• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maswasnos

Feb 24, 2018
    PG County
    GunBroker or Auction Arms.

I would caution you to avoid sending/selling it to a resident of a state that banned them including a MD resident.

Yeah I wasn't planning on it. I'll check those sites out when I get a chance. Would Ebay be a viable option? It'd be a bit more convenient for me.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah I wasn't planning on it. I'll check those sites out when I get a chance. Would Ebay be a viable option? It'd be a bit more convenient for me.

If you use eBay the buyer may be able to do some kind of funny business since it's something controversial and gun related.

I wouldn't trust eBay for something like that. That's your decision to make though.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    What states currenty ban bumpstocks and/or binary triggers?

MA
    MD (after 9/30/19)(also 10/1/18 if letter not applied for)

FL

These are the ones i know of. If anyone can add states for refernce, it would be appreciated.

Q

Maswasnos

Feb 24, 2018
    PG County
    What states currenty ban bumpstocks and/or binary triggers?

MA
    MD (after 9/30/19)(also 10/1/18 if letter not applied for)

FL

These are the ones i know of. If anyone can add states for refernce, it would be appreciated.

Q

Also California and New Jersey, and I think they're of dubious legality in New York. Minnesota also has a weird law that might prohibit them and might not.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As a general rule, I do not give air time or clicks to people like CNN however this just popped up on another board, dated today. I am curious to see if we hear any news within the next few days. Headline reads: Exclusive: Trump administration to announce final bump stock ban
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/28/poli...RypekVkm_KXFQrLEwPLC2B02WraBSa1w9LUgUghlin0V4
    The NY Times is reporting the same. A federal ban by executive order is forthcoming. Really bad precedence if not successfully challenged. If a rabid, antigun President is in the WH, what else might they try to ban by personal decree (standard capacity mags?). I get that the current effort is to say that bump stocks violate current federal law by making some sort of facsimile machinegun available to folks that haven't gotten federal permission ... but that law is really about a specific gun category and firing mechanism. Once you start saying something is similar to something banned, and without a legislative process, we must get rid of it too, it opens Pandora's box.

Although I mentioned the Times article, the more essential bit is from the CNN story linked above ...

Under the new rule, bump stock owners would be required to destroy or surrender the devices to authorities. Members of the public will be given 90 days to turn in or otherwise discard their bump stocks, according to a source familiar with the final rule.

"Bump stocks turn semiautomatic guns into illegal machine guns. This final rule sends a clear message: Illegal guns have no place in a law-and-order society, and we will continue to vigorously enforce the law to keep these illegal weapons off the street," a senior Justice Department official told CNN Wednesday.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    The mechanism is already in place... ATF could classify just about anything including magazines as a DD and require a stamp for every single one, or else surrender/destruction of said item. All it takes is the executive branch will to do it.
    This.

They will ask: "Why does anyone need a magazine gun (semi-auto-loader?) when they can get a wheel gun? there will be several groups that may still buy/own them ... to keep them happy/voting. Very similar to their argument of "Why more than 10 rnds" ... well similar to them.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The NY Times is reporting the same. A federal ban by executive order is forthcoming.

To clarify, it's not by executive order. It's by the ATF publishing a new Regulation around these devices. The ATF has the legal power to make regulations to enforce the NFA, and in this case, they have published a draft regulation that would reclassify a bunch of formerly legal things (including bumpstocks) as machineguns.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    To clarify, it's not by executive order. It's by the ATF publishing a new Regulation around these devices. The ATF has the legal power to make regulations to enforce the NFA, and in this case, they have published a draft regulation that would reclassify a bunch of formerly legal things (including bumpstocks) as machineguns.
    I was imprecise in my language, but it's a result of the President instructing the ATF to find a way to regulate or ban the items. At least this is the impression that Trump has given, in addition to being supportive of this action.

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    So theoretically all one would have to do if they felt compelled to comply with the proposed order would be to cut the stock in the same way an automatic receiver needs to be cut in order to continue to posses it because it would no longer be functional.

Or would cutting the stock so it could not be utilized, considered to be not good enough and completely destroying it other that turning it in will be the only option.

I guess we won't know until the order is executed.:innocent0

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I was imprecise in my language, but it's a result of the President instructing the ATF to find a way to regulate or ban the items. At least this is the impression that Trump has given, in addition to being supportive of this action.

Oh yeah, it's totally on Trump's orders.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    So theoretically all one would have to do if they felt compelled to comply with the proposed order would be to cut the stock in the same way an automatic receiver needs to be cut in order to continue to posses it because it would no longer be functional.

Or would cutting the stock so it could not be utilized, considered to be not good enough and completely destroying it other that turning it in will be the only option.

As long as it was not more than an 80% stock when you got done cutting...:crazy:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    After the bump stock was reviewed by the BATFE back a few years ago, I think it's going to take a court ruling to finally determine their legality. At first they were legal, then they weren't, then they were and now we get to see what happens next.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    After the bump stock was reviewed by the BATFE back a few years ago, I think it's going to take a court ruling to finally determine their legality. At first they were legal, then they weren't, then they were and now we get to see what happens next.

Gotta love how the 4th Branch of Government makes regulations and legislates out of whole cloth without any representation by the subjects citizens of the country.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO

In regards to "Disposal" this is straight from the horses mouth taken from the link from the federal register.... https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/03/29/2018-06292/bump-stock-type-devices

"DISPOSAL
    This proposed rule would require the destruction of existing bump-stock-type devices. The cost of disposal would have several components. For individuals who own bump-stock-type devices, there would be a cost for the time and effort to destroy the devices or ensure that they are destroyed by another party. For retailers, wholesalers, and manufacturers, there would be a cost of the time and effort to destroy or ensure the destruction of any devices held in inventory. Based on the response from public comments, it is not clear if there would also be a cost from the lost value of that inventory.
    Individuals who have purchased bump-stock-type devices prior to the implementation of this rule would have the option of destroying the devices themselves, turning the devices in to the nearest ATF office for destruction by ATF or, subject to compliance with U.S. Mail regulations and the policies of commercial shipment services, sending the devices to ATF through the U.S. Mail or other commercial delivery service. Options for destroying the devices may include melting, crushing, or shredding in a manner that renders the device incapable of ready restoration. Since the majority of bump-stock-type devices are made of plastic material, individuals wishing to destroy the devices themselves could simply use a hammer to break apart the devices and throw the pieces away. Other destruction options that ATF has historically accepted include torch cutting or sawing the device in a manner that removes at least 1/4 inch of material for each cut and completely severs design features critical to the functionality of the device as a bump-stock-type device."

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    In regards to "Disposal" this is straight from the horses mouth taken from the link from the federal register.... https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/03/29/2018-06292/bump-stock-type-devices

"DISPOSAL

This proposed rule would require the destruction of existing bump-stock-type devices. The cost of disposal would have several components. For individuals who own bump-stock-type devices, there would be a cost for the time and effort to destroy the devices or ensure that they are destroyed by another party. For retailers, wholesalers, and manufacturers, there would be a cost of the time and effort to destroy or ensure the destruction of any devices held in inventory. Based on the response from public comments, it is not clear if there would also be a cost from the lost value of that inventory.

Individuals who have purchased bump-stock-type devices prior to the implementation of this rule would have the option of destroying the devices themselves, turning the devices in to the nearest ATF office for destruction by ATF or, subject to compliance with U.S. Mail regulations and the policies of commercial shipment services, sending the devices to ATF through the U.S. Mail or other commercial delivery service. Options for destroying the devices may include melting, crushing, or shredding in a manner that renders the device incapable of ready restoration. Since the majority of bump-stock-type devices are made of plastic material, individuals wishing to destroy the devices themselves could simply use a hammer to break apart the devices and throw the pieces away. Other destruction options that ATF has historically accepted include torch cutting or sawing the device in a manner that removes at least 1/4 inch of material for each cut and completely severs design features critical to the functionality of the device as a bump-stock-type device."

Sounds like the method being used on “their” Constitution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom