• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Today, via plain ol' USPS postal mail, I received a hardcopy of the ATF's usual boilerplate about the MD law (right off the web site), and: MY ORIGINAL SIGNED LETTER, returned to me with a nice big red stamped "RETURN WITHOUT ACTION" on it. Which reminds me of a notable bar outing in college, but that's another story.

I think they got that stamp from the same place that makes them for the Maryland State Police.

"Not disapproved"

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This law sucks. It is purposely vague.

If someone like Ben Jealous becomes Governor it will certainly be abused as we all fear.

Vague criminal laws violate Due Process - theoretically. We've all just seen what the US Senate Judiciary Committee's Democrats - of ALL people -- think of due process, thanks to the Kav hearings. Disgraceful and anti-American.

They want federal judges who think like they do.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Today, via plain ol' USPS postal mail, I received a hardcopy of the ATF's usual boilerplate about the MD law (right off the web site), and: MY ORIGINAL SIGNED LETTER, returned to me with a nice big red stamped "RETURN WITHOUT ACTION" on it.

Yup, mine arrived today as well.

Interestingly, my letter has a date stamped on it (9/27) and a hand-written number (185xxx).

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    That is false.

There is literally no way for the state of MD to know about non-regulated gun purchases. They involve no state paperwork at all, and no contact with any state agency.

So unless the MSP or someone is going around to every gun store in the state and making copies of all of the 4473s that the FFL keeps, it's just impossible. In fact, I don't even think that they'd have any legal ability to do that.
    FSA 2013 absolutely gave them the legal ability to do that.

Having said that, I sort of doubt they are routinely doing that. Our IPs could tell us if the were.

But they can.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    FSA 2013 absolutely gave them the legal ability to do that.

To do what? Go around and make copies of every 4473 that's filled out at every FFL in the state? Because that's the only way I could think of for them to have those records. And that is NOT in FSA2013, nor could it be. The state can't pass a law that gives themselves access to federal records.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Hey! Hey! Hey! Got my application back from ATF stamped "RETURN WITHOUT ACTION". They even included the advisory about the Maryland law. From the NFA branch no less - somehow I don't feel special...

My gun oil is safe until 10/1/2019.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    That is false.

There is literally no way for the state of MD to know about non-regulated gun purchases. They involve no state paperwork at all, and no contact with any state agency.

So unless the MSP or someone is going around to every gun store in the state and making copies of all of the 4473s that the FFL keeps, it's just impossible. In fact, I don't even think that they'd have any legal ability to do that.

Well I believe it was valerio, so, that said they had records of them and when pressed about it and how and why his answer was basically don’t worry about how and that they really didn’t care that we knew. He was asked if it was regulated and he said all guns with paperwork

You can go back and try and find the video but it’s been talked about on here several times before

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    To do what? Go around and make copies of every 4473 that's filled out at every FFL in the state? Because that's the only way I could think of for them to have those records. And that is NOT in FSA2013, nor could it be. The state can't pass a law that gives themselves access to federal records.
    1) WHEN REQUIRED BY A LETTER ISSUED BY THE SECRETARY, A

29 LICENSEE SHALL SUBMIT TO THE SECRETARY THE INFORMATION REQUIRED TO

30 BE KEPT UNDER SUBSECTION (A) OF THIS SECTION FOR THE TIME PERIODS

31 SPECIFIED BY THE SECRETARY.

Applies to Maryland licensed dealers. Says all firearms, not just regulated firearms.

So yes they can go Xerox the ATF book of any maryland regulated firearms dealer if they want to.

Probably can't do this to the few FFLs left that aren't MRFDs but there aren't that many of those left.

Will they/do they do this? Who knows but they can.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Maswasnos

Feb 24, 2018
    PG County
    Just got my mailed response from the ATF, they were kind enough to send it back with a stamp and a date so that I've got proof of "applying":

DUpKQ6h.jpg

I'm covered for another year, so go get 'em MSI!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My return receipt has been "in transit to next facility" ever since it arrived in DC on 9/26.

Ten days and counting to get a postcard to transit six miles.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My return receipt has been "in transit to next facility" ever since it arrived in DC on 9/26.

Ten days and counting to get a postcard to transit six miles.

It's not the distance, it's the process it has to go through...

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Just got my mailed response from the ATF, they were kind enough to send it back with a stamp and a date so that I've got proof of "applying":

DUpKQ6h.jpg

I'm covered for another year, so go get 'em MSI!

Everyone should hold onto those returned letters from the ATF. That's your proof that you "applied" under the grandfather provisions of SB 707. I think it is *GREAT* that the ATF is taking the time and money to send them back to you. They are basically doing something that proves your defense to prosecution under this bump stock law. Kudos to the ATF. They did not have to do that.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I just received my application returned today as well. Mine is stamped Sep. 27, 2018 "Return without action" just like some of the others I see here. I have yet to receive my green certified card from USPS but that does not matter at this point. I have been rejected! So it took 18 days from the time that I mailed it to the time I received it.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I wonder, if BAFTE rules bumpstocks are illegal machine guns (oh, brother), I'll be contacted since I sent in a letter. I can rejoice in the disappointment of some BAFTE agent when I tell them I sent in the application to protect my gun oil... :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom