• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    From the Frederick News Post:

Good on the Frederick County Council for rejecting a bill this week that would have sharply scaled back the discretion now given to the Maryland State Police to decide who should get a permit to carry a concealed firearm in the state.

Council members voted 4-3 Thursday against including the measure as part of its legislative agenda to send to lawmakers in Annapolis, with Republicans Billy Shreve, Kirby Delauter and Tony Chmelik voting in support of it.

The bill sought by Delauter and company was to seek to make Maryland a “shall issue” state, which would require authorities to issue permits as long as applicants meet certain minimum criteria, such as proof of residency or not having a criminal history.

Currently, Maryland regulates concealed-carry permits on a “may issue” basis, which requires residents to state a clear and present need when applying. As a result of this, the number of concealed carry permits issued in Maryland is low. In 2014, there were just under 14,300 such permits issued in Maryland, which has a population of about 6 million people. Missouri, also with a population of about 6 million, and a shall-issue state, had about 171,000 active permit holders in 2014.

The council’s Republicans shouldn’t have bothered. The likelihood that the Democratic legislature is going to scale back its concealed-carry law is slim to-ain’t-gonna-happen. The General Assembly passed tough new regulations on gun ownership in 2013, in the wake of the mass shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, and the state successfully defended its concealed-carry law before the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals that same year after a federal judge ruled in 2012 that it was unconstitutional. Those aren’t the actions of a state that’s going to consider weakening its ability to decide who gets to walk around with a concealed handgun.

Council members took an hour to decide against including this bill in the county’s legislative agenda. It was an hour that could have been better spent.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    So did anyone know this was going on? I would of happily tried to organize to get people to at least make a presence before this vote.

This is a huge loss.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So did anyone know this was going on? I would of happily tried to organize to get people to at least make a presence before this vote.

This is a huge loss.
    Not necessarily.

Anyone can propose a bill. A shall-issue or another bill that lessens restrictions on issuing carry permits are submitted every year in Annapolis during the general assembly.

Unfortunately, there is the truth that the anti-gun democrat-controlled legislature will not move a shall-issue bill.

The Senate and House judiciary chairs desk-drawer veto carry bills pretty much every year. Committee doesn't even get a vote.

We need to work towards unseating anti-gun legislators in elections ahead, and educate more folks about self-defense rights and responsible firearms ownership and carry. The more people interested in having the ability to defend themselves, the better. That means reaching out to more of those in Baltimore and other densely populated areas.

This is deep-blue Maryland and it's a state that has always made available personal protection squarely to those of a higher class.

Gotta keep our noses to the grind-stone.

Thanks for catching this :thumbsup:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    This is what happens when Libtards move from their anti-gun zip codes and take over the political machinery of freedom-loving parts of Maryland.

Just like in VA and CO, the Libtards expand outward and infect the political process in their new counties with their nonsense.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I don't see where this would have had any effect even if it HAD passed. The permit process is handled through state law, and MSP operates under COMAR.

In this arrangement, individual jurisdictions have no say, AIUI.

Now... The FredCo (and other) delegation(s) to the GA could submit a bill in January...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I don't see where this would have had any effect even if it HAD passed. The permit process is handled through state law, and MSP operates under COMAR.

In this arrangement, individual jurisdictions have no say, AIUI.

Now... The FredCo (and other) delegation(s) to the GA could submit a bill in January...

The vote was whether or not to make Shall-Issue part of Frederick's legislative agenda in Annapolis come 2017 -- not on doing anything on their own within frederick county.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Sounds like a bit of gloating over a "victory" that doesn't mean squat. I don't see the Frederick County council's legislative agenda having much impact either way on Maryland going "Shall Issue." As DC-W noted, changing the makeup of the GA is where the real progress must be made.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I see the "journalist" who wrote the piece didn't bother adding their name to the editorial on the News Post website, no by line that I can find. What a coward, not wanting to take public criticism for the tone of their piece.

FNP is a total joke. I don't think many people pay for a subscription. You can read 9 articles online before it locks you out. You then clear your cookies and can read more.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

This is a huge loss.

This is the kind of thing that VCDL would have been all over. We would have known about it in advance and people would be there to testify or simply observe if nothing else. May not change the vote, but it sends a signal. Hell, we get alerts if some neighbor simply complains about noise to a councilman - and there's a call to action. Zero ground is surrendered. MSI needs to take the fight to the districts and get a local game.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Agree. I would like to see MSI post up an "MSI Actions Drop-Box" thread to alert members and supporters to these local skirmishes--the kind that VCDL thrives on.

Here is what the Alexandria City Council looked like the day I joined them to flood their chambers with armed Patriots last year. I was rocking my .357. Quite a few had rifles, including ARs.

The council had ordered Alexandria City Police to distribute flyers insisting that people call 911 if they saw an Open Carry Citizen.

The council was shamed into backing down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      90.1 KB · Views: 804

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    This is the kind of thing that VCDL would have been all over. We would have known about it in advance and people would be there to testify or simply observe if nothing else. May not change the vote, but it sends a signal. Hell, we get alerts if some neighbor simply complains about noise to a councilman - and there's a call to action. Zero ground is surrendered. MSI needs to take the fight to the districts and get a local game.

I don't understand it either. I would have been there with my MSI shirt on just to sit in and make a presence. Even if we had only a few guys there its a start.

I sent a thank you email to Delauter. They have to know their efforts aren't going unnoticed.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    MSI was unaware this was occurring. Nobody from the council contacted us and nobody from the public did either. It's not like we are difficult to get in touch with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Delauter and co didn't come up with this idea on their own. Wouldn't be surprised if an occasional poster here suggested/lobbied/encouraged this action.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    MSI was unaware this was occurring. Nobody from the council contacted us and nobody from the public did either. It's not like we are difficult to get in touch with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Is Delauter a member? No? Do you have relationships with local politicians? Why not? What's the plan to gather Intel moving forward?

I recognize that I'm not a member and don't live in MD anymore, but this is the kind of stuff that other groups do really well. It may be a strategy that works for MSI too.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    We all have a part to play to put MSI at the 2A Information Crossroads. With awareness, focus and coordination we can do it.

VCDL members derive a great deal of pride being plugged in and sounding alerts within their network. It makes their organization jump.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Sounds like a bit of gloating over a "victory" that doesn't mean squat. I don't see the Frederick County council's legislative agenda having much impact either way on Maryland going "Shall Issue." As DC-W noted, changing the makeup of the GA is where the real progress must be made.

If enough counties pushed for Shall Issue as part of their legislative agenda, the GA would be forced into a precarious position. Go Shall Issue, or deny it and pay the price, till they approve Shall Issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom