• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marvelouzone

Aug 9, 2018
    So I got a denial letter today from MSP on hql for a common law misdemeanor from 15 years ago, crazy part is, it’s in the expungement process already granted/approved by judge, I even received letter of of compliance from state police, states attorney, and one more agency. None from cjis yet though

I didn’t think the charge would matter because it’s not a disqualifying offense. Facts are it was a Common law misdemeanor that doesn’t carry a minimum or maximum sentence. I was sentenced to 1 year with all but 6 days suspended. The reason for denial stated statue 5-133 which specifically says a common law offense where sentenced to 2 or more years is a disqualifier.

What would happen if I went into MSP office and tried to speak with them about the denial and show documentation of the expungement?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Knowing that Maryland and the MSP loves both guns and gun owners, you should schedule a visit to meet with them.

In the not too distant future, too many speed camera tickets will be grounds for HQL disqualification.

If we can't do something as simple as watching our speedometers, how can we be trusted with something as complicated as firearms.

PS: Good luck. Hope you get your HQL.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    So I got a denial letter today from MSP on hql for a common law misdemeanor from 15 years ago, crazy part is, it’s in the expungement process already granted/approved by judge, I even received letter of of compliance from state police, states attorney, and one more agency. None from cjis yet though

I didn’t think the charge would matter because it’s not a disqualifying offense. Facts are it was a Common law misdemeanor that doesn’t carry a minimum or maximum sentence. I was sentenced to 1 year with all but 6 days suspended. The reason for denial stated statue 5-133 which specifically says a common law offense where sentenced to 2 or more years is a disqualifier.

What would happen if I went into MSP office and tried to speak with them about the denial and show documentation of the expungement?

I've seen a denial letter before (father), and I would start by calling the individual on that letter. I would not show up unannounced to MSP. Never a bad idea to talk to an attorney either.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Consult attorney. Sounds like the expungement was not done correctly.

MSP cannot do anything about this. They can only go by whats in the system. Only a judge and attorney can get the process fixed.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    As others have said , contact an attorney and make sure it was sorted out correctly because it sounds to me like it wasnt. Hope everything works out for you in the end.

marvelouzone

Aug 9, 2018
    What state did this originally occur in?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Maryland

Are you under 30 years old?
    No

Consult attorney. Sounds like the expungement was not done correctly.

MSP cannot do anything about this. They can only go by whats in the system. Only a judge and attorney can get the process fixed.
    the expungement is not fully complete, but it shouldn't have mattered, max sentence is 1 year. not a crime of violence or domestic.

As others have said , contact an attorney and make sure it was sorted out correctly because it sounds to me like it wasnt. Hope everything works out for you in the end.

I haven't received all the letters of compliance, but was concerned about it being expunged, its not a disqualifying charge

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    FWIW the actual sentence isn't what they go by, it's the maximum potential sentence. I don't know if this applies in your case or not?

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    When you applied for your HQL did you put the crime on the application or, because it was being expunged, not include it? I had a similar situation with trying to get a license in PA back in 2009. In the latter part of the 70's I was charged with assault and battery but never convicted as it was put on stet. I omitted this information from my application. When the background check was done the incidence(s) showed up and I was denied my license. I had to jump through a few hoops (like you will) but eventually I got it.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Sucks man. I know people who WERE able to buy firearms for many years after pleading a one time assault offense in exchange for a PBJ. One individual at age 19 went to aid of a buddy who was in a fight to break it up, but was arrested. Because of no previous record and the expense of court fight, he was advised to accept a plea in exchange for a PBJ since that wouldn't affect anything in the future as long as he kept himself clean for a year. That didn't used to be a disqualifier. Fast forward 30+ years FSA of 2013, he applied for and received his HQL only to be denied when he actually went to purchase a handgun. Not only that, but MDSP told him he had to give up all his firearms! He transferred them to an FFL friend (he could consign later if he couldn't get an expungment). Someone at MDSP Licensing even suggested pursuing an expungment and admitted the issue was a 'Cluster-F'. Nine months and a couple thousand dollars later, he was able to retrieve his 18 firearms....all purchased legally and through dealers.

I am also aware of someone else seeking an expungement for a bad check written over 30 years ago by his wife (they were very young at the time). The story as I heard it was the wife bounced a check for 18 bucks. When contacted by the merchant, he was willing to make the $18 plus bounce fee good but the merchant wanted what he thought was an excessive fee for a bounced check as per the store policy and wouldn't accept the 18 plus bank fee as it was a 'partial payment'. Anyway, it went to court, his wife and him were co-defendants, and they were found both guilty. The court accepted court costs and the merchant received payment in full....$18, late fee and the mechants fee for a bounced check. No jail time, but I think a probation period. Anyway 30 or 40 years later, after receiving his HQL, he went to buy a handgun (he already had a number of them and long guns as well) and was denied. Police came and confiscated ALL his firearms! So now he is jumping through hoops seeking an expungment plus having to face the embarassment of a minor charge that amounted to almost nothing in the scheme of things.

So how is it these laws aren't somehow considered Ex Post Facto application of Maryland law?

marvelouzone

Aug 9, 2018
    You went from almost a shoo-in for a carry permit, to a denial for an HQL?

Hmmmmmmm

Perhaps an MDS meet-up at your strip club will be re-visited.

Good luck you sir.

yeah man, it sucks and the crazy part is, I've been in the military since that charge and handle plenty of firearms, how's that for irony? I just knew the hql would get approved, so I was even sweating that. but I'm going to hand deliver my letter to the MSP with a copy of the certificate of compliance that they signed and sent back for the expungement.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Sucks man. I know people who WERE able to buy firearms for many years after pleading a one time assault offense in exchange for a PBJ. One individual at age 19 went to aid of a buddy who was in a fight to break it up, but was arrested. Because of no previous record and the expense of court fight, he was advised to accept a plea in exchange for a PBJ since that wouldn't affect anything in the future as long as he kept himself clean for a year. That didn't used to be a disqualifier. Fast forward 30+ years FSA of 2013, he applied for and received his HQL only to be denied when he actually went to purchase a handgun. Not only that, but MDSP told him he had to give up all his firearms! He transferred them to an FFL friend (he could consign later if he couldn't get an expungment). Someone at MDSP Licensing even suggested pursuing an expungment and admitted the issue was a 'Cluster-F'. Nine months and a couple thousand dollars later, he was able to retrieve his 18 firearms....all purchased legally and through dealers.

I am also aware of someone else seeking an expungement for a bad check written over 30 years ago by his wife (they were very young at the time). The story as I heard it was the wife bounced a check for 18 bucks. When contacted by the merchant, he was willing to make the $18 plus bounce fee good but the merchant wanted what he thought was an excessive fee for a bounced check as per the store policy and wouldn't accept the 18 plus bank fee as it was a 'partial payment'. Anyway, it went to court, his wife and him were co-defendants, and they were found both guilty. The court accepted court costs and the merchant received payment in full....$18, late fee and the mechants fee for a bounced check. No jail time, but I think a probation period. Anyway 30 or 40 years later, after receiving his HQL, he went to buy a handgun (he already had a number of them and long guns as well) and was denied. Police came and confiscated ALL his firearms! So now he is jumping through hoops seeking an expungment plus having to face the embarassment of a minor charge that amounted to almost nothing in the scheme of things.

So how is it these laws aren't somehow considered Ex Post Facto application of Maryland law?

YOur buddy plead and got probation, PBJ usually means keep your nose clean and it "disappears". I have been duped by SA when I was younger same wording only to find out a plea deal is admittance and PBJ is impossible. so I have an underage alcohol offence on my record with probation as the sentence.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

That right there is the single more infuriating part of this situation. Someone makes a decision based on the penalties that exist at that time, only to find that the penalty changes in the future. If you knew at that time that the penalty would become more severe in the future, maybe you'd have made the choice to fight. No do-overs, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom