• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I plan to shoot my M1 a great deal more in the near future ( something about a heavy box that just arrived at my doorstep :) ) and would like to field strip the weapon, remove the gas plug and op rod and give it a thorough lube with Mobil synthetic grease. Is there a standard auto mechanic's tool that I can use to remove the gas plug without harming it, or do I need to order the actual plug wrench?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I plan to shoot my M1 a great deal more in the near future ( something about a heavy box that just arrived at my doorstep :) ) and would like to field strip the weapon, remove the gas plug and op rod and give it a thorough lube with Mobil synthetic grease. Is there a standard auto mechanic's tool that I can use to remove the gas plug without harming it, or do I need to order the actual plug wrench?

There is a special wrench you can use. You can also use a screw driver or some other such implement. If you don't want to damage the plug get the special wrench. They sell them on Amazon for about $22.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I use the 1/4 socket or a large flathead plus adjustable wrench against the flathead for extra torque. Don't go crazy with the torque though.

I wrap the gas tube in leather and place it in the vise to support it.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    If you shoot your Garand often you'll get tired of the makeshift tools and end up getting the proper wrenches. At least the gas plug wrench if not a gas cylinder wrench. So might as well start out with them. Ya can't really get good torque with a flat screwdriver that wants to slip out.
    Pretty much any of the gas plug wrenches are decent.
    And a gas cylinder wrench
    https://www.fulton-armory.com/gascylinderwrenchgarand.aspx beats a pair of pliers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom