Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old December 6th, 2018, 12:52 AM #11
Why should we Free BSD?

Why should we Free BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
It's a versatile cartridge, runs well in ARs, and plenty have built hunting rigs around it. While it was built to be efficient in short barrels, loads vary, and there is still enough pressure to accelerate a bullet past the point it is all ignited. Most charts I have seen show around 100FPS increase per inch out to around 8 or 9, then only about 50 gained for the next few inches, and as little as 10-25FPS gained as the barrel length goes beyond 12" or so. Might not be much, but they do increase velocity, and longer barrels will reduce muzzle blast and noise even without a suppessor, and of course no need for an NFA stamp or brace. The round doesn't have the pressure curve of 5.56 or most other rifle calibers, it's more like a magnum pistol, small case capacity, and faster burning powders. The short gas system helps ensure enough port pressure and dwell, even with longer barrels, you rarely need to choke down pressure as dramatically with an AGB, or increase buffer weight as often as with 5.56. Pistol gas works with all bullet weights, and even on longer barrels with supers it isn't overgassed to the degree 5.56 often is, while carbine gas can cause problems with subs, there really isn't a benefit in recoil, velocity, or reliability to justify it.
I'll add something to this that is slightly minor, compared to what you posted. I am able to run supers or subs out of my 16" barrels 300BLK, using a standard carbine spring and a Spike's T1 buffer (3.0 oz.), with no reliability issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 10:44 AM #12

I just came in from the woods hunting with my suppressed 300blk bolt action ruger american. This is my second year with this rifle and I have harvested about 10 deer ranging from fawns to a large 10pt with this setup. I bought this gun because it was cheap, threaded and available quick when I needed a host for my new suppressor. I am using supersonic commercially loaded hornady 125gr sst rounds loaded about 2100fps tested with a chrono. Sounds like a 22lr through a silencerco hybrid.

While I have had great success with this round so far, I would definitely say it is a marginal deer round. I only take archery style broadside double lung shots, and do not reliably achieve pass through on larger deer. That is fine for my style of hunting, but if you are planing on hitting the shoulder or neck I would go for something with a little more power. I have very little confidence that you could double lung after passing through the thick part of the shoulder blade. I have also only had 1 out of 10 deer do the hydrostatic shock "dead right there" and it was small fawn. A 308 would be more like 5/10 for the same shot.

I have purchased a 458 socom upper, a 45-70 encore barrel, and want to get a 450 bushmaster to play with for next season. However if you are not planning on suppressing I dont think there is an advantage to these thumper rounds.
geda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 12:20 PM #13
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by geda View Post
I just came in from the woods hunting with my suppressed 300blk bolt action ruger american. This is my second year with this rifle and I have harvested about 10 deer ranging from fawns to a large 10pt with this setup. I bought this gun because it was cheap, threaded and available quick when I needed a host for my new suppressor. I am using supersonic commercially loaded hornady 125gr sst rounds loaded about 2100fps tested with a chrono. Sounds like a 22lr through a silencerco hybrid.

While I have had great success with this round so far, I would definitely say it is a marginal deer round. I only take archery style broadside double lung shots, and do not reliably achieve pass through on larger deer. That is fine for my style of hunting, but if you are planing on hitting the shoulder or neck I would go for something with a little more power. I have very little confidence that you could double lung after passing through the thick part of the shoulder blade. I have also only had 1 out of 10 deer do the hydrostatic shock "dead right there" and it was small fawn. A 308 would be more like 5/10 for the same shot.

I have purchased a 458 socom upper, a 45-70 encore barrel, and want to get a 450 bushmaster to play with for next season. However if you are not planning on suppressing I dont think there is an advantage to these thumper rounds.
Give the barnes load a try for better penetration

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 01:41 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post
Give the barnes load a try for better penetration

I use the 110gr barnes and they do open up well. The problem is they dont' have the knock down power, the bullet didn't exit on a 120lb doe at 75 yards.

You wont have a problem mortally wounding a deer, but they don't drop where you shoot them either.
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:01 PM #15

Just got two boxes of Lehigh 194 gr Maximum Expansion 300 Blk sub bullets today. Can't wait to load some up for next season.
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:43 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
I use the 110gr barnes and they do open up well. The problem is they dont' have the knock down power, the bullet didn't exit on a 120lb doe at 75 yards.

You wont have a problem mortally wounding a deer, but they don't drop where you shoot them either.
Same with the hornady 125sst, they open up real good and make lung soup but dont have enough energy left to reliably exit. Shooting down into a valley with a suppressor they really dont know what just happened, so they trot 10-20m and fall over. With an unsuppressed shot they could prob do a good 20 second sprint and cover over 100m. Not exactly what I want during rifle season.
geda is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles