• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Can you ask him exactly what he put on the application? I'm shocked that the MSP would grant a CCW permit request for "collection activities". If they do maybe we have a shot at getting one.
    You have to remember that Maryland cares more about how much money one has to protect than ones life being protected. Five machine guns is probably in the $50,000 to $100,000 range in value and maybe that had a lot to do with it.

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    You have to remember that Maryland cares more about how much money one has to protect than ones life being protected. Five machine guns is probably in the $50,000 to $100,000 range in value and maybe that had a lot to do with it.

plus, they wouldn't want them falling into criminal's hands, so best to let the owner protect himself and those EVIL machine guns.

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    I do.

One of the customers are the range has a carry permit "for collection activities"

He is into machine guns, he owns 5 or 6.

Any of those terrible restrictions? Like only while in the act of transporting the machine guns?

I know the MSP loves to tack on a restriction so that you aren't really in the "club" of those that can carry all the time. That really irritates me that someone finally gets a permit then can only carry during very specific times (like only when carrying large sums of money to the bank for your business).
    I guess that is the price i have to pay by being a second class citizen and not LEO.

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    I got my collector's letter so that i could buy multiple AR15 lowers at a time, but I haven't used it yet.

One thing i noted, there is a section on the form or somewhere that indicated you could buy 2 regulated weapons at one time if you are doing it to get a better price, without having the collector's letter. You do however have to wait 60 days to get your next regulated weapon. I was going to buy 2 AR15 lowers from RBPrecision once because they offer discounts for 2 lowers. I really would like to buy 3 or 4 at a time just because I can, but I would need to come up with $300-$400.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've used the collector status many times over the last 8 years. Just recently, I've bought a complete AR15 lower, a Walther P22 and a Ruger P345 all within a week's time frame. I will come up on some great deals and realized that I could lose the deals by not being able to buy more than one restricted firearm in any 30 day period. Become a collector, even if you never benefit from it. If nothing more, it lets the Md State Police know that there are more people interested in guns then most would think.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I got mine because I planned to buy 2 handguns at once. I got both of them from Lou's sporting goods up in Bowie and he suggested the license to me. Paid for my xd and 1911 and he sent in the paperwork. I got the license back from MSP about 10 days later. I had both pistols in hand within 2 weeks.

Havn't used it since, but it worked out well for that transaction.

It all comes down to being in this horrible state and having to Justify to the MSP why you "should" have the RIGHT to protect you life with whatever means necessary. :tdown:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I received my "designated collector" letter from the MSP today. It took exactly one month from the day I mailed it. Now I'm going to go clean out the black rifle section of the local gun store. Oh wait, that takes money, and none of the local stores have a black rifle section anyway... :sad20: Either way, it gave me butterflies in my stomach when I read that I no longer have to abide by the 1 in 30 rule. Hopefully I can use it someday.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    Congratulations, I have used my status a couple of times and I love being able to do that.. To bad we still have to wait the initial 7 days tho

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    With my birthday and X-mas coming up, hopefully I'll get enough spare cash to utilize my status, but I really shouldn't. I'm making next to nothing.... *sigh.* there's always next year!

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Ok so I just printed up the form and am filling it out... Wtf is the nature of my collecting activities? Collecting and enjoying C&R and Modern Militaria or something to that extent is what I'm thinking of putting

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Ok so I just printed up the form and am filling it out... Wtf is the nature of my collecting activities? Collecting and enjoying C&R and Modern Militaria or something to that extent is what I'm thinking of putting
    I think I ran out of room, but I think I put collecting for value and investment and collecting for the curio aspect or something along those lines.
    I don't want to be the one who tries to see this, but I bet if you put anything to do with collecting they will not deny the status and the only way they might is if someone put they were building up an aresenal planning the overthrow of the government with their own private army or something blatant like that.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I put, and know others who have put, "Personal collection" and have had no problems.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I put collecting modern and historical firearms. It's nice to have because you don't have to worry about the 30 days. Also, if you see a deal you can pick up two and save on transfer costs. I used it recently...I purchased two regulated rifles last month and an AK receiver.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I received my "designated collector" letter from the MSP today. It took exactly one month from the day I mailed it. Now I'm going to go clean out the black rifle section of the local gun store. Oh wait, that takes money, and none of the local stores have a black rifle section anyway... :sad20: Either way, it gave me butterflies in my stomach when I read that I no longer have to abide by the 1 in 30 rule. Hopefully I can use it someday.

I thought the Armory in Annapolis had a pretty nice black rifle section. Also the Gun Rack in Burtonsville also has plenty of rifles that would piss off even the most conservative of liberals. :lol2:

MPSP100

Nov 26, 2007
    Baltimore
    I thought the Armory in Annapolis had a pretty nice black rifle section. Also the Gun Rack in Burtonsville also has plenty of rifles that would piss off even the most conservative of liberals. :lol2:

Do they ever, it's been forever that i've been in there. However, I just remember saying Holy ...... when I walked in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom