• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    This article or events make no sense.

The “small, non-threatening puncture wound” may have been caused by a board with a nail in it, according to a Facebook post by the Westminster Police Department. Police said Monday the weapon is unknown and no suspects have been apprehended.

The victim was flown to shock trauma and received stitches, police said.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryla...0190729-fv3wlryag5bspc77b23fd37qqe-story.html

I bet that bill will be fun to pay.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I bet that bill will be fun to pay.

Who DOES pay that bill? If I'm on the sidewalk with a "non-threatening" (I presume the reporter witlessly left out the "non-LIFE-threatening" part) wound, and there's a chance I'm going to get stuck paying for thousands of dollars worth of air transport to get some stitches, I'd kind of expect the EMTs (or whoever makes that call) to give me a heads up that I could also just get a bus ride to any number of other facilities that could do the same job, and spend a fraction of that cost.

Can you get stuck for that airfare when you're lucid enough to make the decision but haven't been given the choice?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It's about 5K per flight. Friend of mine got a ride on one several years ago. He didn't have to pay though.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Lemme guess... slow day at Shock Trauma and the Medevac crew needs to put their hours in.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Lemme guess... slow day at Shock Trauma and the Medevac crew needs to put their hours in.
    How about:

Unknown injuries of a penetrative nature
    A disturbing lack of CT/MRI/XRAY capability on EMS transport units
    Prehospital clinicians that are not omniscient
    Need for potential trauma surgery in a county without a trauma center that is 30 minute code 3 transport from the closest trauma center

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Pardon my ignorance but with a hospital in Westminster minutes away why Medevac all the way down to Baltimore?

Have you been to Shock Trauma? Have you been to a another hospital that isn't a top of the line trauma hospital? If you had more holes in you then god gave you which one do you want to go to?

The team at STC is TOP NOTCH. Carroll Hospital, and other non trauma hospitals, are not set up or designed to provide the care that trauma hospitals are.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Not knowing what abdominal region the puncture was in, I can't speak intelligently as to what possible motives were to fly. If the puncture were near the spleen or liver, it is possible that a patient could bleed out before a local ED could do anything about it. At Shock Trauma, they don't have to transport a patient to a CT somewhere else in the hospital and then wait for a radiologist to read the results. The TRU does all that in the same general area and in real time; and if surgery is indicated, they can start cutting immediately.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    How about:

Unknown injuries of a penetrative nature
    A disturbing lack of CT/MRI/XRAY capability on EMS transport units
    Prehospital clinicians that are not omniscient
    Need for potential trauma surgery in a county without a trauma center that is 30 minute code 3 transport from the closest trauma center

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Exactly, my eyes were never really good at seeing inside a patient, so mechanisms of injury come into play until definitive care can be accessed!!!

....an ice pick doesn't make a very big hole, but it can be a deep one, and usually doesn't bleed a whole lot, externally!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    A friend of mines wife got billed for the Medevac flight, but he didn't end up paing either.
    Was it a MSP Scene Medivac or a private service?

MSP rarely does interhospital transports...my mother in law was flown from Annapolis to Washington Hospital for Cardiac surgery....bill was ~$8K and insurance bulked since the air service was not "in plan".....like we were given a choice!! They eventually paid, but it took the serious threat of litigation.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Was it a MSP Scene Medivac or a private service?

MSP rarely does interhospital transports...my mother in law was flown from Annapolis to Washington Hospital for Cardiac surgery....bill was ~$8K and insurance bulked since the air service was not "in plan".....like we were given a choice!! They eventually paid, but it took the serious threat of litigation.

It was MSP, she was flown to shock trauma, after a motorcycle accident, up by Ft. Richie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom