Moving my collection to Texas, suggestions..

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I had a small 'collection' 20 odd pieces, so I boxd them up,put them in the safe, put the safe in a Pods with the furniture and put the ammo in cans in the Suburban.
    No problems.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I just moved from Denver to Baltimore. I rented a Penske box truck which had plenty of room to spare. I never left the truck unattended and have lots of practice sleeping in parked vehicles. Baltimore to anyplace east of Amarillo is two days at most and this time of year is pretty easy driving once south of Virginia.

Leave yourself a day or two loading and a day or so unloading. Most rentals are based on seven days and Penske had a 16' truck with unlimited mileage for about $300. Add $150 for gas and it is the absolute least expensive way to move lots of stuff.

Be safe.

16' One Way Van

$322.00

+ Free Unlimited Mileage

March Promotion

- $28.98

Promotional Discount

- $32.20

ENVIRONMENTAL FEE

$9.00

Towing and Supplies
    HAND TRUCK ONEWAY RENTAL (1 EA @ $10.00)

$10.00

Rental Estimated Total

$279.82

Estimated Tax Total

$27.30

Overall Estimated Total

$307.12

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    When I moved between States I transported all the firearms with me. I agree with the others that recommend a box truck. I purchased a couple of the KNAXX job boxes to contain everything as they looked a lot less conspicuous than the gun safes. Those I sold back in CA and bought new safes when I got to AZ

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I'd go with what Lazarus said. I moved my large collection to Vermont from Maryland a few years ago. Big box truck with the collection buried in the front and a HUGE safe in the pick up truck (empty) trailing. My only mistake was I had stacked ammo high and deep from CMP years ago and I tried to load a bunch of it in a separate trip in the trunk of my Honda Civic instead of in the truck. What was I thinking.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    small or medium box truck or rent a motor home enjoy the trip. NO MOVERS I ran insurance claims for a insurance company for years inspecting damaged items and documenting loss or stolen property.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Rent a U-Haul, Penske or other box truck and drive them down yourself.

I did it this way the last time I moved, but that was only 60 miles or so, from southern MD to NoVA. I rented an 18 foot Penske truck, and bought a couple of dozen shipping blankets from ebay.....all the ammo cans made a layer on the floor, then a layer of shipping blankets, then a layer of rifles, then a layer of shipping blankets, etc.. Pistols went into plastic bubble wrap bags with a zip closure that I got off AMZ and put into Home Depot small boxes. I had 3-4 friends help me load and unload and everything was done pretty quickly but if I had to do it with jusst one or two people on a longer move it wouldn't have been much more trouble. I would just drive through and not stop anywhere over night.

Noahjm13

Jun 24, 2018
    It’s never a good idea to let movers handle firearms. I’ve heard a few horror stories (lost/stolen). A lot of companies also won’t allow or Insure firearms when being transported.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    I have recently retired and plan to move to Texas sometime next year. Need ideas on moving the collection. It is too large to consider shipping FFL to FFL. The shipping and fees would easily pay for a 1941 Johnon, maybe with K-43 thrown in.

My original plan was to tow a trailer with them packed in locked crates inside, but my SUV was recently totaled and I am looking for other options before springing for another SUV with a trailer hitch that will be rarely used. My handguns ammo and some carbine length long guns can go in the trunk of my other car when i drive it down ahead of the main move, but my alternative for the long guns (mostly WWI and WWII milsurps) appears to be letting the mover take them. Does anyone have any experience with sending guns in their home move?

U-Haul rents, one way, trailer hitches that can be put on and taken off, which are free rent , I believe, when you rent a trailer. That may be your best bet.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    While the move may be next spring it could be sooner. House is on the market now. And I Need to buy a new vehicle next week. My Mustang is too small to manage wit my disabled wife, her mother, and two large dogs. So I need to decide quickly if trailer towing is a must have criteria in selecting a new car.

The Texas Hill country is a 3 day car trip.

BTW, JHE, stay to hell away from Illinois, as well as Maryland. Illinois will confiscate your "stuff", lock you up, and throw away the key. You'll get to Texas about 2030, if then.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Movers packed most of my guns in Hawaii and were delivered here with zero problems. I was pretty nervous about it though. They also told me to pack my powder in boxes. I don't think they realized what I asked them. But all my powder and ammo was fine as well. I had the bottom drawer of a rolling toolbox full of shotgun shells and the drawer broke due to weight but was locked with a bar so it couldn't fall out or open.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    ^^^ good one.

9. Drive soon so you can then drive up to the Tulsa Gun Show next weekend after you unload. Keep the van, your gonna need it for the show.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I am not the OP but all this advice is greatly appreciated by me because I am planning to retire in FL in the next few years and was wondering what the best way was for me to get my firearm collection down there. I don't think that I have as big a collection as the OP, so I think that I can just pack them in a small rental truck and drive it down there. Thanks for all the good advice and information.

Cal68

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Ok. I just moved to Florida from Maryland this summer with a collection of long guns and handguns plus lots of reloading supplies including smokeless powder, primers, and lots of ammo.

Went thru the same decision making process and and came to the conclusion that I needed to drive straight thru with the collection in the very front cargo of a box truck with my household goods. Here’s why...

PODS will work, but they don’t allow guns so if there is a problems the loss will be on you.

Moving Companies will move the collection with the household goods. I’ve used them before with military moves and not had a problem. But they are expensive.

It is legal to mail the firearms to yourself, but anything over 20 guns or so would get expensive.

Same for using an FFL.

So that leaves the box truck, trailer or SUV. Problem with that is, I quickly came to the conclusion that I’d have to drive straight thru. Gonna leave the gun collection in the parking lot? Don’t think so.

Also, these days, I wouldn’t put it past some concerned desk clerk to call the police on you after watching you make multiple runs of gun cases into the room.

So if driving, some things to think about...

Are the guns legal in the state your going to?
    Are they legal to transport thru the state or city you are traveling thru? (Wash DC and NY)

Does the state require you to stop at weigh stations with a rental (state specific and you’d be surprised many require the stop)

Do you have to stop for Ag Inspections with a rental truck? (Florida yes)

Max amount of ammo/powder/primers allowed to transport legally in the state?

I’d find a good friend and make the drive with some strategic stops planned to rest in the truck along the way.

Hope the info helps

BTW, Florida is a refreshingly gun friendly state!

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    When my son went on AD after commissioning we had his household goods picked up here and shipped to Cali. Included with that was his personal pistol. Required a bit more paperwork at both ends of the journey, but there was not a hitch. Very specific about serial number etc.. I was concerned about it, but it made it there fine. I don't recall if it was a Cali law or the mover's but they did not ship any ammo with it..

Good Luck!

Movers packed most of my guns in Hawaii and were delivered here with zero problems. I was pretty nervous about it though. They also told me to pack my powder in boxes. I don't think they realized what I asked them. But all my powder and ammo was fine as well. I had the bottom drawer of a rolling toolbox full of shotgun shells and the drawer broke due to weight but was locked with a bar so it couldn't fall out or open.

I'd never let standard issue movers touch my firearms or anything related to them. The .mil is/did firing/fire the last company because they were trash, but the new one is still the second lowest bidder

I am not the OP but all this advice is greatly appreciated by me because I am planning to retire in FL in the next few years and was wondering what the best way was for me to get my firearm collection down there. I don't think that I have as big a collection as the OP, so I think that I can just pack them in a small rental truck and drive it down there. Thanks for all the good advice and information.

Cal68

Ok. I just moved to Florida from Maryland this summer with a collection of long guns and handguns plus lots of reloading supplies including smokeless powder, primers, and lots of ammo.

BTW, Florida is a refreshingly gun friendly state!

Use caution... Compared to MD, CA, and IL, it's a dream. But Florida is being completely overrun by lefties as well, and recently enacted red flag laws and increased the age to purchase rifles and shotguns to 21. Is it the next Virginia? I doubt it. But it could be a few down the road... For a state that doesn't require handguns to be registered, it's a huge step in the wrong direction.

IanN

Nov 10, 2019
    I moved to Texas from the other coast. Rented a 24' Uhaul. Loaded the safes and ammo near the cab. Wrapped guns in uhaul blankets and stacked them in the safe. Then packed everything else. Barely made it up the hill outside of Albuquerque those safes and ammo were heavy. Parked the Uhaul in well lit areas under cameras. 1700 miles and two days later we were home... and free.

Uhaul blankets worked really well. Packed them tight in the safe and didn't notice a single dent or ding.

Make sure you get a newer Uhaul. My biggest concern was breaking down and having to transfer all that hardware into another van.

Still have hear the wife complain that my guns fit in the uhaul but her potted plants didn't. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom