• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swollseyba

Jun 28, 2016
    Hello All,

I reached out to a local politician and after over 11 months wait time on a few items, my stamps are finally getting approved.

The first form 1's I ever applied for had been waiting since July and both came back disapproved. One was a Century Arms RAS47 pistol that I had intended to SBR but it was disapproved on the grounds that it is a copycat assault rifle..

This means the pistol variant is approved and the SBR version is not. Not much I can do about this one as far as I know...

The 2nd was a Kriss Vector, the problem with this one is that I listed the OAL as less than 29" because the barrel is so short and didn't realize this would result in a disapproval. Easy enough, I can add a longer barrel and reapply, I suppose.

in the meantime I had purchased a Zenith Z5P (mp5k clone, suuuuper short barrel), thinking I would SBR it as well, but this was before I realized SBR's could get denied based on OAL being less than 29".

I'd like to add a vertical grip to the Z5P but can't SBR it because it's too short. Seems like the way around this would be to keep a pistol brace on it and put in the paperwork to make it an AOW.

So i would end up with a 24ish" OAL with a brace and a foregrip as an AOW. Does that sound legal, or have I jacked this all up again?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Not sure what a local politician has to do with it...

The RAS47 should be approved as an SBR if it was >29" OAL. That its a banned rifle in a 16"+ barrel configuration doesn't matter.

You have a gen1 or gen2 Kriss? I know a gen1 can be gotten over 29" w/ the orig stock. I've never held a gen2 to be able to measure. (Though I want a Alpine white 10mm to go w/ my black 45 SBR)

Z5P. Yeah, AOW route is probably the easiest way. Though can an AOW have a pistol brace? Pistols are meant to be held w/ one hand. A foregrip definitely implies 2 handed use. Maybe easier to just get an angled foregrip and skip the AOW?

swollseyba

Jun 28, 2016
    Local politician has nothing to do with it other than to say that reaching out to a congressman seemed to rattle the tree and stamps starting falling out. A lot of my stuff was stuck in FBI check, and a couple weeks after the inquiries made by Sarbanes/Van Hollen, I got a bunch of approvals. Maybe it's just coincidence but certainly doesn't feel that way.

As to the RAS47, I spoke to the ATF feller that denied the stamp and he sent me a link to this....

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Under the Century Arms Drop Down Menu, it shows the RAS47 as banned. I thought that SBR-ing it superseded this since it's currently legal in pistol form. Maybe the ATF guy was wrong? I am not sure who to go to in that case. Freakin checks were cashed in July and just got denied yesterday. I happened to call in and ask about it yesterday, the agent just disapproved the stamps without so much as a courtesy call even after I've waited over 8 months.

Thanks for your response. I have seen AOW's with pistol braces on them, I guess I need to look into the legalities of that even more. siiighhhhhh

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I don't mean to nose into your business, and feel free to ignore this therefore.

Why SBR these? Other than a VFG, what are you gaining? A stock is nice, but the pistol brace industry is pretty impressive and always growing. I have an SBR which I ended up spending several hundred dollars extra on to get it 29" with an 8.5" barrel (via VLTOR buffer system, pin/weld, etc) and extra time getting that all tuned in so it cycled correctly.

Plus, interstate travel with it requires Big Brother approval.

It looks like you're facing some similar hurdles changing barrels and going AOW. If I had it to do all over again, I'd accept AFGs (which I've come to prefer) and save myself the trouble with the extra ATF/COMAR hurdles. I urge you to give it some thought and not be as stubborn as I was.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeesh, if the ATF is checking the completely-unofficial banned rifles list before approving form 1s, that's a new and unfortunate twist.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Local politician has nothing to do with it other than to say that reaching out to a congressman seemed to rattle the tree and stamps starting falling out. A lot of my stuff was stuck in FBI check, and a couple weeks after the inquiries made by Sarbanes/Van Hollen, I got a bunch of approvals. Maybe it's just coincidence but certainly doesn't feel that way

I'm surprised Sarbanes/Van Hollerin' didn't SWAT you.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Local politician has nothing to do with it other than to say that reaching out to a congressman seemed to rattle the tree and stamps starting falling out. A lot of my stuff was stuck in FBI check, and a couple weeks after the inquiries made by Sarbanes/Van Hollen, I got a bunch of approvals. Maybe it's just coincidence but certainly doesn't feel that way.

As to the RAS47, I spoke to the ATF feller that denied the stamp and he sent me a link to this....

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Under the Century Arms Drop Down Menu, it shows the RAS47 as banned. I thought that SBR-ing it superseded this since it's currently legal in pistol form. Maybe the ATF guy was wrong? I am not sure who to go to in that case. Freakin checks were cashed in July and just got denied yesterday. I happened to call in and ask about it yesterday, the agent just disapproved the stamps without so much as a courtesy call even after I've waited over 8 months.

Thanks for your response. I have seen AOW's with pistol braces on them, I guess I need to look into the legalities of that even more. siiighhhhhh

My guess would be coincidence, I don’t see Sarbanes or Van Hollen lifting a finger to help someone with anything gun related other than trying to take them away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swollseyba

Jun 28, 2016
    The RAS47 should be approved as an SBR if it was >29" OAL. That its a banned rifle in a 16"+ barrel configuration doesn't matter.

This is how I interpreted the situation as well, have any idea where I can get info to back this up?

swollseyba

Jun 28, 2016
    I don't mean to nose into your business, and feel free to ignore this therefore.

Why SBR these? Other than a VFG, what are you gaining? A stock is nice, but the pistol brace industry is pretty impressive and always growing. I have an SBR which I ended up spending several hundred dollars extra on to get it 29" with an 8.5" barrel (via VLTOR buffer system, pin/weld, etc) and extra time getting that all tuned in so it cycled correctly.

Plus, interstate travel with it requires Big Brother approval.

It looks like you're facing some similar hurdles changing barrels and going AOW. If I had it to do all over again, I'd accept AFGs (which I've come to prefer) and save myself the trouble with the extra ATF/COMAR hurdles. I urge you to give it some thought and not be as stubborn as I was.

Thanks for the reply, all good points. It's all pretty subjective. I have some stuff in pistol and some in SBR configurations. I just really prefer a stock over a brace. I would be lying if I said aesthetics didn't play a role as well. The Vector in particular looks stupid to me with a brace on it.

It grinds my gears to sink all this time and money into something and not have it exactly as I want it. I know, I know, move out of MD to a free state. I plan to, but MD will have to do for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom