Lytle Novelty Co replica guns - anybody got one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I've got a Marushin Uzi that was made by a Japanese company in the early '80s. It's dimensionally 1:1 with the real thing (to the point of sharing a handful of interchangeable parts....like the magazine in the photo) and "shoots" caps in plastic bullets (firing from an open-bolt!:shocked3:). They're quite valuable collectibles today.

I had a relative (who has since moved out of the area), and it was alleged he had an unregistered Thompson MG. Well -I paid a visit and looked at it. It was a stage prop, with "made in Japan" stamped on. It did look real from about 10 feet away.

[EDIT] He had a colorful story to go along with it. Supposedly, ATF was duped into buying a bunch of these because someone though they were real(?) Not sure I believe the story; this guy had a habit of telling tall tales.

Sir Gilmonti

Jun 18, 2019
    Hello there. I have been trying to figure out who made these and a rather extensive search led me to your post. When I was a kid I loved playing with these; my dad had two of the colts, a Luger, a C96 broom handle and a p38. I'd run around the neighborhood with my friends plain cops and robbers or "sneak behind enemy lines" or blast indians who were trying to raid our fort. With the exception of one of the colts they have been lost to time. I don't mean to be forward but would you consider selling any of these? (Forgive me if this is not the right forum for such a question.)

Jul 1, 2012
    I'm not looking to sell any of mine right now, esp. since it's a complete set of the "1st gen" 12 pieces.
    They pop up on eBay and GunBroker occasionally, but often aren't described properly (e.g. listed as "die-cast replica" etc) so it takes some digging and patience.
    You might try a "Want To Buy" ad on gunboards as well.

Hogan

Dec 14, 2019
    Spanish Moxley

Yes that's the Spanish Moxley and one of the rarer Lytle pistols as it was unknown to many at the time and therefore not popular like the others. I've only come across 3 Moxley's over 50 years - with 2 having their hammer spurs broken off and that I have sold over the years - but still have one that's all intact but
    had the grips painted to look like wood. Not sure how to enclose a photo of it or I would

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The broom handles are actually fairly rare. They were frequently used to make replicas of hans blaster.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Figured I would resurrect this old thread to add something that I've been working on for a couple of years now. Always wanted an MGC Luger. This was a Japanese built full sized replica built from "pot metal" that could fire a low power cartridge of their design. Very cool. These were built in the 70s and as I kid I lusted for one but they weren't cheap. Doubt they were ever intended for anyone but an adult.
    I found a rare Navy Luger version that had a broken breech at auction. That started a 2 year search for either parts of an organ donor. In the end it was an organ donor. Found a lot with a P08 and a couple of fake Nazi daggers. Got it cheap, threw the daggers into the trash, and rebuilt my P04. Other than the breech and the rear sight the rest of the pistol is an exact copy and even field strips the same as the original. The magazine even has the same very stiff spring that I know would require a Luger tool to load, you're not doing this with your thumb for very long!

Attachments

• IMGP9462.jpg
      IMGP9462.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 172
    • IMGP9463.jpg
      IMGP9463.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 176
    • IMGP9464.jpg
      IMGP9464.jpg
      25.5 KB · Views: 169
    • IMGP9465.jpg
      IMGP9465.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 171
    Jul 1, 2012
    That's pretty cool !

MGC (and some other companies) made some pretty interesting, and now very collectible, replicas back in the day.
    I stumbled across a pair of Walthers on Simpson's website a while ago. I was sweating proverbial bullets trying to maneuver thru their archaic website and checkout before someone else snatched 'em :)

They don't look too bad from a distance but any more than a cursory examination shows the lines just aren't quite right. Both of them "cycle" the slide when you pull the trigger. Or at least they should... it some cleaning and maybe a whack or two to get them working.

Attachments

• P38-1.JPG
      P38-1.JPG
      145.6 KB · Views: 148
    • P38-2.JPG
      P38-2.JPG
      125.2 KB · Views: 150
    • P38-3.JPG
      P38-3.JPG
      85.6 KB · Views: 146
    • PDP-1.JPG
      PDP-1.JPG
      147.6 KB · Views: 148
    • PDP-2.JPG
      PDP-2.JPG
      136.2 KB · Views: 143

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I had one of these Lugers when I was a kid in the 70’s. It was so cool and popular that it quickly disappeared . Wish I still had it.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    You see them turn up in Playhouses prop departments. They are useful and the actors cannot hurt themselves unless they eat them

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -The trip down the rabbit hole continues... Picked up two more Lugers, these from RMI, in a single lot at auction outside of York a couple weeks ago. One is a P08 in the original box and the other is a L08 Artillery Luger. Sadly the L08 rear sight leaf and slider assembly are gone, broken off. But the rest of the pistol is in great shape. Wondering if spares are available or if a sight from a Denex L08 would work.
    IMGP9828.JPG
    IMGP9829.JPG

IMGP9830.JPG

IMGP9833.JPG
    IMGP9834.JPG
    IMGP9832.JPG

IMGP9835.JPG

IMGP9834.JPG

IMGP9836.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP9836.JPG
      IMGP9836.JPG
      233 KB · Views: 33

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    These RMI replicas are impressive in that they're a full 1:1 copy of a Luger. I'm wondering if a real L08 sight assembly wouldn't just drop into place with no mods. I got lucky in that I got this last pair for $75 delivered. Still can't believe nobody stepped up against my $50 bid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom