• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you support universal background checks on all gun purchases?

• Yes

Votes: 32 8.8%
    • No

Votes: 330 91.2%

• Total voters

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    If it was just a normal background check I would be ok with it. The problem is it never is normal and I do not trust the government.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I could have voted yes.

However, I can't trust them.

Universal background checks CAN BE done without creating a registry, but I do not trust them to "do the right thing".

Look at MD, supposedly data is destroyed and not kept, yet we know they have a registry built from background check data.

No trust == no background checks

.. and now that we know 100% they are keeping records, will we do anything about it.. ??

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You've got the think outside the box (Maryland). We are pretty well prodded and molested here in MD, but in most places there isn't much of a check. While there are few straw purchases in MD, there are lots in other places. I've heard more than once most of the illegal guns in MD come from VA. If the rest of the country just did NICS checks on all purchases, a lot of the issues would be solved.

If it's left up to the antis, they will have us all tattooed. If we keep up with the "NOT NOTHEN!" rhetoric, the antis will pass their version of "back round" checks. Just like they did in Maryland, only worse.

bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    No. We already have enough gun laws. The NICS check isn't even applied correctly. Fix the current system before trying to sell me on a new one.

The first questions that should be asked are - what's the goal? how do you measure success? What is the likelihood of success?

The gun control crowd says that the goal is to reduce gun violence and prevent mass shootings. Well, since the guns used in all of the major mass shootings were purchased legally, from dealers, after 1986, it is pretty reasonable to assume that the buyers passed the NICS check. Didn't do much to stop the crimes. Most crimes are not committed by people who would normally pass a check. According to the Bureau of Statistics (2007), 94% of gun crimes were committed by people who were prohibited from gun ownership or who used illegally-obtained guns...the rest may have been committed by those who can legally own guns...so how will another layer of 'checks' help?

Given the track record of the government, on the federal and state level, with respect to 'mission creep,' I find it difficult, at best, to believe that universal checks won't eventually lead to universal registration...and whatever comes next. The anti-2A crowd has made it clear...they want to ban private ownership of guns completely...how can we trust any one of them who says 'this is all we need?' The WH has already made it clear that they believe that the success of universal checks relies on combining them with a universal database (registration).

In 2010, there were 72k NICS denials out of over 6M apps...1%...and very few of the denials were prosecuted for whatever reason. How's that working out?
    Some think universal checks will reduce straw purchases. Well, criminals already get many of their guns via straw purchases. They are already illegal. You might prevent a law-abider from unknowingly selling his/her gun FTF to someone who would fail the NICS but how many times does this happen? The burden of proving benefit, once again, falls on the proponent of the restriction, not those protecting a RIGHT.

How many criminals will decide not to buy a gun due to universal BC's? Most get them illegally already. The real question is how many of the FTF transfers would fail NICS and how many of those people would comply with universal BCs? I don't have the answer, but as many have said, criminals don't care a bit about the law...if they did, they wouldn't be criminals.

If you look at the history of 'gun control' in this country, the give-and-take of politics has ALWAYS been the taking of rights. When was the last time a law was passed (at the federal level, anyway) that expanded individual rights? They all seem to restrict them one way or another. And each time, the willing public is sold the line that 'this is the last law' or 'this common-sense restriction will save lives or reduce crime'...and then they come back to pass yet another law.

I say 'don't give another inch.'

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I want a 100% check of proof of citizenship for public office. 97% are with me.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I'd be OK with a NICS check for all purchases. But only if there's no records kept. I would prefer none, but lets face it, guns are making it into the wrong hands. Not all of them by theft. We suffer every time one gets used in a crime. If we don't come up with a good solution, the antis will come up with a bad one! Anybody hear about what just happened in Maryland?

It's quite simple really, open the NICS system to individuals to run a check on a private sale if they choose to.

Another option used in other states is to only sell to a person with a CCW permit.

Those are really the only acceptable options.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    The big elephant in the room is that criminals don't get background checks.
    It's a false premise.

Exactly. Want to keep the instant check with FFLs that is fine (I guess). No wait, and will keep the undesirables out of gun shops, but a part of me even wants to say F that. Any FTF purchase should be none of .gov's business. Only law abiding people would ever follow it, just another pointless intrusion on the good guys.

Bravo757

Stand In The Gap
    Apr 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    So far this poll makes us look like we're all a bunch of free thinking individual citizens who can read the powers "PROTECTED" by the Constitution and are also living free from the Obama-Mind-Control or as Holder put it ..."we'll have to brainwash people into looking at guns in a different way..." Hey Obama-Holder and all the rest of you of idiots who think that you can ruin our Grand 'Ol Lady of a Country - Brainwash This ____________________ feel free to fill in the gap as you see fit.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    So far it's a landslide....AGAINST Obama's claims...shocker.

I have yet to see the wording of the question in that survey. I'm guessing the answers don't quite mean what the president would like for then to mean.

skb675

a gun "nut"
    Feb 14, 2013
    rural md
    The bigger problem is "to prevent straw purchases." How exactly do you prove that intent? It's already covered in existing law, not enforced but it's there. It's a non-starter of an argument IMHO.

Bushwood

Farm Raised
    Jan 27, 2013
    The Dena
    I'm in favor for the NICS check at the store, well I was. Until I realized it only slows down, or prevents citizens from arming themselves. Criminals will get weapons illegally when they want weapons. NICS doesnt disarm criminals. I'm all for open carry, and as Ted Nugent said...... "An armed society, is a polite society!"

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    wow....just wow..10 on this board think it's ok... to further infringe on our 2A rights....
    Battered gun owners syndrome.
    further proof MD is screwed up.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It was actually 87% and they have been rounding it up to 90%. That 87% was of 1219 people who were polled by phone. They were asked if they supported background checks for gun purchases. Nothing about universal checks or fingerprinting or anything specific.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Here is the problem. If they had universal NICS checks, there would be no way to verify that people are actually doing it. This is going to lead to some dip shit law makers making the case that all firearms need to be tracked.

I am all for voluntary NICS checks, but universal? nah...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    No background checks, no federal paperwork, repeal all federal firearm code. None has ever shown any reduction in crime, most are sporadically enforced. Between 2% and 3% of the population have felony convictions on their record, instead of criminalizing the rights of all citizens, we should make it as easy as possible for the other 97% to be armed and as dangerous as possible to criminals big and small. You also have the matter that more than 100 million citizens were murdered by their own government in the last 100 years, all were subject to citizen firearms bans enacted by these regimes. It has been shown repeatedly that it is near impossible to keep criminals from obtaining contraband, even in prison with a total ban on most everything, and complete authoritarian control, although the simple answer is that if a criminal is so dangerous that that they are likely to hurt people if they have access to a firearm, they should stay in prison.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    We are witnessing perhaps one of the potentially most treasonous things that could be done by our elected officials to remove the rights that we as free men and women are entitled to...

Should this UBC pass, we will be in deep shit as a country. This is potentially worse than the PATRIOT ACT. I just wish people would understand how truly bad this would be for our freedoms!

Mark

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    No background checks, no federal paperwork, repeal all federal firearm code. None has ever shown any reduction in crime, most are sporadically enforced. Between 2% and 3% of the population have felony convictions on their record, instead of criminalizing the rights of all citizens, we should make it as easy as possible for the other 97% to be armed and as dangerous as possible to criminals big and small. You also have the matter that more than 100 million citizens were murdered by their own government in the last 100 years, all were subject to citizen firearms bans enacted by these regimes. It has been shown repeatedly that it is near impossible to keep criminals from obtaining contraband, even in prison with a total ban on most everything, and complete authoritarian control, although the simple answer is that if a criminal is so dangerous that that they are likely to hurt people if they have access to a firearm, they should stay in prison.

I like the cut of your jib.

THIS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom