• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I wonder if Hogan did this on purpose so that when the board finally does go away nobody will give a shit

Most people don’t even know about it, even gun owners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Sad to say there are criminals in this state with more morals and ethics than the HPRB and the MSP Licensing division as it stands right now. This is corrupt behavior at its finest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Did someone say dirty, corrupt, disgraced Gov. Marvin Mandel, convicted in 1977 for mail fraud and racketeering?

Just 5 years after that Salisbury editorial extolling his good motives for abolishing our Second Amendment rights?

Marvelous Marvin Mandel got his conviction overturned in 1987 by a US District Court Judge: Judge Frederic Smalkin.

Yes, the same Judge Smalkin appointed as the new chair of the HPRB.

To be fair, Judge Smalkin applied a new Supreme Court precedent in 1987 in ruling on Mandel’s appeal:

“Smalkin applied a Supreme Court decision—handed down after Mandel's conviction—which held that the mail fraud statute under which Mandel was convicted did not apply to cases of government corruption. United States v. Mandel, 672 F.Supp. 864 (D.Md. 1987).”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_N._Smalkin

Mandel had succeeded dirty, corrupt, disgraced Republican Gov. Spiro Agnew, another bribe-taking Baltimoron in the long line of corrupt MD politicians extending to this very day.

Maryland politicians love bribes (paging MD Democrat Senator Nathaniel Oaks) and many were taking them, but they apparently weren’t writing corruption laws to keep up, so the mail fraud laws were stretched apparently in Mandel’s case to get him for the bribes and favors he allegedly received along with his five co-defendants.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Mandel

Attachments

• 99E4B656-F767-407F-A959-B307FC3BF41F.jpg
      99E4B656-F767-407F-A959-B307FC3BF41F.jpg
      111.6 KB · Views: 271

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    At least at $15 the rarer than hen’s teeth permits at the onset of this fiasco was a lot less than the cost to citizens of today who are willing to enter the skinner box in an attempt for a chance at the golden ring.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    This is a new reality , nobody will get restrictions removed . Pure and simple , it will be interesting to see if having a lawyer would change that . I do not think so .

As a follow up to my posts from the last meeting, tonight, I was informed that at least one person got their restrictions removed.
    Remember the black female whose case was stetted so she could produce docs related to domestic violence? Well, she got an unrestricted permit. There were a couple of others that will, as well.
    I know it’s frustrating to see MSP win repeatedly, but frankly, most of the appellants were poorly prepared. I’m rooting for these guys, but there arguments were crap.
    “I am a financial advisor, and some financial advisor in Dallas, Texas(!) was threatened, so I feel threatened?”
    “I feel discriminated against because I wear a suit and tie?”
    Come on, man!

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As a follow up to my posts from the last meeting, tonight, I was informed that at least one person got their restrictions removed.
    Remember the black female whose case was stetted so she could produce docs related to domestic violence? Well, she got an unrestricted permit. There were a couple of others that will, as well.
    I know it’s frustrating to see MSP win repeatedly, but frankly, most of the appellants were poorly prepared. I’m rooting for these guys, but there arguments were crap.
    “I am a financial advisor, and some financial advisor in Dallas, Texas(!) was threatened, so I feel threatened?”
    Come on, man!

And the board could have reversed the decision of the Secretary and had the same result. And if those particular applicants didn't have that new information the board could have reversed the decision and also been well within their authority.

There is no definition of G&S, just ask the Detective Sergeant for the MSP who testified in either Snowden or Scherr that "we made it up". What is not considered G&S by MSP is well within the board's authority to accept.

And yes, we agree that most applicants tonight were completely unprepared. The smartest of the bunch asked for a continuance to obtain counsel.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Come on, man!
    I agree that most were unprepared, but it's a citizen's board, not the Supreme Court.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Oh. It gets weirder.

Click on Judge Smalkin’s Wikipedia link above to see his self-reverential biography “(He was subsequently admitted to the Maryland Bar, having reportedly achieved that year's highest score on the Maryland bar exam.[citation needed]”) which includes another piece of astonishing Maryland judicial coincidence:

When Judge Smalkin retired from the US District Court in 2003, he was succeeded by Judge Benson Everett Legg, who wrote the courageous Second Amendment decision in the (briefly) Constitutional liberty-restoring Maryland gun rights case Woollard V. Sheridan.

Judge Legg wrote the immortal words of American Constitutional truth and judicial courage that will always rank with the aphorisms of Thomas Paine, John Paul Jones and Patrick Henry:

A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights.

The right’s existence is all the reason he needs
    .”

The courageous 2012 Woollard decision was overturned at the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals by an Obama-packed 4th CCA judiciary, and the SCOTUS did not grant certiorari to hear the appeal.

https://casetext.com/case/woollard-v-sheridan-2

Fox News report on the Woollard decision:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fe...od-reason-rules-maryland-law-unconstitutional

Attachments

• E7E2A696-E38F-46A1-B290-76AB608A8269.jpg
      E7E2A696-E38F-46A1-B290-76AB608A8269.jpg
      32.4 KB · Views: 303
    • 24E3EBA7-ED30-4021-8C2E-6281C62393DA.jpg
      24E3EBA7-ED30-4021-8C2E-6281C62393DA.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 246
    • 610867CB-AA28-4442-8EF4-094B8D64400A.jpg
      610867CB-AA28-4442-8EF4-094B8D64400A.jpg
      97.3 KB · Views: 236
    Last edited:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would respect this bunch more if they just came out and said "I'm sorry, Mr Applicant, although we have the authority to reverse the decision of the Secretary your case was just shit" instead of trying to convince a majority of the applicants that their restrictions were okay and that their hands are tied. These are political appointments for a reason and you've got to wonder what was going on (or not) in Cavey's office.

These were the types of decisions that we expected from O'Malley appointees and one has to wonder why the hell Hogan vetoed SB 1000 if these were the kind of people with which he was going to populate the board?

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    And the board could have reversed the decision of the Secretary and had the same result. And if those particular applicants didn't have that new information the board could have reversed the decision and also been well within their authority.

There is no definition of G&S, just ask the Detective Sergeant for the MSP who testified in either Snowden or Scherr that "we made it up". What is not considered G&S by MSP is well within the board's authority to accept.

And yes, we agree that most applicants tonight were completely unprepared. The smartest of the bunch asked for a continuance to obtain counsel.

Yes, the Board could have, but that would have counted as a reversal. This way, it doesn’t. Don’t want to rehash.
    I thought that young man who stated that, since he saw how things were going for other appellants, he wanted a continuance to obtain counsel was wise. He saw the writing on the wall.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Hard to believe some on the board won’t start to see this kangaroo court to be as offensive as we see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I would respect this bunch more if they just came out and said "I'm sorry, Mr Applicant, although we have the authority to reverse the decision of the Secretary your case was just shit" instead of trying to convince a majority of the applicants that their restrictions were okay and that their hands are tied. These are political appointments for a reason and you've got to wonder what was going on (or not) in Cavey's office.

These were the types of decisions that we expected from O'Malley appointees and one has to wonder why the hell Hogan vetoed SB 1000 if these were the kind of people with which he was going to populate the board?

As you suggested in another post and something that I agree with, these people were straight out of the Good Ole Boys Network.

No doubt in my mind they were recommended by the Friends of Larry (Dem legislative leadership) as the most "right leaning" people they could digest - i.e. ostensibly Republican people that are joined at the hip with the bureaucratic apparatus. None of these people will upset the apple cart. Preserve the system at all costs.

Larry saves face because Judge Smalls is a "Reagan guy" and his veto (probably at this point?) lives on while Dems get the a return to the old days of rubber stamping the MSP.

Kabuki theater at its finest.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Songlaw ,

It is a citizen board , where an average person can go to have redress to the government .
    It is suppose to set-up to be non-formal , should not need Jonnie Cochran to represent you .
    The MSP and now the board is a rubber stamp for the state and its agenda .

For the most part these are good citizens that have done the right thing all their lives that qualify to have a permit .
    The MSP can not define when I am working they admit that , but yet want the crack and ambiguity to "Jack" me up when they deem it necessary on the side of the road .

As a small business owner I have made and combined personal runs with business runs because it saves me money and time to combine and mix business with pleasure .
    And yet they don't get that and now the board don't get that .

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Songlaw ,

It is a citizen board , where an average person can go to have redress to the government .
    It is suppose to set-up to be non-formal , should not need Jonnie Cochran to represent you .
    The MSP and now the board is a rubber stamp for the state and its agenda .

For the most part these are good citizens that have done the right thing all their lives that qualify to have a permit .
    The MSP can not define when I am working they admit that , but yet want the crack and ambiguity to "Jack" me up when they deem it necessary on the side of the road .

As a small business owner I have made and combined personal runs with business runs because it saves me money and time to combine and mix business with pleasure .
    And yet they don't get that and now the board don't get that .

Welder, I don’t drink anymore but I will gladly buy you one if we ever meet and I’ll be the DD. You very succinctly and clearly explain what is going on. Thank you and thanks for fighting the good fight as long as you did. I don’t fall into one of the protected classes here in Marylandistan and my attorney would cost too much for me to roll the dice, especially with Judge Smails and his Greek Chorus, not to be confused with the MSP Greek Chorus. My lease is up in 11 months. Really starting to plan relocation.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Obviously someone on the board is following MDS forum, no doubt the reason for the new white paper, so I hope our legal eagles will critique this weeks white paper to point out the finer points of the law which seem to have been missed. (see post #10 for a copy)

Expect another white paper next meeting to explain why the Maryland Open Meetings law doesn't apply to retired judges.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    "The Song Remains the Same" - Led Zeppelin

"Police state is a term denoting a government that exercises power arbitrarily through the power of the police force." - Wikipedia

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Obviously someone on the board is following MDS forum, no doubt the reason for the new white paper, so I hope our legal eagles will critique this weeks white paper to point out the finer points of the law which seem to have been missed. (see post #10 for a copy)

Expect another white paper next meeting to explain why the Maryland Open Meetings law doesn't apply to retired judges.

I have my suspicions. We have folks RIGHT HERE in these threads defending the actions of the bullschit board and the MSP. Mind you, the MSP are dickheads to the fullest extent, they deserve no respect for what they do in the LD.....none.

This fvckery is just too much for me, I have zero desire to go down there to get rubber stamped. Being that my posts are "public" I'll refrain from giving the advice I'd REALLY like to give on this topic. Suffice to say we should all have the ability to protect ourselves from the criminal element who knows not one single shit what an "HPRB" is.....:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom