• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Hello,
    does anyone here have a Savage 110 rifle? I have read good things about the accutrigger on the Savage rifles and am thinking about getting the 110 model when I get back to the States.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Don't own one personally, but have had more than enough time behind them to offer some observations.

The accutrigger, once adjusted to personal preference, is more than adequate enough. For a factory trigger, it's not bad at all. I have my 10's adjusted down to roughly 2.1/2.2lbs, and it's just about ideal for me. The rifles typically exhibit very good accuracy/repeatability, assuming the ammo is of at least decent quality, and the shooter/optic is competent.

Depending on the caliber selected, the factory barrels are a bit 'tight' until they've seen 100 or so rounds - by tight, I mean unlocking the bolt and extraction may require some effort. I've seen that most commonly among the 110's in 338LM.

Personally, I have no problem recommending most of Savages offerings to other people. Bang for buck, they're typically good value and solid performers.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I wouldn't hesitate. I used to be a Remington guy with their older rifles, but I also own a number of much more current Savage rifles. The 110 action has stood the test of time. The Accutrigger is a great factory trigger, and a huge improvement to some of the god awful lawyered factory triggers of the 80's and 90's era in particular. It was a game changer for a trigger game greatly in need of change, and is IMO responsible for the upgraded triggers you see with most all competitive manufacturers in more recent years. While some rifles are a bit more tempermental than others, all of my rifles will shoot with loads they like.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have two, a LA and a short action. Both are good utility deer rifles. One in particular is extremely accurate and very consistent. The other (sa) will string vertically when it gets hot but otherwise gets the job done. It has an accu trigger which is ok. The other (la) is very consistent an has integral scope bases. Both have factory sporter weight barrels, are three point bedded and wear birch stocks.
    After about 25 years I have considered getting a new bush rifle to replace the older LA but never followed through with it for lack of need, years ago I replaced the plastic trigger bow with a steel T/C guard from a new Englander BP rifle. It's a little larger for gloved hands.
    I use Win. silver box in the old one and Rem green box in the other for hunting. The only major complaint is the small narrow tang mounted safety, small bolt knob and warped birch stock on the 308 from being completely drenched too many times to count and they're not much to look at but I knew that from the start. Fore-ends are a little fat, pressed checkering and some plastic parts like followers and trigger guards but they're value oriented rifles with good performance.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I have two; one pre-accutrigger and one accutrigger, both long actions. As noted, the stocks are meh. Serviceable but I have plans for an XLR chasis for one of the rifles.

My favorite thing about the Savage rifle is the barrel nut and having the ability to easily swap a barrel with just a set of go/no-go gauges. The floating bolt head is simple to swap and three different diameter bolt heads will cover most any caliber you would want to shoot.

With a good barrel, a Savage rifle is as accurate as you can make it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yes - got one in 308 and it came with a Nikon scope and accutrigger. Other than all the scope screws needed to be tightened up to spec, it shoots very well. Very nice trigger.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I have a pre accutrigger in 300 win mag. Other than it beating the snot out of me it is quite accurate. One thing that bugged me on the long action was the scope bases seemed to be so far apart that I didn’t have much room to move the vx3 3-9 back far enough causing me to have to scoot my face up a bit to get a good scope picture. I solved that with a one piece scope base.

I have a b mag with the accu trigger and as stated it’s pretty good for a factory unit. I was thinking about changing my 110 to a timney but I just don’t shoot it that often. I bought the rifle back when I was young and though I needed magnum power to bring down them tuff western md mountain deer.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    .300 Winchester Magnum? That's a lot of recoil. Do you have a muzzle brake on the barrel?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Savage makes a really good and accurate gun but their stock designs are usually less than good. I have a Colt Light Rifle in .30-06 and fired it side-by-side with a Savage Model 110 which was a heavier gun. I used ammunition from the same box...the felt recoil from the Colt rifle was less and more manageable than with the Savage. Stock design made the difference...a well designed stock applies the recoil differently than a poorly designed stock. Savage tends to use stocks that really transmit recoil...made of cheaper materials to keep price down.

I also had a Savage Scout in .308...while it was light to carry it was also punishing to shoot.

Last edited:
    Mar 6, 2019
    I have a recent short action Savage 10 in 6.5 CM. It’s my second Savage. Both have the Accutrigger. The triggers worked well enough once I adjusted to the blade in the middle. It’s more noticeable on my model 10 than it is on my B22. I like the Accutrigger and it’s more than serviceable, but I will be removing it for a Timney out of curiosity.

Accuracy from my rifle is better than I expected. 0.88 MOA from a bipod and rear sand bags with the right store bought ammo and five shots. Other ammo models opened up to a max of 2.79 MOA with most averaging around 1.5 MOA. The batches of ammo I tested were all consistent. To me that was the bigger plus, knowing that performance from box to box would be consistent.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I have a heavy fluted barrel 308 Savage with accutrigger. Shoots everything well. No complaints.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Savage tends to use stocks that really transmit recoil...made of cheaper materials to keep price down.

I agree. However - I put a limb saver slip-on recoil pad on mine (after removing the original) and now, it is is a pleasure to shoot.

[EDIT] I have the walnut stock.

Last edited:

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I would suggest either not buying the 110 with the base stock or planning on replacing it. The cheap plastic base model stock has no type of reinforcements or bedding so the lack of rigidity will rob a 1/4 to 1/2 moa. If its for hunting its more than fine (my 111xp 30-06 shoots 1 1/4" 5 shot groups @ 100 w/ federal 170gn) but im sure even with a boyds laminate bedded it would be sub-moa. The next model up from mine with the accustock is known to be a tackdriver(around 3/4 moa)

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I have a number of savages. My 110 Fcp-sr 308 will shoot at least 3/4 moa with handloads and slightly over with gold medal match 175s. All of my savages are stock except for the muzzle brakes. I have a precision armament m4-72 on the 308. This gun has shot over a grand before and it is stock with a vortex viper hst 4-16. It was a very economical combo especially with the rebates that were running at the time.

I also have a 116 300 win mag with a Witt machine shop clamp on muzzle brake. It’s a fairly lightweight rifle for the cartridge and the brake helps quite a bit. Believe it or not, this likes wolf soft point the best at $20 a box.

Go with the savage. You will not regret it.

Attachments

• E3FE5757-9B27-49F3-B1F4-B080EF70C26C.jpg
      E3FE5757-9B27-49F3-B1F4-B080EF70C26C.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 156
    • F47383A7-667D-4A44-BA40-B22B875992D8.jpg
      F47383A7-667D-4A44-BA40-B22B875992D8.jpg
      61.8 KB · Views: 160

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    .300 Winchester Magnum? That's a lot of recoil. Do you have a muzzle brake on the barrel?

Yep 300 Winchester magnum. With a sporter weight barrel the rifle probably weighs a little over 7 lbs. no muzzle brake. It actually destroyed the bushnell scope that came with it shooting 220 grain powerpoints. Not quite sure why i subjected myself to that kind of abuse. Very accurate though if I could keep from flinching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom