• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Shot other ppl’s AR-15s plenty but now I want to buy or build my own just in time for the next attempt to ban them. Considered buying a full E4 from Engage but I think I’d prefer to save a little loot.

Question 1: Is this a good deal and a good MD compliant upper? Friend of mine just ordered one of these for himself but he’s similarly new to the AR world: https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=160

Question 2: Assuming I decide to buy a full lower, what’s a good match for that upper in the 250-300ish range?

I haven’t ruled out an 80% or a stripped lower but under current circumstances not sure what’s tougher to buy and implement.

And does anyone know what’s up with the Frederick show this weekend, ie will they carry AR stuff and would I be likely to find quality parts? I may just head up there with a big wad of cash.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    bump...and someone talk me out of just going to Engage Armament in the next day or two and getting an E4. From their site it looks like it’s in stock and for 1150, which seems like a good deal for a high quality rifle.

This would be all-purpose - defense, 3-gun...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    bump...and someone talk me out of just going to Engage Armament in the next day or two and getting an E4. From their site it looks like it’s in stock and for 1150, which seems like a good deal for a high quality rifle.

These days, 1150 is a fair price for a high quality rifle.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    These days, 1150 is a fair price for a high quality rifle.

I’m wondering if that’s just a not-updated pre pandemic price on their site.

Looks like I could also go with Rock River for both the upper and complete lower for 600ish and 230, respectively.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Plenty of quality brands - BCM, Geissele, Daniel Defense, Colt, SOLGW, LWRCI to name a few. If you're on more of a budget, there's Windham, Aero Precision, and S&W. Personally, if you're totally new to AR's, I'd buy a complete "mid-range" rifle and modify to suit your tastes.

Buying a lower is never a bad idea though and allows you to get the firearm today and figure out what you really want later. No idea what the gun shows are like, but you can probably find something there.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m wondering if that’s just a not-updated pre pandemic price on their site.

Looks like I could also go with Rock River for both the upper and complete lower for 600ish and 230, respectively.

$830 for a RRA is high, but probably a sign of the times. The Engage rifle is a little inflated, too..IMO. the problem is that people are panic buying. If you find a lower for a good price, you can probably build a rifle cheaper if you are patient and look around.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Plenty of quality brands - BCM, Geissele, Daniel Defense, Colt, SOLGW, LWRCI to name a few. If you're on more of a budget, there's Windham, Aero Precision, and S&W. Personally, if you're totally new to AR's, I'd buy a complete "mid-range" rifle and modify to suit your tastes.

Buying a lower is never a bad idea though and allows you to get the firearm today and figure out what you really want later. No idea what the gun shows are like, but you can probably find something there.

Someone posted a link for a Geissele from Primary Arms that looked really nice, but was like 1700. I *could* swing that but I’d rather save some money for other new toys, and good optics. As you said for a first one maybe better to go a bit cheaper.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've got an engage upper that's worked great for thousands of rounds. If you decide to go that route, they used to be one of the top recommendations around here.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've got an engage upper that's worked great for thousands of rounds. If you decide to go that route, they used to be one of the top recommendations around here.

My Engage upper/lower sets are great.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Someone may talk you out of it but it won’t be me. I have 4 of their stripped lower/upper sets and a complete E4 rifle from them. Love their stuff.
    9c5673f9740a6f04c1d32cf6d652135a.jpg

aea2feb2b6f7ec9bd5e8c430c425ce30.jpg

a8c238784255e5524ef5fa7aa3e55bef.jpg

bbad995e3aa99c17699ba46c995630c2.jpg

2df36fc478291998eb96f09dfc47e3ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I wouldn’t buy a Geissele rifle unless you can get it for $1500 or so. It’s a nice firearm but not perfect. The ones that have been run hard at work do pretty well, but experience malfunctions like any other AR. Accuracy is fine but nothing to write home about. If I were going to buy a rifle right now and wanted to stay at $1500 or below, I’d buy a Centurion Arms mid weight CM4.

https://centurionarms.com/firearms/midweight-cm4-complete-rifle/

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Someone may talk you out of it but it won’t be me. I have 4 of their stripped lower/upper sets and a complete E4 rifle from them. Love their stuff.
    9c5673f9740a6f04c1d32cf6d652135a.jpg

aea2feb2b6f7ec9bd5e8c430c425ce30.jpg

a8c238784255e5524ef5fa7aa3e55bef.jpg

bbad995e3aa99c17699ba46c995630c2.jpg

2df36fc478291998eb96f09dfc47e3ff.jpg

Nice nose art on the next to last one, they do all that stuff in house right?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Nice nose art on the next to last one, they do all that stuff in house right?

I built all of those rifles except one. For the one with the nose art, I bought the stripped upper and lower already painted. I bought a rail and then paid Engage to paint it to match the upper/lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom