• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Sorry if this has been asked before but: Is this ammo safe to fire in an M1 Garand chambered in 308 or a bolt gun chambered in 308? In other words to fire this ammo in a barrel that is not stamped 7.62x 51. Thanks.
    Widneners has it on sale for $235 for a 500 rd case.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Should be. 308 is actually a “higher pressure” round to keep it simple. I would assume that as long as it chambers then you should be good to go.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I've fired it in my 308 Garand just to see and it was OK. Not match accuracy, but it did function the rifle and didn't slam the oprod back in an unhealthy manner. YMMV as they say. Worked in my M14 too.

chauncey

Feb 17, 2019
    It doesnt hurt to use a Schuster gas plug in a Garand or M14 clone even with ammo that falls in the safe pressure range. It reduces felt recoil and reduces wear on the rifle.

I've run a lot of this ammo through a 308 Garand and M14 clones with no negative effects other than less than remarkable accuracy especially considering the price.

Some 7.62x51 can be difficult to chamber or extract in a bolt rifle designed for commercial 308. I dont consider it dangerous but it is something I would prefer to not do except as a last resort.

In the hierarchy of 7.62x51 surplus MEN, DAG, Radway and FNM are more accurate.

Be wary of HIRT and maybe IWI in these rifles as I know HIRT and I have heard IWI may run a little hot.

I would not under any circumstances use Paki or post-70s Indian 7.62x51

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom