NZ bans types of semi-automatic weapons, high capacity magazines after mass shooting

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    So called high capacity magazines were already illegal in NZ but the shooter got them anyway. Murder is illegal as well.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    so i wonder, if someone drunk or distracted driving hit a school bus and killed 50 kids, would she be banning alcohol and cell phones?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I guess just like here the control freaks rush to get gun control laws passed in the immediate days after something happens because they know once enough people start thinking rationally again it will never happen.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Following the blueprint of Australia and UK. Their choice, as a common law country it's not a protected right, and reports say most are ok with it - incl gun stores and gun owners. At least they are working on a buy back program.
    Maybe they can ban fire if they have an incident like the school bus full of children in Italy this week (all kids got out alive), f'd up people will do f'd up things by any means necessary

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    You mean subjects must surrender firearms, don’t you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This week an elderly family member of mine got her official Maryland ID. It refers to her as "Customer name." No more citizens here, friend.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    I’ll be interested to see what happens if compliance isn’t there. From what I’ve heard it’s the usual “city cowards all for it, rural people will ignore it” situation like in NY.

It’ll especially get interesting once / if the reprisal attacks start over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    This week an elderly family member of mine got her official Maryland ID. It refers to her as "Customer name." No more citizens here, friend.

Point was that there are certain countries, that have citizens and some(less) are subjects...

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Point was that there are certain countries, that have citizens and some(less) are subjects...

Correct. And sadly, Maryland has now added a third category: Customer.

No wonder we don't have enfranchised rights. The state actually defines some of us as customers on state issued ID cards.

Sad.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ll be interested to see what happens if compliance isn’t there. From what I’ve heard it’s the usual “city cowards all for it, rural people will ignore it” situation like in NY.

It’ll especially get interesting once / if the reprisal attacks start over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is somewhat higher acceptance of it.

But keep in mind there are 5,000,000 people in NZ. Only about 250,000 gun owners. An estimated 1.5 million guns. Also no long gun registration (handguns must be registered). Maryland has more people. 6 million. As a libural state our gun ownership rates are probably less, but it is probably up around 2 million at least.

So gun ownership is only about 5% in NZ. A far cry from the roughly 40% gun ownership rates in the US. Not many to fight back against gun law changes. Same story with many other countries.

There is an estimate of “up to 250,000 semi automatic rifles and shotguns” in NZ. So basically one for every gun owner. I’ll be interested to see how many are actually turned in. Or if it turns out only a few tens of thousands are turned in. If so, you can bet there are a lot of new gardens being planted and boating accidents occuring

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    They deserve everything, and I mean everything that's coming to them. Let justice reign - no mercy.

This right here.

I’d give my guns to the local jihadis before I gave them to the govt. I’d be leaving anyway... what the jihadis did with them after I’ve left, not my problem.

The kiwis have earned everything they’ve got coming to them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's an excerpt of the NY Times reporting on this story ...

New Zealand Announces Ban on Weapons Used in Massacre That Killed 50
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/world/asia/new-zealand-gun-ban.html

Mr. Alpers [an Australian academic that studies national firearms policies] said the challenge for New Zealand would mainly be getting the ammunition and guns that already exist out of circulation. Half of Australia’s states had some kind of gun registration plan in place before the 1996 reforms, making it easier for the authorities to know what weapons were out there and what needed to be brought in.

New Zealand only registers 4 percent of its weapons. According to the police, about 250,000 people in the country own an estimated 1.2 million to 1.5 million firearms. It is unclear how many of them would be affected by the ban.

“New Zealand is at a considerable disadvantage to countries that have had registries, because there’s no way of tracing the firearms because they don’t know who’s got them,” Mr. Alpers said. “We’re relying entirely on the honesty of the gun owner to turn it in.”

Noting that there would be some limited exceptions for specific purposes, especially in rural areas, she [NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern] said she expected the new law to be in place by April 11, the end of Parliament’s next session.

In the interim, as of Thursday afternoon, a change in regulations would alter the licensing rules for the weapons that would eventually be banned. To avoid a rush on purchases, weapons that now require a basic A Class license will fall under an E Class gun license, which is already much harder to obtain, and which the prime minister said would now be impossible to get.

“I can assure people there is no point in applying for such a permit,” she said.

At least no one is mincing words. Registration needs to be in place for a more effective confiscation, and they've already put an administrative ban in place by executive fiat before there's actual regulation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    From the same Times article linked above, there's also this table comparing the lengthy firearm purchasing mechanism in NZ vs the current procedure in most US states (or Maryland for long guns that it hasn't banned) ...

398cecfa41ac226e7e7e59f4fe83066e.jpg

The shooter there went through the above procedure for at least 4 of his first firearms ... (1) indicating that they're insufficient to stop someone determined to harm others that doesn't have a past record.

Then the article states that NZ authorities don't know where he got the semi-automatic rifle used in the first mosque shooting (that he live-streamed) ... (2) indicating that a determined bad actor can also go around the system to harm others.

At no point do the article reporters, pushing a narrative that the NZ prime minister is admirably decisive in pursuing further gun control, realize that they've made an argument that gun control is ineffective.

There also isn't any reflection in the latest reporting of what stopped the shooting at the second mosque - a person (Abdul Aziz) willing to confront the shooter and eventually scare him off by chasing after him with a shotgun (unloaded, but there was likely doubt in the shooter's mind as he attempted to flee). Is the NZ PM similarly working as quickly to secure places of worship? I'm guessing she has no plan in seeing that they can keep arms at these sites to protect themselves.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Gun-owning New Zealanders/Kiwis reacting to the confiscation announcement (apparently there's already an effort to round up the guns before a law is in place with a promise to compensate an unspecified amount in the future) ...

https://m.facebook.com/kiwigunblog/

Kiwi Gun Blog

An Open letter to Mike McIlraith
    Officer in Charge
    Arms Act Service Delivery Group

[snip]

Hi Mike

It now seems clear that indefensible negligence on the part of New Zealand Police has allowed tourist terrorism to occur in Christchurch.

We are told that Police not only ignored multiple warnings but also failed to properly vet the killer before gifting them a firearms license.

As a consequence, shooters are now to lose their sports before the victims are even buried.

The Prime Minister’s press briefing yesterday announced gun bans but left us with more questions than it answered.

Your arms officers can not answer them.

The Prime Minister’s press staff now ignore them.

So we are asking you:

1. Am I correct that you expect shooters, in a supposedly free nation, to hand in private property on the promise of later compensation?

2. Who decides this compensation?

3. How are the values determined?

4. Is there an appeal system?

5. Do dealers receive wholesale or retail price? To reflect the lost opportunity cost of their investments?

6. Are accessories included? Suppressors, scopes, mounts, mag pouches and competition packages?

7. The same questions apply to magazines that are now restricted.

8. Will gunsmithing investments be added to the value or is it to be a clumsy flat fee?

9. If shooters are no longer able to compete in competitions will any travel, accommodation and fees be reimbursed?

10. If ranges close as a result of shooters no longer being able to compete – will investments be compensated?

11. When the new laws cost people their businesses will assistance be given?

Please do not pull your normal trick and treat this as an Official Information Act request.

Obviously shooters need this information now and cannot wait two months for their answers.

After all, you would not like it if shooters all waited till the very last second to respond to deadlines. Would you?

Like all conmen, the Prime Minister has created a false sense of urgency to perpetrate her fraud.

Taking only days to announce zero notice law changes. Promising more in mere days.

We need this information now.

Mike Loder

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom