• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    You already have the gear for 3 Gun... Post your setup to encourage new shooters!

I’ve read in a few threads (here and elsewhere) that equipment is a serious barrier to entry for shooters thinking about trying out 3 Gun or other “practical/tactical” sport shooting disciplines. The pro and elite shooters, and everyone on the forums/Instagram are probably not an accurate cross-section of the people who go go out and shoot casually/recreationally.

I shot my first 3-gun match in 2003 with a Beretta 92FS, a basic Ban-Era AR15, and a $300 Remington 870 Express. Basic kydex holster and pistol mag pouches. Spare rifle mags in the back pocket of my jeans, and shotshells in my jacket pocket. Shot two more that year or the next, same stuff.

If you’re reading a gun/shooting forum, you probably already own enough “stuff” to come out and give it a go.

Feel free to post your own setup, whether it’s super bare bones, borrowed from your working or duty setup, or a complete dedicated gamer rig. Bus especially if you’re rocking the first category!

Last edited:

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I started up again in March 2019 at AGC. Dragged out what was once my only shotgun (untouched since 2004), and removed the incandescent Millenium Head, covering the hole with tape.

Rifle was a bare-bones Colt 6920, with a TA31 ACOG.

Pistol was my G19 with Surefire XC1.

Mag pouches are from a spare set of High Threat Concealment gear that I cable tied to a belt.

Attachments

• F9DFA48D-702E-4F47-8572-D26F511FC245.jpg
      F9DFA48D-702E-4F47-8572-D26F511FC245.jpg
      21.6 KB · Views: 718
    • 100E3432-321B-4BBC-AD5C-E121676571C2.jpg
      100E3432-321B-4BBC-AD5C-E121676571C2.jpg
      68.6 KB · Views: 718
    • 0A0EBAB6-C9DD-4552-B472-4C73A4ABE01C.jpg
      0A0EBAB6-C9DD-4552-B472-4C73A4ABE01C.jpg
      31.8 KB · Views: 717
    Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Two observations as an amateur. One is that people running fancy schmancy equipment in open classes at AGC arent necessary doing a whole lot better than people with production guns. One can push a $4000 bike up a hill just as fast as a $400 bike. In other words, whatever you do have, practice with it and you'll probably be competitive. Make sure its reliable with the mags you plan to use. I have fancy pistols but my best time is with an unmodified stock CZ I got on sale. I have it on good authority that one of the people in top slots in stage of madness shot a little sig p365 and had a better time than 8/10 in open. Dry fire practice with what you have, drawing and getting sight picture.

Second, age is not as much of an issue as one might think. A slow hit is better than a fast string of misses. Some young persons have fast strings of maybe testosterone fueled misses while the older perons blow away their time. What's the saying - slow is fast? Dont assume that the 23 year old athetic built college kids are winning.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Two observations as an amateur. One is that people running fancy schmancy equipment in open classes at AGC arent necessary doing a whole lot better than people with production guns. One can push a $4000 bike up a hill just as fast as a $400 bike. In other words, whatever you do have, practice with it and you'll probably be competitive. Make sure its reliable with the mags you plan to use. I have fancy pistols but my best time is with an unmodified stock CZ I got on sale. I have it on good authority that one of the people in top slots in stage of madness shot a little sig p365 and had a better time than 8/10 in open. Dry fire practice with what you have, drawing and getting sight picture.

Second, age is not as much of an issue as one might think. A slow hit is better than a fast string of misses. Some young persons have fast strings of maybe testosterone fueled misses while the older perons blow away their time. What's the saying - slow is fast? Dont assume that the 23 year old athetic built college kids are winning.

Slow is smooth; smooth is fast. ;)

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I don't own shotguns anymore, and never ran them (all pumps) in a competitive environment, much less perform a speed load. If we can do 2 gun during these matches I'm fine. My first time out will be slow and steady... that's enough fun for now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep first match or two i loaded my shottie out of my cargo pockets and just had a hunting-legal tube. run what you have to get started in this game. if you want to scootch into 3 gun, maybe try a 2 gun match first (handgun and AR). and do yourself a big favor and make sure your guns work and work and work. with whatever mags and ammo you plan to use.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I don't own shotguns anymore, and never ran them (all pumps) in a competitive environment, much less perform a speed load. If we can do 2 gun during these matches I'm fine. My first time out will be slow and steady... that's enough fun for now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

And slow and steady is safe; for the first time(s) out there. :thumbsup:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In the unlikely event that I run matches next year, I'd make them multigun, not 3-gun, and make the shotgun optional. Setting up 3 guns on a stage burns a lot of time for participants, most of the people I shoot with don't have shotguns, and the only targets that really require a shotgun are clays. And this is after I spent $2400 on a dedicated 3-gun shotgun.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    people running fancy schmancy equipment in open classes at AGC arent necessary doing a whole lot better than people with production guns. One can push a $4000 bike up a hill just as fast as a $400 bike.
    Very true, of any sport.

Especially true at the AGC matches where the walking involved is minimal. I’ve seen some matches “out west” where guys are carrying everything needed for a day-long match on their chest or back. At AGC you could even sit as needed in between shooters. (Getting up, ideally, to paste/reset for your squad mates)

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    So the hardest pill for me to swallow with 3 gun shooting actually seems to be the cost of range time. I don't have a shotgun but know AGC offers to share.The closest rifle range, as well as 3 gun matches, AFAIK, is AGC. In addition to a $200 membership (required to partake, correct?), I'm also looking at a 45 minute drive from Odenton. There is a much closer indoor pistol range for practice (On Target), which is admittedly the more perishable skill, but then there's either a $200 membership or $15-20 per visit tied to that as well.

Am I overreacting to these numbers, or are there cheaper options and ways to go about this? If so, I'm really interested in trying 2 or 3 gun if one of the events lines up with my work schedule; I want to spectate but the last 2 haven't been options. Same for the upcoming ACG event.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Slight thread derail - as one of two shooting the 365 (the other being a very good friend of mine) let me expound and say that we didn't shoot the 365 because it's all we had but instead do it because that is what we carry often and were using this as an opportunity to get tuned up with them and why not? Not a lot of people that I know carry a Glock 34 or a Shadow 2.

Very good advice regarding practicing your draw and acquiring a sight picture, no matter what you carry or shoot in matches this is probably the best single thing you can do to get better and faster.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So the hardest pill for me to swallow with 3 gun shooting actually seems to be the cost of range time. I don't have a shotgun but know AGC offers to share.The closest rifle range, as well as 3 gun matches, AFAIK, is AGC. In addition to a $200 membership (required to partake, correct?), I'm also looking at a 45 minute drive from Odenton. There is a much closer indoor pistol range for practice (On Target), which is admittedly the more perishable skill, but then there's either a $200 membership or $15-20 per visit tied to that as well.

Am I overreacting to these numbers, or are there cheaper options and ways to go about this? If so, I'm really interested in trying 2 or 3 gun if one of the events lines up with my work schedule; I want to spectate but the last 2 haven't been options. Same for the upcoming ACG event.

There is absolutely no requirement to have an AGC range badge to participate in the action shooting events (three gun, IDPA or steel challenge). You will get a discount for being a badge holder but it's not a requirement so come on out. Steel Challenge is $20 for non badge holders, assume Three Gun and IDPA would be the same, add in the cost of ammo shot during a match and it's still cheaper than a round of golf at a decent course.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Is AGC 3 gun a shotgun reloading contest or is it a match involving the use of 3 different firearms? Would consider crossing the border to try it out if I don't have to spend $100 just in shotgun ammo to prove that I can hit lots of targets 10 yards away and know how to reload a shotgun. Otherwise I'll stick with 2 gun. Speaking of which, I wish the 2 gun that's nearby me had more physical challenges and less "blast lots of poppers with your pistol".

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Is AGC 3 gun a shotgun reloading contest or is it a match involving the use of 3 different firearms? Would consider crossing the border to try it out if I don't have to spend $100 just in shotgun ammo to prove that I can hit lots of targets 10 yards away and know how to reload a shotgun. Otherwise I'll stick with 2 gun. Speaking of which, I wish the 2 gun that's nearby me had more physical challenges and less "blast lots of poppers with your pistol".

First off, you can do 2gun at the AGC 3gun match. As to loading the shotgun...well...:tap: it isn't bayonet drill, so it is going to have to be loaded to do any good. At the last match, shotguns started out loaded (I think it was 8 in the mag, 1 chambered). If your capacity allowed, you could load more after the beep. There were enough targets that you would have to reload once, even if you shot 100% clean.

If I remember correctly, I took 200 rnds for both of us, and came home with 2 unopened boxes plus a handful of loosies. Even if I don't remember correctly, I'm absolutely certain we didn't burn $100 out of two shotguns. One of us was foolish enough to be shooting .308 and .45acp, :innocent0 so our total ammo cost could have been pushing $100, but that was for 2 shooters and not just shotgun.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Slight thread derail - as one of two shooting the 365 (the other being a very good friend of mine) let me expound and say that we didn't shoot the 365 because it's all we had but instead do it because that is what we carry often and were using this as an opportunity to get tuned up with them and why not? Not a lot of people that I know carry a Glock 34 or a Shadow 2.

Another good reason to bring what you already have to 3-gun (2-gun, steel challenge, or IDPA etc). Nothing fire tests equipment and technique like trying to do it under pressure while moving. Bad guys (deer, bears, etc) are simply not paper targets that present a good shot on your schedule. Even if one is not "competitive" its well worth the practice to "tune up" your equipment.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Unless you can shoot in your backyard and have free ammo[1], you are correct that shooting guns competitively and being really good at it is a very expensive hobby. Dry-firing at home regularly with a good plan (eg, Steve Anderson's book) will get you pretty far, but recoil management is going to require some disciplined live-fire. Frankly, the cost of ammo and gear tweaks is going to far outweigh any range membership costs.

That said, don't bother spectating. Show up and shoot.

[1] And the truth is, even shooting in your backyard isn't cheap once you've set it up correctly.

Mar 6, 2019

Initially just looking at $200 for a membership seemed like too much. In my case it was a no brainer. I probably hit the range 2-3 times per month. Mostly to shoot rifle, but I’ll shoot pistol sometimes too. 24-36 individual range fees ($240-360 at $10/trip), not counting when I take my wife or son with me. Financially it made sense to me and my circumstances.

As someone else mentioned you don’t need to be a member to shoot in an open event at AGC. You’ll just pay a little more. How much more depends on the event, but at least three different events are $20 for non-members $10 for members.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    So the hardest pill for me to swallow with 3 gun shooting actually seems to be the cost of range time. I don't have a shotgun but know AGC offers to share.T he closest rifle range, as well as 3 gun matches, AFAIK, is AGC. In addition to a $200 membership (required to partake, correct?), I'm also looking at a 45 minute drive from Odenton. There is a much closer indoor pistol range for practice (On Target), which is admittedly the more perishable skill, but then there's either a $200 membership or $15-20 per visit tied to that as well.

Initially just looking at $200 for a membership seemed like too much.

$200 a year for a range membership is below market average. On Target in Severn starts at $225, and its only a pistol range. Cindy's Hot Shots (just opened) is $250.

At $200 a year, for-profit ranges are not making money or just barely. Real estate is expensive in MD, insurance is expensive in MD, maintenance is expensive in MD, and labor is also expensive. So, AGC is comparatively a great deal.

AGC is volunteer driven, so there are ways to trade your labor for range badge credits.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    I wish I knew where to even start with this, because 2 / 3 gun has always been super interesting to me. The barrier to entry truly is cost / time, because as much as I'm able to put ego aside and realize I'd suck the first umpteen times out, it'd be a thrill just to be in a real-deal timed competition. The bigger issue is the only place I can practice any type of dynamic move n' shoot is at my cabin in Northern PA which I'm only at about once every 6 weeks this time of year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom