• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Okay with this extreme cold front coming in, do you guys think I should hunt a stand near the food or try to cover a path that they frequently travel? Seems like mornings I haven't seen as many deer but instead it's early afternoon then they head towards their bedding area.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Now is the time to focus on the food source, whatever it may be. The one I killed Tuesday nite was feeding on leftover acorns. And we still have plenty.Also have some beans left not seeing any activity there. Hopefully towards end of week. Good luck

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Now is the time to focus on the food source, whatever it may be. The one I killed Tuesday nite was feeding on leftover acorns. And we still have plenty.Also have some beans left not seeing any activity there. Hopefully towards end of week. Good luck
    Had some corn out yesterday and they literally walked past to go bed. It was like they were doing a b line there, with the exception of a large buck chasing a doe. Hopefully Friday and Saturday they will be on the move during the day still.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I can't complain. My freezer's full. Just trying to throw something up on the wall.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Not full but we got our deer tags filled so thats better than nothing! Im going to get serious about an elk again next season!

yeah you got a good thing going there, We are lucky to see 1 buck like the ones you got.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Had some corn out yesterday and they literally walked past to go bed. It was like they were doing a b line there, with the exception of a large buck chasing a doe. Hopefully Friday and Saturday they will be on the move during the day still.

If you know how the deer are moving, then you should know how to hunt them. Where are they feeding? Where are they moving into the food source from? Where are they bedding? If you know these things, you can figure out exactly where you should be hunting at based upon what time you get to the field/woods.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Blew a shot myself yesterday. This is the first time I saw any deer this entire year while hunting. It’s an interesting story too.

My father in law has a bad ankle and two replaced knees. He has a really hard time walking through the woods and rides the Gator most of the way to his stand but we’re both pretty frustrated this year so he decided to walk through the other side of the trail we don’t hunt on, come over the hill and meet me in the valley near my stand. I was going to ride the Gator down and park it in the middle. As I was loading up corn to dump near my stand, he started making his way through the woods. My brother in law showed up to pick something up and I slowed down to talk to him for a minute and then started across the field slowly toward the trail. Just as I got about 20 yards from the mouth of the trail, here come four big does he must have jumped up hauling ass through the woods and right across the trail, down into the woods on the other side, down the hill. I paused for a split second thinking this is just my luck, seeing some damned deer with no chance when I remembered hey, they often don’t run that far and stop when they think they’re out of sight. So I grabbed my gun off of the rack and took off running toward the wood line and spotted one that had stopped at about 60-70 yards. I didn’t have a great shot because it was pretty thick but I let one fly anyway. In hindsight, I was overly excited and pulled the trigger way too fast, but a slow season is the culprit I suppose. I scanned the area pretty good but didn’t find any blood and looked around where I thought they went anyway but no dice.

Of course then we resumed back to our original plan and didn’t see anything the rest of the day.

What a season.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Blew a shot myself yesterday. This is the first time I saw any deer this entire year while hunting. It’s an interesting story too.

My father in law has a bad ankle and two replaced knees. He has a really hard time walking through the woods and rides the Gator most of the way to his stand but we’re both pretty frustrated this year so he decided to walk through the other side of the trail we don’t hunt on, come over the hill and meet me in the valley near my stand. I was going to ride the Gator down and park it in the middle. As I was loading up corn to dump near my stand, he started making his way through the woods. My brother in law showed up to pick something up and I slowed down to talk to him for a minute and then started across the field slowly toward the trail. Just as I got about 20 yards from the mouth of the trail, here come four big does he must have jumped up hauling ass through the woods and right across the trail, down into the woods on the other side, down the hill. I paused for a split second thinking this is just my luck, seeing some damned deer with no chance when I remembered hey, they often don’t run that far and stop when they think they’re out of sight. So I grabbed my gun off of the rack and took off running toward the wood line and spotted one that had stopped at about 60-70 yards. I didn’t have a great shot because it was pretty thick but I let one fly anyway. In hindsight, I was overly excited and pulled the trigger way too fast, but a slow season is the culprit I suppose. I scanned the area pretty good but didn’t find any blood and looked around where I thought they went anyway but no dice.

Of course then we resumed back to our original plan and didn’t see anything the rest of the day.

What a season.

Might not make you feel much better, but a couple of days ago I was at the range to sight in my deer rifle with basically no one there and 4 decent sized does got up 20yds away in the woods and trotted slowly away.

a-holes.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not full but we got our deer tags filled so thats better than nothing! Im going to get serious about an elk again next season!

yeah you got a good thing going there, We are lucky to see 1 buck like the ones you got

But you have elk! ;)

After a few of the pics I saw, your gonna need a bigger wall soon. :)

I ran out of wall space a while ago. My house ain't that big:o. I've given a few heads away to friends. I've got two heads at the taxidermist(one of two from last year). I'm chronic. :whack: :toothless

If you know how the deer are moving, then you should know how to hunt them. Where are they feeding? Where are they moving into the food source from? Where are they bedding? If you know these things, you can figure out exactly where you should be hunting at based upon what time you get to the field/woods.

I've been considering this same thing. I'm ready to go out this morning, but I'm pretty sure, with these temps, the deer will already be bedded where I will be walking into. That would be disastrous. With Lazarus coming out tomorrow, maybe I should just bag it for today. Seeing 11* and a steady breeze driving the wind chill to -2 is starting to make that decision easy.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I've been considering this same thing. I'm ready to go out this morning, but I'm pretty sure, with these temps, the deer will already be bedded where I will be walking into. That would be disastrous. With Lazarus coming out tomorrow, maybe I should just bag it for today. Seeing 11* and a steady breeze driving the wind chill to -2 is starting to make that decision easy.

I agree. I dont hunt in these low temps anymore. I rarely, if ever see a deer when the temps are in the teens and lower

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County

They have a lot of eating options around between corn fields, acorns, my feed, etc. so I can set up where I think they will be, but its not always where they go. Lately they had been mostly moving at night but with this cold front I've seen them moving more in the light. I think I'm going to set up in a blind between the path where they travel mostly and where my corn is. That way if they want the corn, they essentially will have to pass me or they walk by me to get to somewhere else.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I agree. I dont hunt in these low temps anymore. I rarely, if ever see a deer when the temps are in the teens and lower

Saw a buck on 301 literally eating right up against the shoulder of the road but he's the only one I saw the whole drive in. They seem to get moving more in the late morning/early afternoon with these temps.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    My oldest brother connected with a sika spike.. Getting late in season gotta keep at it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      89.6 KB · Views: 157

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looking like Friday got vetoed by my wife, but Saturday is good to go.

Next weekend is also starting to look nicer. Was looking like sleet and freezing rain for the Eastern shore Thursday and Friday, but now maybe only a little wintry mix Thursday and/or Friday and low odds. I won’t be doing the trip with my buddy and his truck and a car in some of the dirt roads I’d be driving on would not be fun or maybe even possible if the conditions were particularly crappy. Still having flashbacks to the big blizzard last year when I was out there. I also won’t personally complain if the temps will be high teens over night up to about 40F Saturday as a high rather than this single digits and 20s crap right now.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Me? I'm just sitting at my desk ordering AR-15 parts. Occasionally, I get up to go downstairs and feed the furnace a couple more logs. Furnace has been burning all day long, which means it is COLD. I went outside to get the mail, and as soon as I got past the front door I wished I had put my coat on, I wished I was not wearing flip flops, and I wished I was back inside already. That was step number 1.

Then, I am sitting here thinking about goose hunting tomorrow and debating how pissed off my wife would be if I ordered a T/C Encore. lol

Did I mention it is nice and warm at my desk?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Me? I'm just sitting at my desk ordering AR-15 parts. Occasionally, I get up to go downstairs and feed the furnace a couple more logs. Furnace has been burning all day long, which means it is COLD. I went outside to get the mail, and as soon as I got past the front door I wished I had put my coat on, I wished I was not wearing flip flops, and I wished I was back inside already. That was step number 1.

Then, I am sitting here thinking about goose hunting tomorrow and debating how pissed off my wife would be if I ordered a T/C Encore. lol

Did I mention it is nice and warm at my desk?

If the internet didn’t exist I’d likely have a lot more money, several fewer guns and a hell of a lot less ammo.

Also not really a job (so maybe not more money). But that’s beside the point.

You could kiss her off by going hunting with me next week instead...:D (just giving you some crap, you’ve got good reasons not to).

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My oldest brother connected with a sika spike.. Getting late in season gotta keep at it.
    Good job, great eating deer. I really miss Sika meat, this thread is inspiring me to get back out there next season. BTW, is that a “My Pillow” the deer is resting on? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom