• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Lots of C&R today but it was of the sporting variety with lots of Winchesters and Colts. Wearing tan trousers and a red golf shirt I was a beacon in a sea of flannel and camo.
    -There were three items of interest today that got me out on the road to Gettysburg. A pristine, boxed Colt Woodsman Target Match pistol, a Remington 51 in .380 and what was labeled a Savage 1907 auto pistol in .380.
    -From the advance photos I knew that the Savage wasn't a 1907 but a very rare model 1915 with grip safety and magazine hold open device. I've wanted a 1915 for years now but nice examples fetch $800-900 and rarely come to market. This one was only in fair to good condition and boo-hiss, it was missing the original magazine that activates the hold open (any Savage Model 1917 magazine will work in the 1915, but it doesn't activate the hold open device lever so that feature is inoperable). Those mags are impossible to find so I put a bidding limit of $500 in my head. In the end that's exactly what it cost me to get it as one other bidder must have known what it was too and drove me to my limit. I'll keep an eye out for the right mag, might just hit the jackpot some day.
    -The Colt Woodsman sold for an eye-popping $2400 which exceeded my estimate of $1500 by a long shot. It was an excellent example but somebody really wanted it bad.
    -The Remington went for a very strong $575, which is current market value (it was a nice example). I'd been more interested if it was one of the harder to find .32 models.
    -The Savage 1915, chambered for both .32 and .380, was only built from 1915 - 1917 during WWI before being replaced by the Model 1917 (see photo below that shows the 1915 next to a 1917, both in .380). Total production of the .380 version was 3,900. The vast majority of these, about 3,500, were built in 1915 with a mere 250 in 1916 and only 150 in 1917. Mine was one of the last 150 built in 1917. It was a failure design-wise in that the slide hold open feature didn't work well and was easily broken (I took a look at the lever that does the work and it is a bit suspect for strength). And it was a commercial failure in that Savage sold it for the same price as the previous Model 1907 but the grip safety and magazine hold open meant that it cost more to produce so profit margins were thinner. Eventually more lucrative military contracts (Savage produced Lewis guns during WWI) sidelined the 1915 for good.
    -The other item I got was a wonderful Al Freeland Regal bipod spotting scope stand with two extension rods and the zoom head. I've been lurking about Evil Pay for a nice example for years but they're in demand and usually bring out lots of aggressive bidding. This time I won out cheap: $100 (these sell new for around $190 with the two extra rods).

Attachments

• IMGP7235_Fotor.jpg
      IMGP7235_Fotor.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 369
    • IMGP7236_Fotor.jpg
      IMGP7236_Fotor.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 376
    • IMGP7237_Fotor.jpg
      IMGP7237_Fotor.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 362
    • IMGP7238_Fotor.jpg
      IMGP7238_Fotor.jpg
      24.3 KB · Views: 365
    • IMGP7240_Fotor.jpg
      IMGP7240_Fotor.jpg
      45.6 KB · Views: 358
    • IMGP7242_Fotor.jpg
      IMGP7242_Fotor.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 369
    • IMGP7248_Fotor.jpg
      IMGP7248_Fotor.jpg
      38.5 KB · Views: 358
    • IMGP7247_Fotor.jpg
      IMGP7247_Fotor.jpg
      44 KB · Views: 358
    Jul 1, 2012
    Love the Savage! glad you got it and it was a worthwhile trip up the road...
    What series was the Match Target?

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Nice scores Mawkie! The small calibre Savage from the early 1900s is on my list, nice to learn a little more about them on this thread.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Love the Savage! glad you got it and it was a worthwhile trip up the road...
    What series was the Match Target?

Second series. About a 98-99 point example. I've been watching these for a while and eventually will make a move for one if I don't get sidetracked by a Hi Standard space gun (I'm a Colt guy but do love my HS .22s too!).
    There were collectible Colt .45 SA revolver lots this day so it attracted some serious Colt collectors with deep pockets.
    Redding has another weekend of collectibles coming up before taking a hiatus for a month. Will have to see if there's anything interesting in there.

Jul 1, 2012
    2nd series is my favorite cause of the 1911-style mag release. The heel release sucks. Not sure why they went back to it in Series 3. That seems like an awfully high price but Woodsmans are funny that way!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Have a friend who inherited his 2nd series Woodsman Match from his father and the apparent downside is getting mags that support the release unique to this series. Otherwise I agree with you and have been focusing on the 2nd series in my search. Though I wouldn't throw out a good 3rd series for eating crackers in bed...
    Can't wait to see photos of your new Model 1917! The more I look at the auction listing the more I like it. Esp. considering that it's in .380 (much more desirable since they were produced in much lower numbers).

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    ^^^ Agreed. the 1917 is a nice one, I didn't know the .380 was more rarer than the .32

Jul 1, 2012
    Most of the aftermarket Woodsman mags have the release slot for Series II. Got a few Colt-marked factory replacements with the slot too. I haven't shot it enough to know if these are reliable, though. Sounds like a fun afternoon to find out!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    ^^^ Agreed. the 1917 is a nice one, I didn't know the .380 was more rarer than the .32

Funny how the market works. Savage released the 1917 in .380 first and it had sluggish sales. Then they introduced it in .32 and sales took off. Pretty much mirrored what happened with the previous models 1907 and 1915.
    Then you look at the Remington 51, Walther PPK and Mauser HSc and the opposite is true. All these designs sold much better in the US market chambered in .380 vs .32. Go figure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom