• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I think this would be the first time a government has appealed a case to SCOTUS, and the Federal government at that.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    OH BOY!!! why am I not surprised???? Wonder if Trump will have Sessions repeal or ask the SCOTUS to disregard it? would love to read it as well.

that's a very good question. It would appear that the Obama administration is die-hard to the end. We still have no idea who the new SG may be in the Trump administration, much less an actual nomination, much less confirmation by the Senate. Meanwhile the cert petition remains active..... If I were the Court, I would sit on this petition. The new administration can withdraw it at any time.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I started reading it and was annoyed. I found that it would be hard to make a case saying rights can be restored, but lack funding for that process prevents a person from being able to get their rights restored. How do yet get anywhere with this? I'll go back and try to plow through it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Normally I might say this won't get cert because 70/10,000 cases get cert. Odds are automatically against it. But the Solicitor General on behalf of the AG requesting cert, due to an upheld challenge to federal law, where there is the appearance of a circuit split, has far greater chance of cert grant than most.

I would not bet that the Trump admin drops this either. We do not know who the SG will be just yet, but Session's approach is likely to be: Defend Federal law even where he disagrees with the law. Unless the defense is particularly weak. He said as much during confirmation hearings.

So I do not think that Sessions / Trump (or the future SG) being a "friend" of the 2A will help here, since it's a challenge to federal law.

The good news, I guess, is that if it does go to the Supreme Court, it will be with at least one new member.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Normally I might say this won't get cert because 70/10,000 cases get cert. Odds are automatically against it. But the Solicitor General on behalf of the AG requesting cert, due to an upheld challenge to federal law, where there is the appearance of a circuit split, has far greater chance of cert grant than most.

I would not bet that the Trump admin drops this either. We do not know who the SG will be just yet, but Session's approach is likely to be: Defend Federal law even where he disagrees with the law. Unless the defense is particularly weak. He said as much during confirmation hearings.

So I do not think that Sessions / Trump (or the future SG) being a "friend" of the 2A will help here, since it's a challenge to federal law.

The good news, I guess, is that if it does go to the Supreme Court, it will be with at least one new member.

That's one way to go. "Defend" the law by "taking a dive".

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    That's one way to go. "Defend" the law by "taking a dive".

I did not mean to imply that Sessions or the Trump Administration will take a dive. The more I think about it, I think this Administration is likely to defend federal law even where they disagree with it, and defend it vigorously. I don't think that the Trump Administration liking or disliking a certain cause it's going to have much of an impact.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Unless that new member is Hardiman, who wrote a concurrence in this case and who is on Trumps short list. He will recuse himself, as is traditional. Note that this is a very limited invalidation: It merely held that the life time disqualification can be challenged on a per person, as applied to that person, basis for non-serious crimes (probably just non-violent misdemeanors). Section 922(g) remains fully applicable to every other type of disqualifying crime. While any SG will have a vastly better track record of getting a petition granted than the norm, that applies less so to this SG's office in the Obama administration, which seems to lose in the SCT a lot more than the most SGs. I could easily see the new SG deciding to withdraw this petition. Of course, that may be a bad thing too, cuz it would be nice to get another 2A win

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    While any SG will have a vastly better track record of getting a petition granted than the norm, that applies less so to this SG's office in the Obama administration, which seems to lose in the SCT a lot more than the most SGs. I could easily see the new SG deciding to withdraw this petition. Of course, that may be a bad thing too, cuz it would be nice to get another 2A win

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Maybe this is another "be careful what you wish for" moment for the Obama admin.

Response petition will be interesting. Maybe Gura will just say "yes, you should hear this case."

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I've been so spoiled by reading Gura docs. This was really dull, but i'm not a law nut er uhm, geek, aficionado.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The 2 cases made ScotusBlog's Petition of the Day. All filings can be found from the links.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2017/03/petition-of-the-day-1109/

Both the government's petition and Alan Gura's conditional cross petition are now scheduled for Conf., May 11, 2017. https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docketfiles/16-847.htm

This is a big deal. I am betting that the government's petition, at least, will be the next big 2A case decided by the Supreme Court.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Sounds great, but what does it mean in layman's terms?

If it's taken by SCOTUS, it really depends on how broad or narrow they want the ruling to be. They could lay out a strict scrutiny requirement for every gun law. That would have major effects, as most of the anti-2A cases were decided under intermediate scrutiny. If they merely say that the law, as applied to non-violent felons, doesn't survive intermediate scrutiny, not very much, unless they also lay out a standard that requires far less deference to legislatures with respect to the "fit" between the regulation and the interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom