• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I'm interested in trap/skeet shooting and Loch Raven sounds like a nice relaxed place for a newbie. What are the rules on types of shotguns allowed? Do they sell you the shells? I have only two shottys, a Mossy 500 and Maverick 88 both with 19" barrels, would this be acceptable or should I look into a spare long barrel? Have been considering a Saiga 12 to compliment my converted 7.62, would I be able to shoot that there?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Their min. length is 18" and 19" is pretty short for the sport, although you won't get kicked off some eyebrows will be raised. They rent shotguns and sell shells.

How's the choke on them? Improved Cylinder or Skeet is preferred. Pumps are a handicap.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    There are a ton of threads about clays in general, and some specifically about LRSTC.

We meet up there thursday evenings, and shoot a round or two. Open invite.

Use the search feature and you will find alot of great info, and post in those threads if you have any questions about them.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I would say pick up a 28" barrel for the Mossy with an adjustable choke. Keeps the shot groups tighter for a longer distance and a longer barrel will also help with reducing the recoil. Happy shooting, clay sports are an addiction! :D

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Clay shooting is addicting. I know I'm hooked and in the last several weeks I haven't shot anything else. I've bought two shottys and plotting a third!

I'm not sure what their limit is (Bikebreath mentioned 18"). But that's not a good barrel length for clays. Some of the shots can be 30-40 yards (trap & wobble). Skeet shots are all under 30 yds. I've not seen anyone there shooting under a 26" barrel, but that doesn't mean it can't be done with shorter. I personally use a 28" on my 20g O/U and 30" on my 12g Browning semi-auto.

Choke selection does matter. I've found that a good "all-around" choke for trap, wobble and sporting clays is "Light Modified." I've only shot skeet a few times with the Browning, and used the improved cylinder choke that came with it, but have just ordered myself a pair of skeet chokes for my O/U as I'm pretty sure it's going to be my preferred gun for skeet.

Loch Raven does rent guns (Beretta's, I believe) and they sell shells - though it's cheaper to bring your own. Loch Raven is a nice place to shoot. Friendly staff and I've met some nice folks who have willingly imparted some of their knowledge to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom