• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm perverse enough to load some .50 BMG with Trail Boss . Pleasant shooting even at shorter distances associated with "normal" rifles. And still plenty of ft lb to be Md legal for deer .

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Quantico Shooting Club.

Trying to join the club has always been a mystery to me. I checked it out long ago, either they don't have any openings, or the openings are rationed out by status, or you have to meet certain requirements like living within a certain distance, etc, etc...

http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/membership

Not sure if the eligibility requirements still exist. Thank gawd for the AGC... close to me and I can still shoot my Barrett there.

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Trying to join the club has always been a mystery to me. I checked it out long ago, either they don't have any openings, or the openings are rationed out by status, or you have to meet certain requirements like living within a certain distance, etc, etc...

http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/membership

Not sure if the eligibility requirements still exist. Thank gawd for the AGC... close to me and I can still shoot my Barrett there.

I just trolled their website and I qualify for their requirements except for one thing, I don't live in the Quantico area. I live 2 hours north from them and that would mean I am out of their MOA range.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I'm driving down tomorrow to join the club id it isnt raining. They should have 5 new openings for civilians because I'm doing a family membership. I thought they allow 50 on range 4.

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    I'm driving down tomorrow to join the club id it isnt raining. They should have 5 new openings for civilians because I'm doing a family membership. I thought they allow 50 on range 4.

Their websit says they allow 50 BMG but you can only use ball rounds.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Check utube, there was a guy there trying to head shot a deer at 1000 yards, he was close, didn't hit the deer but the turbulence was such that he missed the head and the round passing the deer killed it but it sucked the eyes right out of her head.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Check utube, there was a guy there trying to head shot a deer at 1000 yards, he was close, didn't hit the deer but the turbulence was such that he missed the head and the round passing the deer killed it but it sucked the eyes right out of her head.

Theres a whole thread about that. Theory is it went through the eye sockets.

Zeke

Teach your children well
    Jul 16, 2014
    Sharpsburg
    20 years ago there was a club near Thurmont that reportedly had a 1000yd range. I don't know if it's still there nor the max caliber allowed.

It's a haul of a drive, but there may be a place in West Virginia that will accommodate long distance big rounds. Call 340Defense and ask them if they know of a place.

Good luck!
    Cheers,
    -Zeke
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"We have met the enemy and he is us." --Walt Kelly (1913-1973)

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Theres a whole thread about that. Theory is it went through the eye sockets.

I don't believe that for a minute, I've shot my Barrett enough and at various objects to know even if it did go through the eye sockets there wouldn't be enough of the head left to identify where it entered or exited. Bought new in 1991, have ran thousands of rounds through it, 2 digit serial number, will shoot through 2' of white oak at 500 meters, very cool rifle and a pleasure to operate, I don't cater to theories I operate in real time, sorry to offend anyone but the truth is the truth.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I don't believe that for a minute, I've shot my Barrett enough and at various objects to know even if it did go through the eye sockets there wouldn't be enough of the head left to identify where it entered or exited. Bought new in 1991, have ran thousands of rounds through it, 2 digit serial number, will shoot through 2' of white oak at 500 meters, very cool rifle and a pleasure to operate, I don't cater to theories I operate in real time, sorry to offend anyone but the truth is the truth.

I believe that.

What I can't believe is that the bullet missed and sucked the eyes out. There are numerous yt experiment videos that show even the largest caliber projectiles do not actually create a "shockwave" that could even blow over an empty water bottle, let alone kill a living animal.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    I believe that.

What I can't believe is that the bullet missed and sucked the eyes out. There are numerous yt experiment videos that show even the largest caliber projectiles do not actually create a "shockwave" that could even blow over an empty water bottle, let alone kill a living animal.

Ya gotta stop watching the vids that show "experts" shooting things 50-100 feet away. The projectile has no time to stablize and any disturbance in the air around the bullet is not going to form right out of the muzzle. I by no means am an expert but I have owned a .50 since 1991 and have seen what it can and cannot do.

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland

Demolition Ranch proved that theory of killing a deer by a near miss is false.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Ya gotta stop watching the vids that show "experts" shooting things 50-100 feet away. The projectile has no time to stablize and any disturbance in the air around the bullet is not going to form right out of the muzzle. I by no means am an expert but I have owned a .50 since 1991 and have seen what it can and cannot do.

Nope, not buying it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Only one way to be sure.

Who wants to stand down-range for this experiment??? :evilgrin3

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member