• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Any retailers in the area have a mini-14 on the shelf ? or even a mini-30. Leaning towards one but before I plunk down $$ I would like to hold one and make sure its going to 'feel right' and not be too small/length of pull be not enough for myself.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    If an IP doesn't respond...check out your local Walmart. They may have one in stock for you to finger and familiarize with.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Forgot about them.. truth be told I do not care much for that store but I do work about 5 minutes away so I'll try them tomorrow.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Shame you aren't closer, I would let you shoot mine. I love it! I have the tactical model in 223/556.

The recoil impulse is really nice, I may actually like it better than my ARs....

Will shoot steel cased ammo all day in the .223/5.56

However lots of bad reviews for the Mini 30 in 762X39. Light strikes.....

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Shame you aren't closer, I would let you shoot mine. I love it! I have the tactical model in 223/556.

The recoil impulse is really nice, I may actually like it better than my ARs....

Will shoot steel cased ammo all day in the .223/5.56

However lots of bad reviews for the Mini 30 in 762X39. Light strikes.....

I have the same rifle. Love mine as well. I prefer shooting it to my AR rifles.

hermyjoe

Feb 5, 2012
    riverdale md
    I was in united gun shop- Rockville on Saturday. they had one. check page 357, post number 3564 on their listing. mini 30, it is a stainless in 7.62x39

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have a Mini 30 I’ll let go for 650 (OBRO)

Great condition, wood stock, two mags (5 rd and 10rd).

Here’s the honest long and short. The minis just do things okay and at this point in my opinion they are a fun money gun. Mine has been flawless, zero issues. It would be a great range gun or an an ATV but it’s not as accurate as my ARs and not as historical or thrilling to me as my AKs.

I got 200 rounds through it and i bought it used but it looked brand new. Born on date of 93.

I am in MoCo

Last edited:

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Let the modding begin. Ordered the Ultimak scout rail to give the Aimpoint a new home.

Need to come up with something to catch brass. This thing launches it everywhere.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Let the modding begin. Ordered the Ultimak scout rail to give the Aimpoint a new home.

Need to come up with something to catch brass. This thing launches it everywhere.

Haha! Those eject brass like an @$$hole! Fun guns, enjoy it!

I have heard that you can somehow adjust the gas, and soften ejection, but then you risk giving up reliability. Never looked into it, so no idea what or how.

I will say, Rugers like Ruger mags. We tried aftermarket mini 14 mags and no bueno. Pony up the cash for real Ruger mags.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Haha! Those eject brass like an @$$hole! Fun guns, enjoy it!

I have heard that you can somehow adjust the gas, and soften ejection, but then you risk giving up reliability. Never looked into it, so no idea what or how.

I will say, Rugers like Ruger mags. We tried aftermarket mini 14 mags and no bueno. Pony up the cash for real Ruger mags.

Tapco gen ll works great. No problems at all. They just look stupid on a mini.

Every other aftermarket mag I have tried has been useless

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Toss one of these on and you can have your brass land right next to you instead of the next county.

https://www.accuracystore.com/index.php#!/Ruger-Mini-Gas-Blocks/c/19820113/offset=0&sort=nameAsc

Archangel also makes a really nice stock
    68350160_10220710894831088_3046913223564460032_o.jpg

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    It's a shame that Ruger doesn't modify them to accept AR mags. More versatility and compatibility in a mixed AR/Mini 14 household.

In this day and age Ruger is being smart by not making them even remotely 'compatible' with scary black evil things..

As it is none of my other things use 'standard pattern' magazines anyways so it was not a deal breaker for me.

Ordered another Aimpoint PRO to make its home on this one.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    It's a shame that Ruger doesn't modify them to accept AR mags. More versatility and compatibility in a mixed AR/Mini 14 household.

Eh, they aren't AR's, and I'm ok with that. Plenty of other things I own require their own mags. Plus the Mini 14 has been around for ages. No reason for them to change it once AR's became super popular.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    OP, consider leaving them in their original wood furniture. There's nothing like a nice Mini-14 in a polished wood stock. Looks like something John Wayne carried but with the firepower of an AR.

Change out the goofy Ruger rear sight for a TechSight and you'll be nailing 8" steel plates @ 100 yrds offhand. Roger also sells a pic rail for the 85- series Mini's you can mount optics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom