• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Punisher

Apr 21, 2018
    My Requirement: Modular platform allowing a 3 Lug to fire unsuppressed while maintaining the SD look rail when suppressed.

I was very happy with a 9mm AR build but its recessed hand rail (SD) limited the platform. Its a 4" BBL, 1/2x28" with a 3 Lug mounted, pushing it a little longer. The 7" rail gave a nice SD look, but I wanted an option to use it without the can. Adding a 3 Lug flash hider pushed its length out little further, but it was still inside the rail.

Problem 1: The Aero Precision rail uses proprietary barrel nuts and do not sell short rails.

Problem 2: IMHO Keymod style rails in 4"-5" range are way over priced for the function its providing on a 4.5" bbl.' Plus this needed a specific length and stock sizes would not cut it.

So I took a plunge and cut the rail. I am very happy with its results. The Manta defense Tac Wrap was the key to making it work, covering its uneven edges. I did have to trim the Tac Wrap on one side and push it back. The compromise covers the rail screws for a PITA disassembly. (*Tac Wraps are extremely tight when new. It is B to get them on. This one stretched out slightly over time. Adding a new one to a rail this size will be a challenge.)

It was easier than I thought and very happy with it. Measured where the flash hider sat outside the rail and cut a little further out. Jigsaw with hacksaw blade and hand filed the rest to size. Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black did a good job.

tPVh9fQ.jpg

0eXNAOQ.jpg

nvLJcFq.jpg

6KyAxbB.jpg

Z0JDzrf.jpg

Before

gleLaFM.jpg

After:party29:

gp3JZKV.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads