Good bullet to load for hot .357 out of a 20" rifle barrel.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Looking to load for my Ruger 77/357.
    I would like to approximate the Buffalo Bore 19A/20 as that shoots very well out of this gun.
    Having a hard time finding bullets that are rated for the velocity I want. We're talking 1700-1800fps.

I might like to use it to hunt whitetail someday so there is that to consider.

Any suggestions??

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Oh and also I am so currently using Bullzeye powder since that's what I load in my .38spls. Would a faster burning powder be more desirable?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A quality hard cast bullet should get you there.

Hunters Supply. Meister. Oregon Trail. Etc. Check Midway USA.

Most claim no leading up to 1,600fps.

Keep lack of expansion in mind when using hard cast to whack Bambi.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    A quality hard cast bullet should get you there.

Hunters. Meister. Oregon Trail. Etc. Check Midway USA.

Most claim no leading up to 1,600fps.

Keep lack of expansion in mind when using hard cast to whack Bambi.

Yeah I saw some on midway but the ratings weren't great. I wonder if I can somehow obtain the projectiles Buffalo bore uses. Their 180grn Hardcast is perfect.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    Their 180 hard cast also has a gas check, I believe. I'm not sure if anybody sells bullets with gas checks already installed. Maybe look for the Swift A-Frame for your heavy hunting 357 load.
    As for powder, you'll need some W296, H110 or 300MP to get the velocities you want.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've loaded thousands of Meister bullets ranging from mild to screaming in 45 LC. Never a problem.

Used a fair share of Hunters Supply too.

A lot of people expect way too much from a cast lead bullet. Hence some of the poor ratings.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Their 180 hard cast also has a gas check, I believe. I'm not sure if anybody sells bullets with gas checks already installed. Maybe look for the Swift A-Frame for your heavy hunting 357 load.
    As for powder, you'll need some W296, H110 or 300MP to get the velocities you want.

Helpful. Thanks!

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I've loaded thousands of Meister bullets ranging from mild to screaming in 45 LC. Never a problem.

Used a fair share of Hunters Supply too.

A lot of people expect way too much from a cast lead bullet. Hence some of the poor ratings.

Rgr that. I'll probably try a variety of what's available.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    I looked into this very thing a while back for my Marlin 1894c, but never got anywhere with it. The Buffalo Bore numbers are impressive, and I never found a way to duplicate them on anyone's website or manual.

Bullseye is a fast powder. To take advantage of the longer rifle barrel you'll need something slower, like H110, W296, Lil' Gun or 2400, but like I said, the books don't show these powders approaching Buffalo Bore's numbers.

I did find an internet post that referenced LBT molds and Veral Smith's book "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets". He claims his bullets and lube give about 1900fps with a 187gr bullet. However he references using 17 grs of H110, which is 3.5 grs over the max on Hodgdon's website, so proceed at your own risk. Heres a link to what I found
    http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=2201.0

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I looked into this very thing a while back for my Marlin 1894c, but never got anywhere with it. The Buffalo Bore numbers are impressive, and I never found a way to duplicate them on anyone's website or manual.

Bullseye is a fast powder. To take advantage of the longer rifle barrel you'll need something slower, like H110, W296, Lil' Gun or 2400, but like I said, the books don't show these powders approaching Buffalo Bore's numbers.

I did find an internet post that referenced LBT molds and Veral Smith's book "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets". He claims his bullets and lube give about 1900fps with a 187gr bullet. However he references using 17 grs of H110, which is 3.5 grs over the max on Hodgdon's website, so proceed at your own risk. Heres a link to what I found
    http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=2201.0

Good post thank you.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    No help on the load just wanted to ask how you liked the rifle? Been considering picking one upon the future if I can find one.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    No help on the load just wanted to ask how you liked the rifle? Been considering picking one upon the future if I can find one.

I like it very much. Just know that it is really a 100yrd gun, maybe 150 max because of the round. Both accuracy and energy suffer past that range. But the versatile nature of the rifle, along with the fact that I'm already set up to load for it makes it very fun for me.

Just fyi I believe they discontinued the 77/357 this year so like you suspect it might be a tough get.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Oh and also I am so currently using Bullzeye powder since that's what I load in my .38spls. Would a faster burning powder be more desirable?

There is no faster burning powder. If you have 6 to 8 inch barrel (or longer), use a slower burning powder that will accelerate the bullet down the barrel a bit further and won't reach peak pressure as quickly. Bullseye is designed for light target loads. Oops, missed it is a rifle. Use a relatively slow powder

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    There is no faster burning powder. If you have 6 to 8 inch barrel (or longer), use a slower burning powder that will accelerate the bullet down the barrel a bit further and won't reach peak pressure as quickly. Bullseye is designed for light target loads. Oops, missed it is a rifle. Use a relatively slow powder

I've only loaded for Handgun thus far. Slower powder for rifle makes total sense thanks!!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Brian Pearce wrote a colum on this for Handloader. If you want jacketed expanding on purpose, the ones that expanded w/o blowing up ( the bullet, not the gun) were 158 XTP, 158 Gold Dot, and the discontinued Speer 146 half jacket HP.

And 1700-1800 fps from 20in is factory loads. Pearce's warm loads were running 1900-2000fps with 158gr . For those vels Lil Gun , 296, and H110 . 2400 and AA9 could edge out factory loads, but not get 1900 .

For what it's worth, B. Pearce he considers a .357 rifle * so loaded * favorably over 150gr .30-30, and reports they do well on Mule Deer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

There is not much faster than Bullseye.

I would say slower for the longer barrel.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Looking to load for my Ruger 77/357.
    I would like to approximate the Buffalo Bore 19A/20 as that shoots very well out of this gun.
    Having a hard time finding bullets that are rated for the velocity I want. We're talking 1700-1800fps.

I might like to use it to hunt whitetail someday so there is that to consider.

Any suggestions??
    I want this same rifle, how do you like it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom