• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    I am still trying to see where I can take the HQL class at. I refuse to go to Gilbert Indoor Range since they refuse to accommodate me based on my hearing loss when I asked for a sign language interpreter. :mad54::mad54::mad54: When I took the basic pistol class in 2014 I had no issues at all and the NRA instructors was phenomenal. It is a d**m shame that this is 2017 and people are 'judgemental'. I am just trying to get the HQL class done so I can get my gun and get used to it. I see some places are expensive and I am on a tight budget due to expenses that I am currently paying for. I am just trying to get my hands going if you catch the drift. So any assistance would be appreciated. I am still new so the hunter safety course may be out of the picture unless you have any suggestions for me. Again, I am just trying to do what I need to do to protect my 2nd Amendment and follow other law abiding citizens out there.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You can try the online Texas hunters Ed class.. believe it's still accepted for the hql training.

It's hard to find a class with a staff that can sign language. They probably need to hire one = more expenses.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    yeah, this is sad. We should be an all-inclusive community.

The good news, as #2 says I am pretty sure that the Texas online hunter ed class is accepted.

Option #2: buy a curio and relic pistol. There are lots of fine C&R pistols around 90%+. No HQL needed (and I also think you can claim this as your regulated firearm so you would be training exempt).

Excellent video:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    You have a few options. One is to source your own "interpreter" for the class. You can also purchase a C&R pistol or an AR-15 lower reciever to be exempt from the training requirement. I recommend the AR lower. It's like $100ish and you're gonna eventually buy an AR anyways so might as well start now.

There is also the Texas online hunter safety course that exempts you.
    I'm unaware of any HQL instructors that are ASL certified and don't know of any shops that can accomodate that requirement.

Dumb but serious question. You said you have hearing loss. Do you still wear hearing protection?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I am still trying to see where I can take the HQL class at. I refuse to go to Gilbert Indoor Range since they refuse to accommodate me based on my hearing loss when I asked for a sign language interpreter. :mad54::mad54::mad54: When I took the basic pistol class in 2014 I had no issues at all and the NRA instructors was phenomenal. It is a d**m shame that this is 2017 and people are 'judgemental'. I am just trying to get the HQL class done so I can get my gun and get used to it. I see some places are expensive and I am on a tight budget due to expenses that I am currently paying for. I am just trying to get my hands going if you catch the drift. So any assistance would be appreciated. I am still new so the hunter safety course may be out of the picture unless you have any suggestions for me. Again, I am just trying to do what I need to do to protect my 2nd Amendment and follow other law abiding citizens out there.

Did you go back and look at the answer to your first post? There was nothing in it that was meant as any judgement, I am deaf also so the suggestions were intended to help you in your situation.
    Here it is:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4778607&postcount=129

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    Well when I asked the class instructors they said that I have to provide one and I was like no, you have to provide one according to the American with Disability Act (ADA) since all the organization are private unless I can find one that is NRA affiliated.

To answer your question, I wear hearing aids since birth so without them I am deaf completely. I will have to use hearing protection if i have my hearing aids on but if I don't, I would not need it but again due to politics, I am unsure if I have to have it on me now or not.

My concern is for the Texas Hunter Online class, I am not sure how the field day works because I am not experienced in hunting. Would that make a difference at all? I am not asking for a pity party but I am trying to get my first moder glock or sig!

My question is if I get the AR lower, where is the best place to purchase that? Do I just buy it and apply for the HQL? I am just trying to get the training exempt if possible. I really do not want to take the training again. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Well when I asked the class instructors they said that I have to provide one and I was like no, you have to provide one according to the American with Disability Act (ADA) since all the organization are private unless I can find one that is NRA affiliated.

To answer your question, I wear hearing aids since birth so without them I am deaf completely. I will have to use hearing protection if i have my hearing aids on but if I don't, I would not need it but again due to politics, I am unsure if I have to have it on me now or not.

My concern is for the Texas Hunter Online class, I am not sure how the field day works because I am not experienced in hunting. Would that make a difference at all? I am not asking for a pity party but I am trying to get my first moder glock or sig!

My question is if I get the AR lower, where is the best place to purchase that? Do I just buy it and apply for the HQL? I am just trying to get the training exempt if possible. I really do not want to take the training again. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Texas hunter safety class is now completely online and satisfies the MD training exemption. Its been discussed here ad nauseam

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=132416&highlight=Texas+hunter

I recommend Blue Fins in Dundalk for the purchase of the AR lower. They can set you up with everything you need including filling out your MD Designated Collector application.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

There are three options for Texas .

Classroom
    Online+field day
    Online course only..

http://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/online-course-for-certification

Edit: above link said resident only..

Here's the thread about it.. but don't know if they changed it recently for out of state/non-resident.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=132416

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

There are quite a few places within 30 minutes of Silver Spring which will sell you a lower. PM some of the nearby IPs, or call around.

The process will be: buy it, fill out HQL exempt 77e, take possession 1 week later, then fill out HQL form and get fingerprints.

or as noted above, TX hunter safety can be 100% online.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do you want to simply get an HQL, or be a Plaintiff in an ADA suit against State of Maryland. Not picking, either id legit.

And for that matter, contact MSI . The ADA angle could be useful in the HQL lawsuit .

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

I'm no doctor, and obviously don't know the exact nature of your hearing loss, but most hearing aids merely amplify certain frequencies of sound so that you can better hear them. A firearm muzzle blast is still quite an impulse that can do damage even if the blast wouldn't be heard very well by you. If you haven't already done so, I would ask my audiologist or better yet, Otolaryngologist to be sure this is true. Wouldn't want your profound hearing loss to become even worse.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    @esqappellate-- You want my honest answer? It worked out. I spoke to the MSP supervisor and he/she said that they will approve it due to my circumstances. I want to become a NRA instructor for DMV area for the deaf and hard of hearing community just to save their time and our resources. So any resources or which instructor to take the class with, please PM me. I cannot express my gratitude to you and DC-W especially. He has been phenomenal since we spoke for the last couple days. My goal is to join MSI in a few weeks, get NRA instructor license and work with you all for legal battles. I want to fight and contribute much as I can. If I can be any help regarding to the deaf community or any issues, please reach out to me because I have all the connects.

@sxs--I have hearing loss since birth and both ears are severe moderate hearing loss.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    @esqappellate-- You want my honest answer? It worked out. I spoke to the MSP supervisor and he/she said that they will approve it due to my circumstances. I want to become a NRA instructor for DMV area for the deaf and hard of hearing community just to save their time and our resources. So any resources or which instructor to take the class with, please PM me. I cannot express my gratitude to you and DC-W especially. He has been phenomenal since we spoke for the last couple days. My goal is to join MSI in a few weeks, get NRA instructor license and work with you all for legal battles. I want to fight and contribute much as I can. If I can be any help regarding to the deaf community or any issues, please reach out to me because I have all the connects.

@sxs--I have hearing loss since birth and both ears are severe moderate hearing loss.

Welcome aboard! I am delighted it worked with the MSP. Please let us know when you actually get the HQL. Follow up is *very* important with respect to the MSP as things have a way of falling through the cracks, as with any bureaucracy. We would certainly welcome you aboard at MSI. Lots of instructor classes out there. I got my initial instructor credentials through IWLA, Frederick. They offer a lot of training, including instructor training. http://www.frederickiwla.org/training. Good luck!

PS: For everyone else, here is the ADA legal analysis, for informational purposes only:

The American with Disabilities Act ("ADA") generally requires a state governmental organization to make accommodations for the disabled. Title II of the ADA provides that “no qualified individual with a disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any such entity.” 42 U.S.C. § 12132. Subsection (v) of the applicable regulations provides that a state may not “[a]id or perpetuate discrimination against a qualified individual with a disability by providing significant assistance to an agency, organization, or person that discriminates on the basis of disability in providing any aid, benefit, or service to beneficiaries of the public entity's program.” 28 C.F.R. § 35.130(b)(1)(v). The Rehabilitation Act defines “program or activity,” as “all the operations of” a public entity. 29 U.S.C. § 794(b). The HQL program is certainly an "operation" of the Licensing Division.

A failure to make accommodations may well be unlawful under federal law. See 28 C.F.R. § 35.130(b)(8) (providing that a public entity cannot “apply eligibility criteria that screen out or tend to screen out” individuals with disabilities “from fully and equally enjoying any service, program, or activity, unless such criteria can be shown to be necessary for the provision of the service, program, or activity being offered”). Citing this regulation, one federal court of appeals has suggested (albeit in dicta) that a government agency "may well be required to give exemptions to certain deaf individuals who cannot obtain driver education certificates, given that using these certificates as an eligibility criteria allegedly “screen out or tend to screen out” deaf people and may not be “necessary for the provision of the” driver's license program." Ivy v. Williams, 781 F.3d 250, 258 (5th Cir. 2015), vacated as moot, 137 S.Ct. 414 (2016). It seems especially unfair to deprive an individual of his/her constitutional right to purchase a handgun because of a disability. So, it is necessary to ask the State Police to "give exemptions" (id.) to HQL or Wear and Carry Permit requirements under the ADA. Please understand that the the ADA effectively preempts any state law requirement that is in conflict with the ADA. Pacific Gas and Electric Co. v. State Energy Resources Conser. & Dev. Comm'n, 461 U.S. 190, 203–204 (1983). See also In re Application of Kimmer, 392 Md. 251 (2006). Thus, it is no answer for the State Police to rely on state law.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    @esqappellate,

Will do. I will wait for couple weeks. I can check the status online right? So I will have to wait about 30 days roughly to get the HQL ? Again @ esqappellate, thank you for posting the ADA legal state. I was going to do that but I was not sure if everyone would understand the legality concept behind that but again it is fantastic that you did that. Again, if you have any issues with ADA or disability regarding to 2nd amendment, just reach out. We all are here to help! I never thought I would be supported by you guys that quick but I was proven wrong. :party29::party29::party29:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    @esqappellate,

Will do. I will wait for couple weeks. I can check the status online right? So I will have to wait about 30 days roughly to get the HQL ? Again @ esqappellate, thank you for posting the ADA legal state. I was going to do that but I was not sure if everyone would understand the legality concept behind that but again it is fantastic that you did that. Again, if you have any issues with ADA or disability regarding to 2nd amendment, just reach out. We all are here to help! I never thought I would be supported by you guys that quick but I was proven wrong. :party29::party29::party29:

Yes, 30 days is the normal wait time to receive the HQL.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Contact Ben Kelkye at the Frederick IWLA. He has helped me get in contact with ASL translators for classes in the past. Wish I had seen your post sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom