Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old December 6th, 2018, 12:55 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
There is no one answer for buffers or springs without knowing the gas port size, ammunition that will be used, and other factors.

Pin gauges are necessary for that measurement.

If you go too light the gun will have reliability issues and recoil too hard. If you go too heavy ammo with weak port pressure won't cycle.

If you add a suppressor or booster muzzle device it will make the gun gassed more and can cause reliability issues.

ok i measured .081" and my current buffer is all stock. Stock carbine spring and weight which i believe is 3oz. I did not touch any of that. Also i would want to shoot off the shelf ammo. I don't think i am smart enough to load my own yet! lol
andy41567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 01:08 PM #52
AR15 Technical Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy41567 View Post
ok i measured .081" and my current buffer is all stock. Stock carbine spring and weight which i believe is 3oz. I did not touch any of that. Also i would want to shoot off the shelf ammo. I don't think i am smart enough to load my own yet! lol
Unless there is some lightweight carrier or something wrong, a H3 should work unless you shoot steel cased or PMC.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 01:41 PM #53
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Quote:
And yes sounds very fishy. But that's my whole concern. No one seems to know the law. In fact My instructor was put in cuffs 3 months ago on his way to class. He is US Marshall and a LEO the deputy pulled him over for speeding and my instructor for what ever reason disclosed that he was carrying and showed him his credentials and the deputy had him step out of the car and put him in cuffs and stated that Maryland does not recognize any other states carry permit.WTF! The deputy's Sergent came to the scene and yelled at the deputy to get him out of cuffs stating that the instructors creds out weight the deputies! lol
Who was this "Instructor"? Where did this happen?
Old December 6th, 2018, 02:22 PM #54

Quote:
Unless there is some lightweight carrier or something wrong, a H3 should work unless you shoot steel cased or PMC.
Nope the carrier is a spikes nickel boron and is not lightweight.

Ok so run a H3 and make sure it cycles and licks back reliably. So maybe run like 20, 1 round mags through and I should be good to go. If I have a problem drop to an h2.
Do I mess with the spring and just switch the buffer and before I go and pick a brand (learned my lesson from my barrel selection) what buffer do you recommend?
Old December 6th, 2018, 02:28 PM #55

Quote:
Nope the carrier is a spikes nickel boron and is not lightweight.

Ok so run a H3 and make sure it cycles and licks back reliably. So maybe run like 20, 1 round mags through and I should be good to go. If I have a problem drop to an h2.
Do I mess with the spring and just switch the buffer and before I go and pick a brand (learned my lesson from my barrel selection) what buffer do you recommend?
Avoid spikes buffers.

Any other American made buffer that is marked H3 is ok.

If the spring is suspect, and want standard springs Colt is the way to go. They are called action springs by colts nomenclature. If you want an improved life spring a Sprinco spring or Tubb spring will last the life of the weapon. You have to be sure you have a smooth buffer tube bore in order to use a Tubb Flatwire spring.

You may run into issues with NiB and the Criterion barrel as well as gas key issues. Those require gauges to check though.
Old December 6th, 2018, 02:56 PM #56

Quote:
Avoid spikes buffers.

Any other American made buffer that is marked H3 is ok.

If the spring is suspect, and want standard springs Colt is the way to go. They are called action springs by colts nomenclature. If you want an improved life spring a Sprinco spring or Tubb spring will last the life of the weapon. You have to be sure you have a smooth buffer tube bore in order to use a Tubb Flatwire spring.

You may run into issues with NiB and the Criterion barrel as well as gas key issues. Those require gauges to check though.
Ok understood. My buffer tube is a UTG. So will the colt spring work on UTG? My tube and spring are brand new.
Right now this setup is all with the Faxon barrel. The criterion barrel will not be here till next week. And that's where I will start build 3. But the bolt for that build is a bcm nitrate.

Link for the buffer
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-C...p/sp400032.htm
Old December 6th, 2018, 03:02 PM #57

Quote:
Ok understood. My buffer tube is a UTG. So will the colt spring work on UTG? My tube and spring are brand new.
Right now this setup is all with the Faxon barrel. The criterion barrel will not be here till next week. And that's where I will start build 3. But the bolt for that build is a bcm nitrate.

Link for the buffer
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-C...p/sp400032.htm
The Colt will work.

Check for bolt travel with that buffer tube:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthrea...highlight=Bolt
Old December 6th, 2018, 03:05 PM #58

With a $300 budget, you can do much better than Faxon.

Here's a Criterion 20" HBAR barrel for $300. This is a match-grade, 410R stainless barrel with a hand-lapped bore.
https://www.fulton-armory.com/barrel...ainmuzzle.aspx

If you prefer a different length or if you like chrome lined vs. stainless, they offer those as well for similar prices. If you shop around a bit, I believe you can find Criterion barrels for as little as $250 with coupon codes at places like Brownells.

Also consider White Oak Armament barrels. They offer match-grade 223/556 barrels starting in the low $200 range.
KYtoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 03:20 PM #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYtoMD View Post
With a $300 budget, you can do much better than Faxon.

Here's a Criterion 20" HBAR barrel for $300. This is a match-grade, 410R stainless barrel with a hand-lapped bore.
https://www.fulton-armory.com/barrel...ainmuzzle.aspx

If you prefer a different length or if you like chrome lined vs. stainless, they offer those as well for similar prices. If you shop around a bit, I believe you can find Criterion barrels for as little as $250 with coupon codes at places like Brownells.

Also consider White Oak Armament barrels. They offer match-grade 223/556 barrels starting in the low $200 range.
i already got the barrels. i bought both the faxon and the criterion and just decided to build a 3rd gun
Old December 6th, 2018, 03:32 PM #60

Quote:
The Colt will work.

Check for bolt travel with that buffer tube:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthrea...highlight=Bolt
ok. yes i went cheap on the tube cause i figured i was going to change the the spring and buffer also i have a magpul stock on it as well. I also have a bcm 6 position buffer tube as well. Maybe i will just switch them out since you might be indicating that the UTG might not be the best. lol

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing