• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Velvet Sika

IMG_0719.JPG He's like a two inch or a little more spike still in velvet, poor photo I know but neat to catch him in daylight. They don't stand out very well

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Pretty much goes along with what I said. Just gotta try and keep some does on your land, bucks will come. In your case, it isn't pressure(I did say differing situations), it's just your situation there. The deer are eating acorns now. Try and figure out what they want next...

To everyone else, acorns are dropping like flies(whatever that means), Deer are cashing in on acorns(building up fat stores for the coming rut). Oak flats are easy to hunt. Deer don't tend to bed in them(not much bedding cover in oak flats), so they are easy to move in and out of them without spoiling the area.

Good advise right there! I concentrate on oak flats in September while the acorns are plentiful. Late September early October I move to rub lines and the closer to the rut I go where the doe's travel, setting up just outside bedding areas.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

First night on some new property I got permission to hunt. I set my ground blind out yesterday and found a bedding area right next to a tree dropping acorns. Watched a handful of does with fawns come and go, and saw this guy. I took some pics of him and showed the land owner(he asked me to not take 2 deer he's been letting grow for a few years) he said he didn't think it would be a monster in the future and said take him if I saw him. Got in around 4 this afternoon sand set out a bag of corn. 30 minutes in and the does with fawns are coming and going. About 6 he strolled in and took a dirt nap.
    :thumbsup:looks like a big body but not the genetics for a good rack...

Here's a better picture of the wound that the Rage made. Those broadheads are no joke.
    looks like a little gut? or is that just dirt? Still an impressive hole.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Some days it seems like anything that can go wrong does, but you just have to make do with what you can. First as I was pulling my bow up into the tree the quiver got hooked on a limb and broke where it attaches to the bow, falling to the ground. So I take my climber back down to the ground to grab the quiver and carry it up the tree. Next as I'm pulling my bow up the pull rope gets wedged between the sting and cam, popping the string partially off the cam. That's not an easy fix in the field without a press. Setting one end of the bow on my foot while pressing down on the other end and using the back edge of my knife I was able to get a little more of the string on the cam. Then slowly drew it back so the cam would rotate and the string would get seated where it belonged. Not wanting to call it an early night but also wanting to be ethical and not wanting to wound a deer, I used two arrows to check my zero at some leaves one the ground. So now those two broadheads need the blades replaced. An hour later 2 does and a fawn come along. When the bigger one steps out from behind a tree I shot. The deer rolled over breaking the arrow. luckily it only went about 60yds. Unluckily it wasn't actually a doe but an 80lb 1.5yo button buck that was with the doe and fawn. I hate killing small bucks. To top it off on the way home I start to smell smoke/burning that smells like an electrical fire. Once I get home and look over my truck I find the headlight switch is starting to melt.

I guess the plus side of the night is I killed another and hopefully removed bad genes from the pool.

Attachments

• 0926161848.jpg
      0926161848.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 592

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Don't bother playing the lottery for a few weeks. That's some really bad luck you had yesterday. However, it would seem like you got your yearly allotment of bad luck out of your system in one evening. Congrats on the meat that's in your freezer!

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Another doe

I was out all day Saturday. I sat in the rain for the first part of the day and observed 8 or so does and fawns below my stand. Sitting in that downpour seemed absurd, but I knew the deer would appear whenever it let up. I passed on the does in the morning, hoping for a buck. I got down at 10:30 for a break and got back in the stand at 3:30 and sat until dark. With about 5 minutes of shooting light left, I decided to take the largest doe below me so that I could get some more meat and give my dog a good tracking opportunity. I absolutely smoked it. Recognize the broadhead brand from the heart photo?

It leaped and kicked before running off, so I new I'd find it. However, since it ran into a swampy area with tall phragmites grass and thorns, I decided to do the track in the morning so I could train the dog the right way. She got on the track and found it in about 5 minutes. It was awesome to watch her do that. 90 minutes later, it was all packed up in a cooler and it's now in my freezer. Once the weather gets colder, I'm going to spend a day making sausage. Good times.

Parker Thunderhawk Crossbow. Rage broad heads. 18 yard shot.

Attachments

• IMG_2436[1].jpg
      IMG_2436[1].jpg
      176.4 KB · Views: 476
    • IMG_2458[1].jpg
      IMG_2458[1].jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 478

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats on putting meat in the freezer. I too use those broad heads on my crossbow. Excellent shot placement too.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Took this doe last night while hunting on a buddys ranch in Oklahoma. 30 yard crossbow shot with Grim Reaper broad head.

Attachments

• 20161002_194404_1475462916157.jpg
      20161002_194404_1475462916157.jpg
      94 KB · Views: 473

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Another doe

Was very fortunate to harvest another doe this morning...20 yd crossbow shot with Grim Reaper broad heads.

Attachments

• 4 Oct 16 Doe.jpg
      4 Oct 16 Doe.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 378
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger