• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Sweet, I am really surprised how well they work.
    two years ago I learned the numbers the state paid for snow removal contractors, IIRC Bobcat was $75 hr, backhoe/front end loader was $100 hr and ATV was $50 hr. ICBWrong but that is what I was offered.

Snow Saturday? :)

Ridersville Cycle in WV, best prices by far. Berkely Springs I believe.

Last edited:

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    I've had both warn and cycle country snow blades and would recommend either one. A wench is overkill. Warm makes a plow lift which is less than a wench. But before warn wenches got so expensive it was usually worth the difference in price to have a wench since it would be useful for other things.

As pointed out, there is probably a wench plate you could get for $25 that would let you mount an atv wench behind the front bumper.

The plows are easy to install so I can't see paying someone for that. Wench installation with wiring for a thumb switch on the handlebars is another issue. Unless they've changed the design of the mid mount plows, they'll probably recommend removing the mounting plate during the off season.

I've run a 60" blade with a 600cc Yamaha Grizzly and I don't think I'd recommend 60" on anything less than 600cc with wet heavy snow. I've seen 48" on a 300cc so 50" should be a breeze and 54" would probably work fairly well for you.

It may have been mentioned earlier, but plows are tough on wench cable. You can get a 5' cable and fairlead for plow use and save the wear and tear on the longer cable. They're also a lot cheaper and I recommend keeping a spare on hand as I've broke 2 cables moving snow over the years.

Honestly I find a snow blower to be better for the deep stuff, plow better for the lower, wetter accumulations.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    OP,

Something you should look for when selecting a blade, is whether it can angle. Fixed blades that can only be raised and lowered are okay, but you need to pay attention to the engine CCs. When you angle blade, then the blade will cut through the snow and the CCs become less of a factor.

One of the main reasons I chose a Denali plow

img97.jpg

http://www.utvpartsandaccessories.com/viper_snowplows_denali_standard.htm

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    2500 lb winch, it's only picking the blade up..... right????

Didn't see or know about the winch mount BUT I will check the online owners manual. So far all I have used it for was joy rides in the woods and a wood dragger. It does very well in AWD low.

Yes, but if you pick up the plow to the limit, the winch doesn't know it's only picking up a plow and will apply 2,500 lb of force. That will be multiplied by any bend or turn in the rope.
    <voice of experience>

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Do you guys use chains on the tires? I've been wanting to do this for awhile but haven't. Probably would have if my winch didn't break a couple of years ago.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    OP,

Something you should look for when selecting a blade, is whether it can angle. Fixed blades that can only be raised and lowered are okay, but you need to pay attention to the engine CCs. When you angle blade, then the blade will cut through the snow and the CCs become less of a factor.

One of the main reasons I chose a Denali plow

img97.jpg

http://www.utvpartsandaccessories.com/viper_snowplows_denali_standard.htm

Other than the hydraulic option for angling the blade, all plows I've had could be set at the same angles they specified. You just had to get off the atv and manually change it.

Biggest issues I've experienced is snow coming over the top of the plow due to depth and rolling motion causing it to exceed the blade height before it exits on the edge closest to the atv. Deep snows can be a pain because you run out space to put it. The mid mount plows won lift very high either. So you can end up with packed snow walls and no place to put additional snow. This is why I prefer a snow blower for deep snows.

Ccs may not matter as much on a flat surface, but if you end up having to push it uphill, the more the better.

As pointed out, you can get manual lift kits so you don't need a wench, but I don't see these as much now as when I got my first one 15 years ago.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I had a mid mount Moose plow on my Kawasaki Brute Force 750. It seriously affected ground clearance and in deep heavy snow, couldn't get the blade out of the way.

During snowmageddon several years back, i made it 20 feet with the mid mount plow. Blasted out of my garage and high centered. Dug it out, backed it into the garage and removed the plow. The next 3 hours I spent wearing a track up my street that I could plow from.

Sold that bike and got a Yamaha Kodiak 700 with Warn Provantage plow and winch. Received the bike the day before last year's big snow hit.

We had 23" fall overnight on our street. I raised the plow as high as it would go, blasted out my garage and chugged up my street on the first try. It was surreal cutting through the Virgin snow, almost rack deep. Had to plow in two layers but it worked like a charm.

I plow for a couple local landscapers. Bill rate is $100 per hour. ATV does the work of 10+ guys in 1/4 the time.

I've never used chains.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I had a mid mount Moose plow on my Kawasaki Brute Force 750. It seriously affected ground clearance and in deep heavy snow, couldn't get the blade out of the way.

During snowmageddon several years back, i made it 20 feet with the mid mount plow. Blasted out of my garage and high centered. Dug it out, backed it into the garage and removed the plow. The next 3 hours I spent wearing a track up my street that I could plow from.

Sold that bike and got a Yamaha Kodiak 700 with Warn Provantage plow and winch. Received the bike the day before last year's big snow hit.

We had 23" fall overnight on our street. I raised the plow as high as it would go, blasted out my garage and chugged up my street on the first try. It was surreal cutting through the Virgin snow, almost rack deep. Had to plow in two layers but it worked like a charm.

I plow for a couple local landscapers. Bill rate is $100 per hour. ATV does the work of 10+ guys in 1/4 the time.

I've never used chains.

That's the other drawback about mid mount plows, you can only lift as far as the frame allows. With the ProVantage, the pivot is at the bumper and you can get the plow way up in the air. If there is a heavy snow, you can use this to push your piles further back than if you are only pushing at ground level.

This also works well if you decide to convert to a dump bucket later

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom