What's the current best value for a Md legal Ar15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    So, have we won any "conflicts"?

Yes, google is your friend and I don't play the pedantic game. In the interest of going back to the OPs original post, there is no doubt what our brave Soldiers carried into combat and it has a Colt roll mark. It's value is battle proven reliability from an top notch American company that I would bet my life on.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yes, google is your friend and I don't play the pedantic game. In the interest of going back to the OPs original post, there is no doubt what our brave Soldiers carried into combat and it has a Colt roll mark. It's value is battle proven reliability from an top notch American company that I would bet my life on.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy the rifles that soldiers have carried into battle, since 1986. Also some of our finest don't carry Colts.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    LOL you all are to funny and part of the ever present pedantic police force.. FN is recent, some HK, some this, some that. Bottom line, More Colt then any of the other fine rifles you mention. I'd take an M4A1 FN in to battle, no complaints here....

Last edited:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Getting awfully close. 12" or 13" handguard and a 1 in 8" twist...

This with an HBAR would be about perfect. Might recommend ordering the kit, and swapping in another barrel.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/pa-15-gen2.html

The FN MD Heavy Barrel Carbine looks nice but is way overpriced IMO. That's more like an $800 AR15. MI rail, what's that cost like $150 bucks. Other than that, it's a regular old AR15. I have a few of the FN hammer forged barrels. They're okay, but not any better than any number of other barrels I have and certainly not something to justify the price. Heck, I found that the FN button rifled barrels were more accurate than the HF versions.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Getting awfully close. 12" or 13" handguard and a 1 in 8" twist...

This with an HBAR would be about perfect. Might recommend ordering the kit, and swapping in another barrel.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/pa-15-gen2.html

The FN MD Heavy Barrel Carbine looks nice but is way overpriced IMO. That's more like an $800 AR15. MI rail, what's that cost like $150 bucks. Other than that, it's a regular old AR15. I have a few of the FN hammer forged barrels. They're okay, but not any better than any number of other barrels I have and certainly not something to justify the price. Heck, I found that the FN button rifled barrels were more accurate than the HF versions.

What barrel and receiver set would you build around instead?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Any decent forged upper/lower works. Barrels are tricky. I like Larue barrels, but IMO they don't actually qualify as HBARs because Larue calls them "medium" profile even though are kinda heavy (stealth I guess). After that, might go Criterion. Lothar Walther I've had good luck with. Nothing wrong something done on a Wilson Arms blank.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Any decent forged upper/lower works. Barrels are tricky. I like Larue barrels, but IMO they don't actually qualify as HBARs because Larue calls them "medium" profile even though are kinda heavy (stealth I guess). After that, might go Criterion. Lothar Walther I've had good luck with. Nothing wrong something done on a Wilson Arms blank.

I found this HBAR that is promising so I ordered one.

https://www.m-16parts.com/contents/en-us/p510.html

Before ordering I emailed them with a couple of questions: ]

Me:
    1. Is the Barrel HBAR marked or is it just advertised as HBAR?
    2. Is the barrel already drilled for a gas block?
    3. Who is the manufacturer of the barrel?

Response:
    1. Yes it is an HBAR
    2. Yes it is drilled for a gas block
    3. FN is the manufacturer but it may have a roll mark of DSC

Adam Conover

Aug 6, 2013
    The reason I personally agreed with the colt socom being the current best value is completely subjective. Colt does not offer the highest objective quality or value in the AR market but they are certainly quite fine in all respects. There are plenty of arguably better or at least just as good options out there. The reason I specifically voted for this product in particular was because for around $1400 you get the rifle itself and the KAC rail and the Matech rear sight. Plus the purely subjective cool factor of it being pretty much a military issue M4A1. So its not the "best" option by any means just what I thought was the best in my opinion.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    2A Sales had a Delton mid legnth for $599 a week ago. That’s the route I’d go.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't said it yet in This thread ;

Colt is the yardstick that everything else compares to
    Be it " more economical than Colt " , or " more features than Colt " , or whatever , it's always judged against the baseline of a Colt .

Montepig72

Jul 17, 2017
    I like my Eagle 15 (Division of Armalite). Very basic, but has the base options most want, dust cover, brass deflector etc. I also like the versatility of the .223 Wylde chambering. Under $600 at the Gun Shop Middle River or J&K in Havre de Grace.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Colts are mil spec which many, if not most others are not. They also work.
    I don't agree with this. Most ARs are mispec on the inside, unless you go with HK, Sig, M&P, Ruger variants, etc. Milspec means it's manufactured to a blueprint and should be as good as any other milspec rifle regardless of who manufactured it, and will allow you to swap BCGs, charge handles, triggers, stocks, hanguards etc.

Buy a $150 lower from Palmetto State Armory, an upper from them or PrimaryArms.com for $150-200, add BCG and charge handle for less than $100 and have a rifle for under $500 that has military reliability, looks nice and will hit anything out to 500 yards with decent accuracy.

If you want the utmost accuracy, can get a match grade stainless barreled upper for the same or a little more, and then replace your milspec trigger with a drop in match grade one for $100-200. Put whatever optics you want on it. The main reason for owning multiple AR15s is only as a platform for different optics. While people shoot them out to 800 yards, I do not consider an AR15 a long range gun. If you want to go past 500 yards, get a bolt action .308. All this is IMHO and may not reflect the opinions of other members of mdshooters :P

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Kinda like the factory trained mechanic who works on cars every day for a living, and who also happens to be your neighbor, who says to steer clear of brand X.
    I don't feel like this is a good analogy. A Ford-trained mechanic telling you to steer clear of Ford? Sure. A Ford-trained mechanic telling you to steer clear of Toyota? Unless he also worked at a Toyota dealership, I wouldn't listen to his opinion at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom