• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association (“MSRPA”) has filed a petition for a writ of certiorari in the United States Supreme Court in our case challenging the unconstitutional Maryland restrictions on carrying a handgun outside the home for self-defense, Malpasso v. Pallozzi.* MSRPA and its attorneys believe strongly that Maryland’s permitting scheme is flatly contrary to the Supreme Court’s holding in Heller and cannot survive under the Second Amendment.* We are pleased to welcome the former Solicitor General of the United States, Paul Clement, as lead counsel for our petition. Mr. Clement brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our case, and is considered by many to be one of the best Supreme Court advocates, having argued over 90 cases before the Court.

A copy of the filing is attached below and may also be found at the following link:*https://www.msrpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2019.09.26-Malpasso-Cert-Petition-FINAL.pdf.

MSRPA wishes to acknowledge the support of the National Rifle Association, without which this litigation would not be possible.

MSRPA is the flagship Gun Rights organization in and for the State of Maryland. The Association offers both individual and club memberships. Support of the shooting disciplines and legislative activities is primarily through a systems of committees. All participants are volunteers. View attachment 2019.09.26 Malpasso Cert Petition FINAL.pdf

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Both the Maryland Shall Issue and this look good at me as well as the New York rifle and pistol club vs State of New York!

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    With all the hammering firearms owners have gone through this year this is a bit of good news for a change. Luck to us all.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Thanks for relaying the support the NRA has given. I am a life member and I know Marylanders may feel left out at times, hopefully this case and others will break the legal log jam.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Plus with Paul Clements on board who has a TON of experience appearing before the bench presenting his case and most of time winning his cases as well really helps us and i bet Herr Frosh and his minions are not happy which suits me just fine and since reading the petition for cert I think their is a very good chance at least it will get on the docket for discussion and i will say no more because I do not want to be the one to jinks it...

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I hope SCOTUS takes up the case and decides in our favor. Best wishes to MSRPA in this action. I'm sure many of us will be following it closely. Not being a lawyer, can someone tell me when we can expect to see any action from SCOTUS on this petition? I know that they start their term next month and I'm assuming they probably have enough cases to fill their docket for the upcoming session, so would this case be taken up in October 2020 or might they take it earlier? Thanks for helping a non-lawyer understand the timing on this.

Cal68

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Plus with Paul Clements on board who has a TON of experience appearing before the bench presenting his case and most of time winning his cases as well really helps us and i bet Herr Frosh and his minions are not happy which suits me just fine and since reading the petition for cert I think their is a very good chance at least it will get on the docket for discussion and i will say no more because I do not want to be the one to jinks it...

I tried to read this as written... couldn't... had to stop and take a breath...:rolleyes:

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I hope SCOTUS takes up the case and decides in our favor. Best wishes to MSRPA in this action. I'm sure many of us will be following it closely. Not being a lawyer, can someone tell me when we can expect to see any action from SCOTUS on this petition? I know that they start their term next month and I'm assuming they probably have enough cases to fill their docket for the upcoming session, so would this case be taken up in October 2020 or might they take it earlier? Thanks for helping a non-lawyer understand the timing on this.

Cal68

Two weeks. :)

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I tried to read this as written... couldn't... had to stop and take a breath...:rolleyes:

Ya i wrote that early in the morning before my had my morning cup of Joe... I am very glad that Paul Clements is on our side since he has so much experience before SCOTUS arguing cases and I also hope this does give the DemoRATS in the MGA , Herr Baron Frosh and his minions starting with the top of MSP and the capt in charge of the MSP lic division a nice little migraine as well.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Saw this elsewhere, seems to sum it up:

Re. NYR&PA V. New York & Malpasso V. Pallozzi

“Let us hope Justice Thomas writes the controlling opinion and kicks the butt of those progressive judges, and justices who have evaded (by sidestepping) the settled law of Heller and McDonald for over ten years.”

Regards
    Jack

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Please refresh my memory on the timeline for a petition for cert, both if denied and if granted. Thanks.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    :fingerscrossed:

T-6 days until we find out whats happening with the other cases at SCOTUS Oct 1st.

I saw in another thread... MD was open carry until 1972? Is this true?

Maryland was constitutional carry, open or concealed, from 1894 (iirc) until 1972.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom