• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I don't believe there is a "standard" 9mm lower. But to answer your question, the PSA uppers will "fit" a standard AR style lower. I guess it would depend on which lower you pin your PSA upper to whether it will work or not.

AR9s are similar to the AR308s (AR10) platform with respect ensuring each part used is compatible with all others in the build. This is a completely different concept than an AR-15 style rifle. The reason is because the AR-15 has a Mil-Spec and the parts made to fit Mil-Spec are all completely interchangeable.

Thanks. I have an Ar-15 lower with the midway mag block. It's colt pattern. Just looking for a working, but inexpensive carbine upper to use in uspsa pcc class.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I don't believe there is a "standard" 9mm lower. But to answer your question, the PSA uppers will "fit" a standard AR style lower. I guess it would depend on which lower you pin your PSA upper to whether it will work or not.

AR9s are similar to the AR308s (AR10) platform with respect ensuring each part used is compatible with all others in the build. This is a completely different concept than an AR-15 style rifle. The reason is because the AR-15 has a Mil-Spec and the parts made to fit Mil-Spec are all completely interchangeable.

I imagine that you're talking about this one:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/9mm-steel-body-buffer-assy.html

Did you use a spacer with the buffer or just the buffer above (link) and a spring? Thank you for replies.

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Not that is a ton of help, but I went with the Spikes st9x buffer and a standard cmmg spring and it's worked flawlessly so far.

I was planning on using the MASdefense 9mm buffer tube kit but it was out of stock for a long period of time when I built mine.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not that is a ton of help, but I went with the Spikes st9x buffer and a standard cmmg spring and it's worked flawlessly so far.

I was planning on using the MASdefense 9mm buffer tube kit but it was out of stock for a long period of time when I built mine.

I use an H-3 buffer with a Tubb's flat wire spring made for .308 ARs(think heavy duty) in a short(carbine length) buffer tube. It runs flawlessly without any bark(I run it full time suppressed).

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

Helpful. Never have heard of MAS Defense. As far as springs go, I've read where many have said to use a heavy spring for 9mm build, for example, Wolff. Yet others, like you, have done well with a standard spring.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Anybody used the Kaw Valley Precision Solid Stainless Steel Blowback Buffer - 7.5oz along with the KVP Extra Power Buffer Spring sold by Joe Bob?

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Anybody used the Kaw Valley Precision Solid Stainless Steel Blowback Buffer - 7.5oz along with the KVP Extra Power Buffer Spring sold by Joe Bob?

I used a complete KVP upper and BCG and couldn't say enough about customer service and quality. They seem to have the 9mm AR game down pretty well IMO

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    You could just get a standard 9mm upper and use a magwell block and shoot 9mm that way. I have an Integral suppressed 9mm upper (LRM-169) and a Gemtech Talon Upper to use with my Multi-mount can and I have a Hahn drop in magwell block and it runs great. I can convert in a minute or so and convert back to shoot another caliber. No tools.

More bang for the buck I think.

Dave

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I went with the PSA upper on a standard AR lower with a mag well insert from PSA and a heavy 9mm buffer also from PSA. I had to drill and tap for a set screw in the front of the mag well to keep the insert from moving around but it runs great now with that simple fix. 9mm AR's are really fun to shoot and way cheaper to feed too.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I found an article that talks about the difference between the Glock and Colt lowers. I'm not sure how accurate it is. The one thing that I find surprising is the article says that the bolt hold open does not work with the Glock lowers and something about the Glock lower parts could be unique/proprietary. Does anyone know if these are true?

http://out-of-battery.com/ar9-deciding-glock-compatible-lower-colt-pattern-lower/

◾Bolt hold-open functionality on empty magazines does not exist with Glock compatible lowers.
    ◾Requires unique/proprietary parts which increases costs associated with the initial build and any ongoing maintenance/repairs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I found an article that talks about the difference between the Glock and Colt lowers. I'm not sure how accurate it is. The one thing that I find surprising is the article says that the bolt hold open does not work with the Glock lowers and something about the Glock lower parts could be unique/proprietary. Does anyone know if these are true?

http://out-of-battery.com/ar9-deciding-glock-compatible-lower-colt-pattern-lower/

◾Bolt hold-open functionality on empty magazines does not exist with Glock compatible lowers.
    ◾Requires unique/proprietary parts which increases costs associated with the initial build and any ongoing maintenance/repairs.

These are my beliefs as well, which was one reason I went with the Colt design. Besides, the Colt design is much cooler looking! :D

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    These are my beliefs as well, which was one reason I went with the Colt design. Besides, the Colt design is much cooler looking! :D

If that's true about the Glock lower, I don't think many people know about this. This is completely new to me. I don't believe I have ever heard of this. If true, that would be a deal killer for the Glock lower for me.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom