• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I managed to score some a week ago and just got the range yesterday. Overall positive. I had 100% removability in my 10/22 out of 50 rounds. Accuracy is good. For noise level, I didn’t have regular quiets with me, but I had 7 rounds of segmented quiets. The semi-auto quiets are noticeably louder, but still a fair amount quieter than the subsonic segmented I had with me also and darn near silent compared to the minimags I was playing with.

For 3 “rounds” I loaded a minimag, a subsonic segmented, a semi-auto quiet and then a segmented quiet and judged volume. Finally I loaded a subsonic, a semi-auto quiet and then a segmented quiet and took my ear pro off (no one else at the range). Subsonic I could tell isn’t hearing safe, but probably really close (covered range certainly didn’t help), the semi-auto quiets were loud, but seemed/felt hearing safe and the segmented quiets were quite a bit quieter.

Damned if I have a calibrated sound meter in my head, but I’d guess with the covered range factored in that the segmented quiets were probably 95dB at the ear, semi-auto quiets were probably 100-105 and the subsonic were around 115-120 (minimags are likely around 130). If I was in the open they probably would all be 4-8dB quieter.

Later on, on the rifle range with no one there I put 10 rounds of the semi-auto quiets in to the 50yd berm. They were noticeably louder than the bolt cycling, but I COULD hear the bolt cycling. Pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to distinguish that with regular SS, SV or HV 22lr. Also I could very distinctly hear the loud smack of the bullets hitting the berm. Perks of no ear pro on I ask sure, but also a perk of my ear drums not getting shocked.

Accuracy was very good. About half an inch at 30yds and around an inch and a quarter, maybe an inch and a half at 50yds. The top group in each picture are from minimags so you can see the POI difference between them. I don’t have pictures of the segmented quiets, but I put 3 of them in the 50yd target and they formed a 2” 3-shot group 2.5” below the 5-shot group of the semi-auto quiets. If wondering that group for the minimags is a 10 shot group at 30yds, 7 holes, but 3 of the 10 went through the ragged hole.

On accuracy for all of the groups I was using a spindly handgun rest with a small sand bag on top of it. A lot better than off hand shooting, but NOT very stable. Also my 10/22 has a 4x32 scope on it. I mention that he has the 50yd minimag 5-shot group is around 1.25” or slightly over. Generally with a good rest my 10/22 will shoot minimags in to a .9-1” group with boring regularity (I shot several of those over on the rifle range with a much more stable rest). So the segmented quiets and semi-auto quiet group sizes might also be similarly smaller with a better rest (perhaps a quarter inch or so better).

Also VERY gusty. I tried to mostly shoot when the breeze died down, but I had a 5-10mph cross breeze...which with bullets that slow I am sure contributed to some of the horizontal spread (you can’t see it, but the segmented at 50yds had a vertical dispersion of about .75”, but a horizontal dispersion of nearly 2”).

With it zeroed for minimags at 50yds, semi-auto quiets are about 1” low at 30yds and 3” low at 50yds. Segmented quiets are 3” low at 30yds and around 8” low at 50yds.

So take these to be a worse case. Well, out of my rifle.

Also in running the segmented quiets I had another instance where one cycled my 10/22 sufficient to eject the empty and load the next round. That’s 3 times in about 100 rounds I’ve shot out of my 10/22 where it had done that.

I am really, really hoping CCI makes some semi-auto segmented quiets. I am willing to use plain segmented quiets with closer and/or pests I don’t care as much if they run off to die a minute or two later. But for things that are larger and/or more important I ensure they die quickly, like raccoons and foxes, and also for further shots, a 45gr segmented bullet hauling 830fps would be a much better choice than 40gr at 715fps (or whatever quiets are). Pretty sure with the extra accuracy/flatter shooting of semi-auto quiets I’d be more likely to hit accurately instead of winging something as well as the fact it will cycle that I’d probably have an excellent chance of hitting with a follow-up shot.

So far with segmented quiets I’ve managed a follow up shot on two ground hogs and a coon. The 2nd shot missed one ground hog. The other one it connected with as it flipped and only ran a short distance before stopping. That later one did a death roll on the 2nd shot and I hit it two more times before it stopped moving (just to be sure). The coon I shot at 4 times connecting with at least 3, one when it was up a tree. I had also snuck really close to it, like 10ft away.

The other few ground hogs and a fox I’ve swatted with segmented quiets I likely would have been able to squeeze off a 2nd and possibly a 3rd shot (especially if the 2nd anchored them or slowed them down).

Lastly a slightly faster and heavier bullet/segments probably would have caused more damage. On retrieved kills the raccoon had 3 entrance wounds I could find and one messy exit wound (last shot that was too the neck with an entrance and big messy exit from the segmented barely having time to spread). On a squirrel (only whacked one squirrel with a segmented quiet) and a ground hog there were multiple exits. Squirrel had one entrance and 3 exit wounds in its chest. The ground hog had 9 holes in it from 4 shots, but I think there were only 3 entrance holes. Kind of hard for me to tell what was what it had so many holes in it.

So on a stouter bodies animal like a raccoon the segments from a quiet segmented aren’t likely to exit. Especially rib cage shots or raking shots (one entrance in the lower rib cage and one near the hind legs that I think was a raking shot). Softer/smaller animals like a ground hog or squirrel they’ll (seemingly) generally have enough energy to exit the animal.

So a bit more mass and velocity to a segmented round...

Sorry, I was planning on keeping this short. Just my 27 cents. Really love the semi-auto quiets. I wish they were as quiet as the regular quiets, but they’ve got about 50% more energy than regular quiets, and they are cycling the action both further and faster. So of course they are going to be louder. Definitely hearing safe. Very accurate. I’d be comfortable shooting varmints at 50yds with them. Not further as the drop would get to be too much. Regular quiets I don’t think I’d use much last 30yds.

Attachments

• 808EE93D-D3E1-4FE0-A747-E0CB18650880.jpg
      808EE93D-D3E1-4FE0-A747-E0CB18650880.jpg
      68.2 KB · Views: 1,022
    • A1270997-7870-453F-9D03-8995A5580EC8.jpg
      A1270997-7870-453F-9D03-8995A5580EC8.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 1,009

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good review. Would you mind saying where you acquired said semi-auto quiets? I'd like to feed some through my MKII to see how they do.

Outdoor Limited had them in stock a bit over a week ago. Only place I could find that had them. They and SGA are my general go to for medium/large orders as they seem to have the best prices around for most ammo.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Thanks. I am more encouraged try some of this.

Regular CCI Quiet is some of the most accurate .22 I have shot from some of my guns, but I am leary of shooting regular Quiet from a target grade gun because I might have a squib that I am unaware of. I will continue shooting it from my regular vanilla .22's.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks. I am more encouraged try some of this.

Regular CCI Quiet is some of the most accurate .22 I have shot from some of my guns, but I am leary of shooting regular Quiet from a target grade gun because I might have a squib that I am unaware of. I will continue shooting it from my regular vanilla .22's.

Upside, if you want to call it that, is that the pressure likely isn’t high enough to blow up your gun if you get a squib from a quiet. Heck, you could probably fill the barrel with squibs and it still wouldn’t blow it up. Not that I recommend you try that. IMHO, if you are shooting quiets not at a range, no ear pro and you probably are going to hear the bullet smack whatever you shot at it.

There’s still enough energy you can feel the gun twitch from a quiet.

I really want a Wrangler and a cylinder of segmented quiets hanging in my gun safe.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Upside, if you want to call it that, is that the pressure likely isn’t high enough to blow up your gun if you get a squib from a quiet. Heck, you could probably fill the barrel with squibs and it still wouldn’t blow it up. Not that I recommend you try that. IMHO, if you are shooting quiets not at a range, no ear pro and you probably are going to hear the bullet smack whatever you shot at it.

I really want a Wrangler and a cylinder of segmented quiets hanging in my gun safe.

That's the benefit of shooting subs suppressed. You generally get a clear thud after the shot, even with hearing pro on. No thud, stop and check. In my Mk II bolt gun, all I can feel is the firing pin break.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Yes, I had the same thoughts, but still won't run them thru a target grade barrel and I did say I have no problem running them thru lesser guns

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom