• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    I'm buying a home in Baltimore City and the house has some foundation issues. It's a cinder block walls basement and there is some hairline cracks between the cinder blocks, and in order to get a FHA loan, a structural engineer has to look at it. Anyone recommend anyone, or is there someone on here certified to do it? I'm pretty sure the house isn't gonna collapse but I can't get the loan without it.

Thanks

RileysDad

Dec 10, 2013
    Bethesda
    If you still need one, shoot me a PM. I have a guy that I use all the time, he's working on a couple projects for me right now. Phd in material sciences, super sharp and he won't waste your time.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Is there displacement within the block or just cracked mortar? If it's just cracked mortar, the bank is just being anal. All block walls will have this cracking within the mortar bed. Have a mason repoint the mortar and be done with it.

Jim Smith

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    Is there displacement within the block or just cracked mortar? If it's just cracked mortar, the bank is just being anal. All block walls will have this cracking within the mortar bed. Have a mason repoint the mortar and be done with it.

Jim Smith

It's just hairline cracks between the cinderblocks in the mortar. A few blocks 2 blocks have cracks in the center. They are the only cracks that even remotely bother me. I will post a picture for you later when I get home.

Thanks

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    This is interesting topic. I will post another thread later about cracks in my drywall; and ask for opinions.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It's just hairline cracks between the cinderblocks in the mortar. A few blocks 2 blocks have cracks in the center. They are the only cracks that even remotely bother me. I will post a picture for you later when I get home.

Thanks
    As J H Smith says above, mortar cracks are normal and usually of no real consequence.

Cracks that pass through the block itself are most often structural issues having to do with a footing defect and should be addressed as such, not simply filled and repaired in a cosmetic sense.

If you have not yet settled the deal, you might want to get an engineer to look at it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom