• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbrenner

Jan 31, 2011
    Behind the Iron Curtain
    Hi all,

I am looking to find a .44 mag lever rifle to be a mate for my .44 mag Ruger SBH and was looking for feedback from those with experience. I have never owned or shot a lever action before.

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will get from you all.:)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Get a "pre-Remlin/Marlington" Marlin 1894 or 1894S (The 1894CB is a GREAT rifle, too.) The 1894CB has an octagonal barrel, and is called "The Cowboy Rifle".

Look for the "JM" proofmark, on the left side (side opposite from loading gate) of the barrel.

The older Marlin rifles (pre-merger/buyout with Remington) rifles command a premium, now. Be prepared.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I read somewhere that Marlin (Remington) stopped production of the 1894. It's a shame. I know that Winchester used to make the 1894 in 44 Mag, and Miroku is making Winchester marked 1892 rifles in 44Mag equal in quality to pre64 guns.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The Marlin's are great, but are rapdily exceeding their benefits in price. I have an 1894P and its a great gun.

Consider the Rossi 92, they are a little rougher and require a little work to get perfect but extremely accurate and you wont be afraid to get a ding on it.

Fortunately the .44 magnum guns are the easiest and cheapest to get (.357's command a premium currently).

thai

May 8, 2013
    I prefer the Ruger. It is built like a tank and will digestany modern loads available. If you handload, you will be able to roll hotter loads than most other 44mag lever rifles out there. The Ruger will do everything you ask for and at a vreat price.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have a mint Winchester large loop lever in .44 mag on consignment. Upgraded sights a real tack driver. Contact me if interested.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I had an 1894ss marlin that was the newer one. I would stay away from the newer one. My friend hunts with a Henry in 44 and has nothing but good things to say about them

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have a mint Winchester large loop lever in .44 mag on consignment. Upgraded sights a real tack driver. Contact me if interested.

I forgot about that, that is a very sharp gun for those who like large loops. I saw it in person if the OP wants someone to vouch for A1 on this.

I still may have one of those Rossi .44-40's sent your way myself.......a caliber I always wanted to play with.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I have had my 3 Henry .22s for a few years and all are amazing quality. For and finish are second to none. Accuracy is fantastic. I just picked up the Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt today and quality is just as good as their other rifles. IMHO, there is no other US company that matches the quality for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom