• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    I am new to hunting as many of you already know and have helped me out immensely. Am I the only one that has issues calling in to reserve blinds for duck hunting? Last month it took me 800+ attempts to get past the busy tone and then today it took me 327 attempts. Is this just a common thing?

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    that is very much like seeking a gun/hunt club membership in my area

Every time I go out, I try to make a point to meet someone new and talk to them about hunting a little bit. Every single person says its great to get young people involved in the sport but their is some serious bumps along the road...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Plenty of private land available for waterfowl. Private land available for free is a different thing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It also depends heavily on what and when. I can't speak to waterfowling on public land, but a lot of public land that requires reservations is often booked. I have heard a few different hunters speculate it is because some neighbors to the property call in to book it on purpose to crowd out actual hunters.

I don't really know, but I have driven by a few of the reservation only CWMAs where I have tried to get a reservation and there is one lot, 8 reservations spots and I'll see one or two, sometimes three vehicles there, but they are full up.

Other than some of the short parts of seasons, like early muzzleloader, going on a week day often means almost no one on public land. Though that is deer hunting in central Maryland. Some place like Patuxent is 3000 huntable acres out of 5000 and peak it might have 40-50 hunters in the park on an early Saturday during general firearms season, clustered mostly in the more accessible parts of the park. On a week day in the late season or archery only weekday there might be 2-4 hunters in the entire park.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I hunted the Gunpowder State Park blinds on and off for years (though not in the last couple). I never had a problem getting through with a few minutes of rapid fire dialing.

I had heard those blinds were going to be changed to no-reservations, first-come-first-served. Which sounded pretty dicey to me, could lead to aggressive behavior at the boat ramps and boats jockeying for position in the dark and waves and cold water.

That said, I never saw many other hunters out there. With a little experience you learned the best blinds and they went fast.

I would probably pay for access to good consistent puddle duck hunting but is seems like most of the clubs focus on geese and deer.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    If you are not already aware, every July counties have their blind site draws. If you do some research you can go to one of these drawings and if you get lucky and get an early pick can get some prime waterfowl hunting spots for a small fee. Well worth the chance.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you haven't made your reservations before the season started, it's unlikely you're going to find public land to hunt. Waterfowl hunting can be expensive. Don't give up, hopefully you'll find someone interested in helping you.

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    If you haven't made your reservations before the season started, it's unlikely you're going to find public land to hunt. Waterfowl hunting can be expensive. Don't give up, hopefully you'll find someone interested in helping you.

When reserving a waterfowl blind, you can not reserve more than 4 days in advance.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    sad to think that hunting used to be a requirement to survive and it has become a relatively unavailable luxury...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    sad to think that hunting used to be a requirement to survive and it has become a relatively unavailable luxury...

It is. Then again, if 100% of Americans hunted instead of like 8-10%, I bet everyone would be frustrated. You'd see places where there'd be lotteries for residents with probably 1 in 5 odds of drawing a deer tag in any year and stuff like that.

I want to increase hunter participation, but at the same time, I am not sad that the number of hunters isn't enormously higher.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It is. Then again, if 100% of Americans hunted instead of like 8-10%, I bet everyone would be frustrated. You'd see places where there'd be lotteries for residents with probably 1 in 5 odds of drawing a deer tag in any year and stuff like that.

I want to increase hunter participation, but at the same time, I am not sad that the number of hunters isn't enormously higher.

If it wasn't so difficult to get into hunting, there probably would be a lot more Hunters. If I'm hungry I can go to the grocery store and grab some steaks whatever I want. I want to go shooting the range is right across the street or my brother-in-law has a large property 10 minutes away.

To even attempt to go hunting is a huge hassle if you can even find a place

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    There is no Sunday hunting for resi geese and none of the Sunday laws have allowed for it. I work with MDWFA and have spoken with many people and the DNR on it. It's a huge issue and will be the absolute last Sunday hunting opening in Maryland, if it ever happens.

Maryland gets compensatory days, meaning every Sunday not hunted is added to the end of the season. Many guys feel this extends their season and don't want it to happen. Guide also want that day off and have and will fight this. Its a huge hurdle and DNR said themselves until all hunting is open waterfowl will be most likely closed on Sunday!

But if you feel compelled, have at it. Between the state and federal fines, I bet you could buy a cheap car for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom