• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I don't know what bothers me more, forgetting the powder charge while reloading, or not noticing the failure of the round when I pulled the trigger. Luckily the bullet didn't get far enough into the barrel to allow me to chamber another round. I remember ejecting an empty shell and thinking it was from a previous shot that I had not ejected yet. I think I had checked my target through a spotting scope between shots and when I resumed shooting I must have had the squib and not noticed it. When I cycled the bolt an empty shell popped out but the new round wouldn't go in all the way. I guess I'll go back and weigh all my reloads to see if I can find any more light rounds.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    I assume you are using a progressive press, I would suggest that you order one of the lights that mount inside of the press and slow down and spend more time looking.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Also check that your using the correct powder bar! I reloaded about 80 rounds of 300blk. Got a squib. Went back and pulled them. Tried to figure out why and it’s because I had the large bar instead of small.

Large choked down was inconsistent. I went to small bar and it’s been a dream ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I don't have a progressive press,no need for it. I look in every case for powder before seating bullets as a habit. Haven't had a squib in 45 years from lack of powder but did have a failure to ignite powder with a 454C. Western powders never did figure it out, nor did I. Double check everything, it just basic reloading safety. Shrapnel in ones face is a good teacher if one survives. Glad you weren't hurt, very lucky

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Funny how when one reloads they will have the uncanny knack of noticing a squib load in a fraction of a second, well most will :)
    Good Luck Neutron.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Funny how when one reloads they will have the uncanny knack of noticing a squib load in a fraction of a second, well most will :)
    Good Luck Neutron.

I think shooting at a crowded range with lots of gunfire from both sides distracts from noticing something like a squib too. I will have to pay more attention to every pull of the trigger.

I have a personal rule where I stop after 100 rounds and do something else for a bit. In my case I stop to recenter my attention since I'm fairly easily distracted. I started doing so after reloading nearly 500 rounds of .45 ACP with the wrong powder and had to pull them all apart. I typically load 1000-5000 rounds of a single caliber at a time. It takes me longer to finish a batch but haven't had a squib or pull a bullet since I made the rule.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Reloading, while essentially a pretty simple process, should be approached with caution and a "healthy" sense of paranoia in my opinion. I do my reloading in stages on a single stage press. Powdering is done in batches of 50, and visually verified while the cases are in the reloading blocks before moving onto the seating stage.

Slow...sure...but safe. I like being alive ;)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm a little OCD, so do everything in a specific order. On a progressive it should be relatively easy, if you didn't seat a bullet then you didn't charge the previous case. Just have to pay attention when getting started.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I forgot some primers one time. Oops! Had to pull bullets from like 30 rifle rounds with a kinetic bullet puller. Wasn't the end of the world, but it was annoying. Good news was, they all had powder in them!

It was a good time at the range... "why didn't this round go off?" "OHHHHH"

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Reloading, while essentially a pretty simple process, should be approached with caution and a "healthy" sense of paranoia in my opinion. I do my reloading in stages on a single stage press. Powdering is done in batches of 50, and visually verified while the cases are in the reloading blocks before moving onto the seating stage.

Slow...sure...but safe. I like being alive ;)

If you want to be sure, why would you charge a bunch of cases at a time?????

I size and prime. Then when I charge and seat bullet, I pick up A case. Add powder, seat bullet, put THE round in bin or box. Repeat. ONE at a time

NO chance of missing a case.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG

I size and prime. Then when I charge and seat bullet, I pick up A case. Add powder, seat bullet, put THE round in bin or box. Repeat. ONE at a time

Pinecone,
    I do the the loading block full thing for a double-check when using a Uniflow dispenser. You can see if any case has more or less than the others before you start seating bullets. If you have a light overhead or a penlight it's easy to see as they are all side by side, row on row.
    Just another method. Never had a blooper with this method since the 1970's.
    Using my Lyman dispenser which weighs each charge it measures out, I do as you do; one at a time.
    Obviously this won't work on a progressive, where I check about every 10th case on the scale.

Major03

Ultimate Member

yeah, you're not wrong...just what I do. I feel comfortable that visually inspecting the cases for powder in the block is a fail safe process for me.

I feel like I pick up a small amount of efficiency by batching them in 50's, but probably not much really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom