• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    This is a super-strong option that I had not even considered, especially if Magpul's upcoming stock for it continues to allow you to use AR mags.

$299 stock to put on a $350 rifle?

They must be high!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    On the otherhand .224 Valkyrie does interest me. Mainly because I have a precision build AR in 6.8 SPC-II, so the only thing I really need to get is a barrel, although building a spare upper is likely what I will do.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    On the otherhand .224 Valkyrie does interest me. Mainly because I have a precision build AR in 6.8 SPC-II, so the only thing I really need to get is a barrel, although building a spare upper is likely what I will do.

I found very little options in .224. The stuff that is in stock seems to command a premium price :sad20:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Heck...you can do that with a .223 if the wind isn't blowing. At least to 800 reliably. 6.5G will be less resistant to wind and drop, so I'm sure it will be reliable for your purpose. 6.5CM even more so.

You don't need the fanciest most expensive gear to hit at 1000y. If it was me I'd save my money and get a Ruger American bolt action or something. To get your feet wet. $350 and a scope will be all you need to make hits at 1000y.

Aero Precision makes some uppers in 6.5.Not sure how accurate the barrels are, but hopefully near 1MOA.

The RA Predator in 6.5 Grendel; takes the AR mags.

Attachments

• DSC_0057.jpg
      DSC_0057.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 110

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    The RA Predator in 6.5 Grendel; takes the AR mags.
    Any idea how the RA Grendel action compares to RA 308? Did they use the short action as a base or a 223-based mini action?

Also, what's up with the magazine for this model? 6.5 Grendel rounds fit into AR mags?

The Howa mini action Grendel was the one I was looking at (it's just like my Howa mini M43) but this Ruger is interesting.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Was thinking of doing that, but idk... I like bolties... but oldies... and i wouldn't know what to do with another rifle... AR seems to make sense, 1 case, 2-3 uppers, 1-2 lowers. Kinda have 'one' thing when/if the significant other asks... :o

"same rifle... just mods"... :D

If you build multiples that look almost alike, she would never know.... :innocent0

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Here is my Grendel build. 20” BHW 1 x8 with the right round 1,000 easy,
    490421de89e70e6ae90e0e6b039e837d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any idea how the RA Grendel action compares to RA 308? Did they use the short action as a base or a 223-based mini action?

Also, what's up with the magazine for this model? 6.5 Grendel rounds fit into AR mags?

The Howa mini action Grendel was the one I was looking at (it's just like my Howa mini M43) but this Ruger is interesting.

No, the RA takes the 6.5 grendel specific magazines. Not the AICS mags that the Howa takes. Which means you can use $12 mags instead of $40 mags.

One reason I am looking at the RA 6.5 grendel now instead of the Howa. I’ve already got the mags, which cuts the cost by probably $80-120.

I took my AR 6.5G our yesterday. Wolf steel still shoots for shit out of it. 5-6” 100yd groups. Hornady HPBT was doing sub-MOA groups. Managed to lock up the FCG on the 4th shot and had a light primer strike. Turns out the trigger pin was walking and walked right out. Fixed it and kept shooting. Had to push it back a little every 5-6 rounds (looks like it will walk out after about 30 rounds at a guess).

I ordered both oversized pins (hole seems like it needs to be a few thousandths larger for proper tension) and a set of anti-walk pins if that isn’t sufficient. GWACS lower FYI. Only issue I’ve had with it since I cleaned it up and built it (it did need both a little flashing clean up to work properly and also needed a bit of magwell filing to fit 6.5 grendel managzines. .223 PMAG and lancer mags fit fine.)

PS it was along because I swapped to an aero precision lightweight scope mount. I also took my SKS since I refinished the stock, polished the sear a bit more and also swapped on a thinner front techsight. Holy heck it shoots awesome now! With heavy fogging with my shooting classes from 100% humidity I managed several 2.5” 100yd groups with both red army standard and wolf military classic. A few much worse groups (all 5 shot groups), but I blame not being able to see for most of that. My first trip before all of this I was turning in 4-5” groups.

Which I find personally amusing that wolf military classic in my “precision” 6.5 grendel AR with a 3-9x scope turns in 5-6” groups, but same brand and line of ammo in my SKS with blade and notch iron sights turned in 2.5” groups (one or two might have been more like 2”. I didn’t run down range to measure, just looking at the grid through my spotting scope)

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    The deed is done. Order placed.

Found a cool upper that has a bit more angular look to it, 24" barrel, and a good looking 15" handguard/rail. Barrel and BCG in 6.5 grendel.

Will post pics of the loot once it arrives next week. Should be a smexy build. Went with a black Magpul Fixed Carbine MOE Stock for it. Will swap the CTR when using the longer upper (thanks erwos!).

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This thread inspired me to buy an 11" AA barrel in 6.5 Grendel. I am going to build my mythical room clearing sniper rifle. :)

You'll love the MOE fixed carbine stock. If you find the length of pull too short, you can get the PRS buttpad extender to push it out a bit more. IMHO, it takes a few days to get used to, and then you'll forget about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom