• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Holy crap that very thorough! Thanks.

I have a lot of shotguns but not a single semiautomatic - that's next on the list!

Yeah, Lucky Gunner has some great stuff on their blog, and a fantastic YouTube channel too. That, and more ammo than you can shake a stick at.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    A shotgun is my go-to for HD.

A miss is still a miss... there is very little spread at the distances in a house. But a hit--well, it's going to take a chunk out of someone. I regret not doing an SBS before the trust rules changed.

Anyone can handle 12 gauge, IMO. It just takes a little more training to lean into it and DEFINITELY some repetition to properly eject/load with authority. Early on I caught myself "short stroking" a pump way too often. I really like Russian VEPR auto-loaders but still have the pump in the closet.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    A shotgun is my go-to for HD.

A miss is still a miss... there is very little spread at the distances in a house. But a hit--well, it's going to take a chunk out of someone. I regret not doing an SBS before the trust rules changed.

Anyone can handle 12 gauge, IMO. It just takes a little more training to lean into it and DEFINITELY some repetition to properly eject/load with authority. Early on I caught myself "short stroking" a pump way too often. I really like Russian VEPR auto-loaders but still have the pump in the closet.

I have an SB Tactical Brace on my Tac-14, handles like an SBS.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I am not a lawyer but it is kind of hard to imagine that if buck shot for defense was illegal and someone kicked in your door wanting to do you harm that you should have asked them to politely wait while you swap out the dangerous buckshot for a safer bird load to before defending yourself. That going down in court does not make sense unless you were out there extolling the virtues of 00 buck as a first line of defense publicly. Would they argue that 45-70 Government is too scary and so you have to submit to your attacker even if that happened to be all you had in arms reach?

Last edited:

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    What was so wrong with the good old days of - hey, you break in someone else's home, you become fair game for target practice!

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Speaking of Lucky Gunner's blog/video content, and 20ga for HD/SD, they just published this...

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/20-gauge-home-defense

Good video. I initially bought a 20G Mossberg 500 as my first shotgun for HD thinking it would also be easier for my wife to handle. Walmart had a box or two of #4, and slugs, but that was it. The lack of diversity in 20G defensive ammo eventually led me to trade my 20G Mossberg for a 12G shotgun. I love the amount of different ammo in 12G, but it also left one issue. The wife. She was too scared to shoot the 12G. So, I bought a 410 and customized it for her. She likes it, and amazingly, the 410 has a more diverse selection of defensive ammo due to the poplularity of the Judge. But, that ammo seems to do really well out of the 18" barrel. We tested some on water jugs, and some loads were devastating compared to handgun rounds at the same distance. So, I have the 12G, she has a 410. Both happy. One funny thing, way back when, I had ordered some specialty 20G ammo from Parkalese technologies. I forgot about it. I ordered like 100 rounds. I had traded my 12G off when it finally arrived (after MONTHS) of waiting. I no longer had a 20G, so I listed it here for sale. Cheaper than I had paid for it, but I couldn't use it. Oddly, there was no interest in it, so I gave it to my brother, who got a 20G Mossberg 500. He shot a couple rounds, and it was some killer stuff. I don't even know if they are still in business.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Good video. I initially bought a 20G Mossberg 500 as my first shotgun for HD thinking it would also be easier for my wife to handle. Walmart had a box or two of #4, and slugs, but that was it. The lack of diversity in 20G defensive ammo eventually led me to trade my 20G Mossberg for a 12G shotgun. I love the amount of different ammo in 12G, but it also left one issue. The wife. She was too scared to shoot the 12G. So, I bought a 410 and customized it for her. She likes it, and amazingly, the 410 has a more diverse selection of defensive ammo due to the poplularity of the Judge. But, that ammo seems to do really well out of the 18" barrel. We tested some on water jugs, and some loads were devastating compared to handgun rounds at the same distance. So, I have the 12G, she has a 410. Both happy. One funny thing, way back when, I had ordered some specialty 20G ammo from Parkalese technologies. I forgot about it. I ordered like 100 rounds. I had traded my 12G off when it finally arrived (after MONTHS) of waiting. I no longer had a 20G, so I listed it here for sale. Cheaper than I had paid for it, but I couldn't use it. Oddly, there was no interest in it, so I gave it to my brother, who got a 20G Mossberg 500. He shot a couple rounds, and it was some killer stuff. I don't even know if they are still in business.

Did you ever Limbsaver pads on the 12g? Really makes a big difference.

The only round I refuse to shoot through my 12 is a 3", unpleasant is an understatement.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Did you ever Limbsaver pads on the 12g? Really makes a big difference.

The only round I refuse to shoot through my 12 is a 3", unpleasant is an understatement.

I've shot them, fair amount of recoil that I wouldn't want a steady diet of, much like a 7MM Mag that was not a fun day at the range shooting 100 of them.

I wonder what it's like to take that up a notch to say a 338 Win Mag or even bigger? 06 is in my comfort zone much like 2 3/4 12 ga which even in magnum form is no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom