards it gave me a 2.5 to 2.75" group with a red dot (actually a Vortex Spitfire prism sight). Am really happy with it and I think you will be too.

MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    I just shot my AR6721 this past week and it has excellent accuracy for a semi-auto rifle. I was sighting in a red dot site at 25 yards and just punched one big hole. At 100 yards it gave me a 2.5 to 2.75" group with a red dot (actually a Vortex Spitfire prism sight). Am really happy with it and I think you will be too.

I'm glad I went with the Colt as well. What site did you get? that's what i'm thinking about getting next

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    That means i may get the gun as early as next week? Damn, that's fast.. Looks like i'll be buying the windsor after I get a good case for both. Thanks again!

Just a mention that unlike most, the Windham should come from the factory with a case. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but unless something changed, it's a plastic case that is certainly serviceable.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm glad I went with the Colt as well. What site did you get? that's what i'm thinking about getting next

I am using this on my Colt AR6721; Vortex Spitfire
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-spitfire-1x-ar-prism-scope.html

I also have this Vortex SPARC AR on my AR pistol
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-sparc-ar-red-dot-sight.html

Nothing wrong with irons; you could remove the flip-up rear sight and install this instead:
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index...tegory_id=320&CFID=606751966&CFTOKEN=66094791

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom