• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I owned a sub 2k and sold it. Felt awkward and flimsy.
    I have a Ruger. Accurate enough, cheap enough, solid and 1 failure in probably 500 rounds and I'll blame a Korean mag.
    Ruger downside...very short sight radius (takedown) and kinda heavy for a takedown rifle.
    I might buy another one in stripped down chassis format.

Yeah the short sight radius kills me. I can still mostly punch out the ten spot with an AR, but my spread with the Ruger PC is far and wide.

I seem to do better with a red dot on it. May end up going that way....

However as a platform I love it. Have some issues with mags, the gun doesn't run as well as I would like with the Glock adapter and Magpul mags.....

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yeah the short sight radius kills me. I can still mostly punch out the ten spot with an AR, but my spread with the Ruger PC is far and wide.

I seem to do better with a red dot on it. May end up going that way....

However as a platform I love it. Have some issues with mags, the gun doesn't run as well as I would like with the Glock adapter and Magpul mags.....

Use Glock mags and your issues will go away.

PTM76

Oct 30, 2007
    I owned a sub 2k and sold it. Felt awkward and flimsy.
    I have a Ruger. Accurate enough, cheap enough, solid and 1 failure in probably 500 rounds and I'll blame a Korean mag.
    Ruger downside...very short sight radius (takedown) and kinda heavy for a takedown rifle.
    I might buy another one in stripped down chassis format.

I had a sub 2k, and I think the recoil on them just kills the appeal. I was very surprised by it. It sucked for what it was, and when the Ruger came out I sold it to get the ruger.

Magpul is making a backpacker stock for the Ruger, so thats what I am going with.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Was in mine too, but grand power is taking forever to get that version of the stribog to market. Cmmg wants too much money for what their guns are imo.

CCMG bolt/barrel is $375. Build out the rest yourself. You just need a glock mag lower and standard upper. You can do this easily.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    CCMG bolt/barrel is $375. Build out the rest yourself. You just need a glock mag lower and standard upper. You can do this easily.
    This is not necessarily true. Standard Glock lowers often hold the mag too high and require extensive modifications.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

so i just got a glock-mag-spec AR lower. i know nothing about delayed blowback. is yours and everyone else's 100% reliable, no excuses no nothing?

so with this cmmg bolt and barrel, recoil is significantly diminished over a 'normal' ar-based pcc? i'm shooting a jp gmr13 now without a lot of recoil (muzzle rise).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was looking at a sub2K, cause of the cool factor of how compact it is but then read some of this thread. I think I'd put a red dot on it cause a friend of mine did not like the sights. He got rid of it before I could try it and he said that its really cool when you unfold it and fold it back up again, but now when shooting it. That comment was disappointing.

I think I'll do some more research. For indoor rifle shooting, I still have a number of choices already including 22 AR conversion, 357 & 45LC lever action (the original PCC)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is not necessarily true. Standard Glock lowers often hold the mag too high and require extensive modifications.

My sample size of 2 (80 percent lowers) ran perfectly. I guess YMMV.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It is. You can get the CMMG BCG/barrel for $375. You can do a radial delayed gun for well under $1000.

Especially since you can use an existing AR lower with a carbine buffer (according to CMMG) and their conversión mags.
    This is what I’m doing now. Bought the 16” barrel and bolt. Add a rail, compensator, and 9mm stripped upper and you’re good to go. “Borrowing” a red dot sight from another AR I have and I’m hoping to be shooting mine by next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

FWIW, I used New Frontier 80 percent. No problems. It looks like what CMMG uses.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I was looking at a sub2K, cause of the cool factor of how compact it is but then read some of this thread. I think I'd put a red dot on it cause a friend of mine did not like the sights. He got rid of it before I could try it and he said that its really cool when you unfold it and fold it back up again, but now when shooting it. That comment was disappointing.

No, it's not an ergonomic dreamboat, but that's part of the price you pay for its ability to fold in half.

Here's mine, absurdly pimped out:

attachment.php

And if you're interested in behavior in the field, scoot to about 1:40 in this quick little video link below, where you can see it being used in a fun steel match at AGC. Watch closely, and you can get a feel for the (to me, insignificant) recoil issue. That was with 124g 9mm:

https://vimeo.com/374179445/c24ba7fac0

For the price, it's a pretty interesting little gun. With a simple red dot, I can really move with that thing on stages like you see in that vid. Um, not counting the fact that I personally don't move very quickly at all!

But I've shot typical 5-plate Steel Challenge stages with that rig in 2.7 seconds, with virtually no practice.

Last edited:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    so i just got a glock-mag-spec AR lower. i know nothing about delayed blowback. is yours and everyone else's 100% reliable, no excuses no nothing?

so with this cmmg bolt and barrel, recoil is significantly diminished over a 'normal' ar-based pcc? i'm shooting a jp gmr13 now without a lot of recoil (muzzle rise).

Isn’t that the precursor to the gmr-15 that’s like 1,750 dollars with zero options and a mild spec charging handle lmao?

You think it’s worth what it costs?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I have a Spikes Glock lower and it won’t work with the RDB system
    I bought the barrel and bolt combo but it’s designed to be used with their AR9 conversión mags and a standard AR lower (which is the route I’m taking) or one of their MkG lowers.

I just finished building my upper with the barrel and bolt. Will have the conversion mags next week so hopefully I can squeeze in a quick range trip next week and give it a test run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    No, it's not an ergonomic dreamboat, but that's part of the price you pay for its ability to fold in half.

Here's mine, absurdly pimped out:

attachment.php

And if you're interested in behavior in the field, scoot to about 1:40 in this quickly little video link below, where you can see it being used in a fun steel match at AGC. Watch closely, and you can get a feel for the (to me, insignificant) recoil issue. That was with 124g 9mm:

https://vimeo.com/374179445/c24ba7fac0

For the price, it's a pretty interesting little gun. With a simple red dot, I can really move with that thing on stages like you see in that vid. Um, not counting the fact that I personally don't move very quickly at all!

But I've shot typical 5-plate Steel Challenge stages with that rig in 2.7 seconds, with virtually no practice.

Am I literally the only person who didnt picture Occam to have a pony tail?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Am I literally the only person who didnt picture Occam to have a pony tail?

It’s all part of my clever disguise. Allows me to move unnoticed through parts of lower Montgomery County. They think I’m a granola cruncher from Tacoma Park or Cabin John as long as I don’t actually say anything out loud. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom