• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Just read an article in one of the NRA magazines about installing a reflex sight on a handgun. It talks about the slide needing milling and should be a major consideration before purchasing.

The reflex sight like the Leupold Deltapoint Pro can be installed with a bracket but there is no mention of that in the article.
    Is a bracket not a recommended way of mounting a sight?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    generally you can mount an optic to the frame (ie it doesn't reciprocate with the slide) or you can mount it to the slide. Two ways to mount it to the slide - a dovetail mount using the rear sight dovetail or screwed to the slide. The Glock MOS, for example, has the slide pre-milled and tapped to accept various brackets/plates that fit various optics (rmr, deltapoint, etc). The milled slide and bracket/plate seem to be the most popular way of mounting optics, at least to carry/HD guns.

the vast majority of USPSA open division guns have their optics mounted to the frames, but that takes up more real estate than slide-mounted.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Bracket is decent milling is better. I've been debating chopping up my 17 for a Deltapoint but as of now the BUIS configurations that are available are less than what I desire. Which sucks because its a slightly better optic for my purpose than an RMR. The MOS/CORE/whatever Walther is calling theirs suck. They're trying to sell a premium product (milled cowitness red dot) at dollar menu prices to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Getting your slide milled lets you mount suppressor height sights to co-witness with the optic. Just had a Vortex Venom mounted to my 21L, now to order the night sights next paycheck...

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    What is the general expense of milling? Is it something that armorers should know how to do? Is damage to the slide easily done if not done correctly?

Thinking of maybe finding another slide for a P226 and having that done. Then I can switch out the slides easy to have traditional sights. Is that an uncommon way of doing it?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    before you go milling slides etc i suggest you try to look thru some handguns with optics mounted on them. i actually want to do the same thing. the problem is that the dots on these optics are higher above the slide than stock handgun sights and thus it may not be super easy to "pick up the dot" when drawing and trying to get on target. having taller fixed sights may help you index to the dot quicker, but still we're talking higher than usual.

in a similar situation, i have an USPSA open division gun that has a slide mounted red dot. because of the optic body, it sits like a quarter to half inch above the slide and especially in awkward stances, it sometimes took way too much time to "find the dot." i was able to turn the optic 90 degrees which puts the dot way closer to the slide and thus way easier to pick up. with a carry/hd gun, this won't be as practical as it takes a larger form factor.

i think if you seriously train with a dot on top of your slide it will become less and less of a problem, if at all. but if you go back and forth between that gun and other guns with regular sights, it definitely will make it harder to find the dot, at least it did for me.

just saying look thru a couple of guns with optics mounted and see for yourself how good or not that works for you before you sink money into this. but it is something you can train around if it is a problem.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What is the general expense of milling? Is it something that armorers should know how to do? Is damage to the slide easily done if not done correctly?

Thinking of maybe finding another slide for a P226 and having that done. Then I can switch out the slides easy to have traditional sights. Is that an uncommon way of doing it?

You can find Bubba with a hacksaw and a handdrill he hooked up to a " 'lectric motuh" or a professional company and gunsmith that will make sure it's milled and centered correctly. Bruce Gray may offfer this, Saurez International does offer this along with other Sig products. Not sure if ATEi does them for Sigs.

It is VERY easy for Bubba to fvck up a slide.

Armorers are unlikely to be able to do this as it's more of a pro smith job.

If you want to be able to have irons only the simplest and cheapest way is to ask the smith to unclude a cover plate. Remove optic, install plate and voila irons only. (You will need to rezero the optic each time though)

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    before you go milling slides etc i suggest you try to look thru some handguns with optics mounted on them. i actually want to do the same thing. the problem is that the dots on these optics are higher above the slide than stock handgun sights and thus it may not be super easy to "pick up the dot" when drawing and trying to get on target. having taller fixed sights may help you index to the dot quicker, but still we're talking higher than usual.

in a similar situation, i have an USPSA open division gun that has a slide mounted red dot. because of the optic body, it sits like a quarter to half inch above the slide and especially in awkward stances, it sometimes took way too much time to "find the dot." i was able to turn the optic 90 degrees which puts the dot way closer to the slide and thus way easier to pick up. with a carry/hd gun, this won't be as practical as it takes a larger form factor.

i think if you seriously train with a dot on top of your slide it will become less and less of a problem, if at all. but if you go back and forth between that gun and other guns with regular sights, it definitely will make it harder to find the dot, at least it did for me.

just saying look thru a couple of guns with optics mounted and see for yourself how good or not that works for you before you sink money into this. but it is something you can train around if it is a problem.

This
    I had a red dot on an HK USP for a while. It was dovetail mounted, shot well and never changed zero. Ended up taking it off because finding the dot is different than finding sights. Too confusing for me.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Thanks again for providing good insight. I think I'm going to table this idea for a while.

Seems like the better idea would be, one suggested, to get a handgun with it pre-installed.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thanks again for providing good insight. I think I'm going to table this idea for a while.

Seems like the better idea would be, one suggested, to get a handgun with it pre-installed.

Sig is starting to outfit more models with their Romeo1 optics factory installed. I have a MK25 that came that way and saw a 320 outfitted the same the last time I was at 2A.

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    So I actually just had this done with my Glock 22 that i shoot. I sent the slide off to Lone Wolf Distributors, paid them like 180 i believe and they milled the slide, installed a suppressor sights, and then caracoted the slide after. It did take them about 2 months and i am thinking that this was longer than usual because of the holiday season but who knows. I do know i am extremely happy with how well it turned out and can't wait to take it to the range. I have shot other handguns with red dots and they do take some getting use to but overall i love it and it is something that you will love too. good luck

Attachments

• IMG_3120-2.jpg
      IMG_3120-2.jpg
      148 KB · Views: 84

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom