• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Buck 110. I use this knife exclusively for dressing deer. When I'm done I just fold it up, put into a baggie(fits perfectly) and clean it once I get home. Was it in warm water, couple licks across the crock sticks and she's ready for the next deer. The thing I like the most about it, it has a strong but narrow blade, making it perfect for cutting around butt-holes and separating the sternum. Once this knife is honed, it never needs to see another stone. Crock sticks are all that's needed to maintain a razor sharp edge. Done a bazillion deer with this knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-110-Folding-Genuine/dp/B000EHYZKK

I bought a Buck 110, seems like forever ago. 40+ years.

I have NEVER been able to keep an edge on that knife.
    To me, the biggest POS I ever owned.

I gave my youngest son a "Sharp Finger" and he loves that little blade.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I bought a Buck 110, seems like forever ago. 40+ years.

I have NEVER been able to keep an edge on that knife.
    To me, the biggest POS I ever owned.

I gave my youngest son a "Sharp Finger" and he loves that little blade.

Ya gotta know how to sharpen them.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Ya gotta know how to sharpen them.

Agreed... I've had a Buck 112 (I think it's the Ranger?) For 35 years. The tip even broke off at some point. I just ground it down with a Dremel tool and finished it off on the wet stone.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Buck 110. I like the older ones made back in the 70's (2 dot on the tang). I picked another one up at a gun show last week for $30 that looked brand new.

Eweiser

Nov 24, 2016
    Look in to making your own Knives, Erin Aylor offers a two day class in knife making. He does this at his shop in Mechanicsville, it is a lot of fun.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Just thinking out loud... I love the Buck 110 and think it's a great answer. Is there an s30v vwrsion?

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    This was my first 'deer knife'. A Buck 103. It saw me through my first 20 years of deer seasons. Still has the inner tube grip mod. You can see the scratches down near the hilt from cutting rib cages apart.

This would be my choice for a hunting knife for deer. A meaty knife with a thick back and a nice drop point. The stiff back will split the ribs and the drop point will do good skinning work. Most knives sold are stabbing knife as they were shaped that way over years for warfare, not for working and game processing. A drop point wouldn't be your go to in a fight, but is awesome for slicing and cutting.

I carry an Kershaw 2 ton pocket knife and use it for skinning, breasting geese and small game stuff. It has a drop point, is a fair knife and cheap if I loose it. I added a drop point on a good kitchen knife at home for processing. I got some free time and made this knife over the winter for skinning and deboneing the next deer we shoot. Didn't get a chance to test it out yet.

Attachments

• Skinning blade_8.jpg
      Skinning blade_8.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 86

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads