Ruger Gunsite Scout or Mossberg MVP Patrol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Ok guys. I NEED a .308 rifle. I want it to be a bolt gun with iron sights. I most likely won't be scoping it. Maybe a small red dot though. I dunno yet. Enter the Ruger Gunsite and the Mossberg MVP Patrol. They both look as if they fit the bill but the only thing I know about them is the RGS takes expensive proprietary mags and the MVP takes most AR10 mags. I have held both and they both feel very nice to me. I would like all the hard facts and opinions y'all can muster on these two rifles. Go!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I found a really good video on You Tube comparing the two rifles. I'll find it later and add it in this post.

IIRC they favored the MVP. If i were in the market i would go that route too with everything i have seen and read

ETA; here's the video

[YT]mMSydO0ALlA[/YT]

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The MVP Patrol weighs 1lb more than the RGS in synthetic stock.

The MVP Patrol takes M1A and SR25 mags.

The MVP Patrol has a normal scope rail out of the box. The RGS is scout scopes only unless you buy a $90 rail from XS.

The RGS has better irons than the MVP Patrol.

Neither is a sub-MOA rifle.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have the Mossberg MVP and Gunsight. The Gunsight has good irons, is much better constructed etc. Better balance, though my MVP is .223 so it may not be a fair comparison.

The Gunsight mags are not as much of a problem as Ruger makes a very nice poly 5 and 10rd mag in the $20 some dollar range. Definitely a better deal than the accuracy international metal mags The poly mags are well constructed, lighter and double stack so they are shorter.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If it were me, I'd lean towards the MVP. Much cheaper, and I doubt I'd be using the irons much with a reflex sight or scope. Extra lb of weight sucks, but such is life... not like I go hunting. :)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have the Mossberg MVP and Gunsight. The Gunsight has good irons, is much better constructed etc. Better balance, though my MVP is .223 so it may not be a fair comparison.

The Gunsight mags are not as much of a problem as Ruger makes a very nice poly 5 and 10rd mag in the $20 some dollar range. Definitely a better deal than the accuracy international metal mags The poly mags are well constructed, lighter and double stack so they are shorter.

I forgot to mention that I am a sucker for laminate.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I did feel like the sights on the ruger were better than those on the MVP. The price deference between the two guns is what I'm trying to figure out. RHS at about $800 and the MVP around $600. Is the extra $200 for the ruger worth it? That's a good bit of ammo or accessories. I do like the laminate stock quite a bit on the Ruger, but the synthetic stock of the MVP felt good and very surdy. Ahh! So many choices!!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Ruger is twice the quality of Mossberg when it comes to rifles.

Spend the extra 200.

PS: Rush L. is talking about that PSA about the teen stealing his mom's gun.

WOW! He spent a whole 3 minutes on it.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    The MVP Patrol weighs 1lb more than the RGS in synthetic stock.

The MVP Patrol takes M1A and SR25 mags.

The MVP Patrol has a normal scope rail out of the box. The RGS is scout scopes only unless you buy a $90 rail from XS.

The RGS has better irons than the MVP Patrol.

Neither is a sub-MOA rifle.

My ruger scout came with scope rings as well. They can be mounted on the reciever like a normal rifle scope or you have the option to use the scout rail. Not sure if that will help your decision. Personally I like the scout but have not had hands on experience with the mvp patrol. I did have a mvp varmint model in.223 and it was decent.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    I own a GSR, not a fan of laminate and they now have different stocks....

I WANT an MVP.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GSR, more accurate then I am out to 200 yds; I just don't like the mags (or really the idea of propieratary mags).

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I just got a Savage model 11 scout form Duffy's. That is THE best. I looked at all three. Only negative is magazine cost and availability. Action is smooth. Sights good. Accu-stock and the great Accutrigger. They could be harder to find. Got mine for $700.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    IMG_20150703_125421_770.jpg
    This is a Savage Scout

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I love the concept. My brother got a Remington Model 7 in .243 the first year they came out,what 1985? Love short rifle with iron sights.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I had a Ruger Scout but sold it as it was heavy and thick. I have smaller hands just didn't work for me. It shot great on the bench but that's not where you use these rifles. I now have Mossberg Patrol and love it. Lighter stock smaller and very easy to use. Shoots good. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom