• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Do they still make any low mega pixel game cameras that are any good?

I preface this is as I work in the CCTV market and I know you don't need 14mp to take a picture of a deer walking on a trail. Plus they are playing some kind of trick on Mp count some how. With a 5mp camera you can read a license plate at 40 yards or more. 14 mp and you should be able to count every hair on a deer at 20 yards from the camera.

According to this artical all camera is 1.3 to 3mp chips and play games with software to make you buy them
    http://www.trailcampro.com/pages/5-most-common-trail-camera-myths

I just want normal picture and a fair camera

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I use a browning version at work (10 mp) and you can't read a license plate at 40 yards that's for sure!!! I can't post my pictures as they are evidence but I can show you some of the stuff that was published in the news. If you want me to PM you that article with my cam pics.

No software to buy or any of that a simple 5 dollar card reader works perfectly on our computers. We use the browning strike force. The nighttime photos don't work well with tags because they are reflective. In winter the cold drains the batteries pretty fast and they need to be checked at MIN every two weeks.

For 100 bucks it's totally worth it for a regular trail cam and a 32GB card will hold over 9K worth of photos

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Its the same with cameras. The optics can not really handle the resolution of the output file.
    As you say, I'd rather have something basic like a 2MP and small file sizes.
    Having a crisp picture is more important.
    Having a picture that is not blurry (fast shutter, good low light performance) is much better.
    Having a motion sensor that is functional and configurable is very important.
    These features I speak of are subjective and hard to put into specs so they don't.
    Its simply a marketing pissing contest.

You have to see pictures and read reviews.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It may be the lenses that make the difference. Plastic lens -v- glass lens.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I bought the featured game camera, Wildgame CLOAK12 Lightsout 12MP, at Walmart. It uses 2 bungee cords for mounting. It is being used in our attic, because we hear sounds off and on like a single thump on the attic floor. When I take a look, there is nothing. I do have a Havahart trap with peanut butter & jelly, but it draws nothing.
    I have a few questions, since I've never used one before:
    1. It is difficult to do a ceiling mount. Since the culprit is likely using the floor to traverse the area, I mounted the camera on an object and kept the camera about 4 inches above floor level. Hope this is okay? How do you determine the height of the mount?
    2. Can I take the SD card out anytime I want to view it on computer, then reinsert into camera?
    3. Is it best to set the camera on "Still" or "Video". I only need to determine what I am dealing with.
    Here in WV the usual problems are squirrels, racoons, bats, birds. Been here in WV for 11 years
    and never had a problem.

Thanks!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I am running 3 cameras right now... two are Moultries (an old A20 and a new S50i) and one is a Stealth Cam. The old Moultrie and the Stealth are less than $100 cameras and work fine, night and day. The new Moultrie I just put out a few weeks ago and haven't checked it yet.

Location is the most important thing I have learned (since I have only used them a little up til this season) and you need to be aware of things that move besides deer (like brush, branches, etc... ) and you need to pay attention to lighting, as it changes throughout the day.

I check them with my iphone or ipad and a card reader, no issues.. I walk to the cam, turn it off, pull the card, import and erase the images off the SD card and stick it back in and re-arm the cam, no issues.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to get decent scouting pics of deer or other game (or other uses, like home security)....

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    While on the topic, what are some great ways to keep some lowlife from stealing them? I had them steal one with a python lock, even stole the whole cable lock kitandkabootle. There were marks on the tree from whatever they did. It was a cheap Moultrie that was def used. They wouldn't have gotten much money for it ( gotta be junkies). I really want to see what deer are around and when they come out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I bought the featured game camera, Wildgame CLOAK12 Lightsout 12MP, at Walmart. It uses 2 bungee cords for mounting. It is being used in our attic, because we hear sounds off and on like a single thump on the attic floor. When I take a look, there is nothing. I do have a Havahart trap with peanut butter & jelly, but it draws nothing.
    I have a few questions, since I've never used one before:
    1. It is difficult to do a ceiling mount. Since the culprit is likely using the floor to traverse the area, I mounted the camera on an object and kept the camera about 4 inches above floor level. Hope this is okay? How do you determine the height of the mount?
    2. Can I take the SD card out anytime I want to view it on computer, then reinsert into camera?
    3. Is it best to set the camera on "Still" or "Video". I only need to determine what I am dealing with.
    Here in WV the usual problems are squirrels, racoons, bats, birds. Been here in WV for 11 years
    and never had a problem.

Thanks!

Maybe a piece of wood cut to size that you could mount the camera to. The wood piece might be easier to mount somehow than the cam itself.

As for things going bump in the night, you might want to call Ghostbusters.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I have had a couple of Wildgame Innovation cams and they all broke. I had a Moultrie for 2 years and it never let me down and the batteries last forever so that's all I will buy now. I don't pay too much to the megapixel count.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Maybe a piece of wood cut to size that you could mount the camera to. The wood piece might be easier to mount somehow than the cam itself.

As for things going bump in the night, you might want to call Ghostbusters.

I would screw the camera to a board using the holes the bungee cords go in the screw the board to a rafter.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I think cameras are kick of the draw. I have two cheap wild game cameras and they work great. Have a older Moultree that works fantastic.

I spent money on a high dollar Cuddeback that didn't work for sh!t.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, my several year old wild game innovations just wouldn't power on all of sudden. I was never a big fan of the Wild Innovations I had, way too many options although I did like the ability of typing in where the camera was located. I never really liked it a whole lot in general anyway, the picture quality kinda sucked and I felt like it missed a lot of stuff but that may have been operator error, too many options in the menu.

I also had a much older Moultrie that the SD card slot broke but I liked operation much better, especially the setup - the Yes/No and a few up and down for date/time. I felt it worked/took better pictures being 2-3 years older than my newer Wildgame innovations trail cam.

I went and bought a newer Moultrie just last week from Dicks Sporting. Hoping to get a few years out of it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For those using trailcams for their intended use, a couple points- when hanging them on a trail, make sure it looks straight down the trail, not across it. Try to set the camera facing north or south, not east or west. Setting and rising sun play hell with your pics and that's the time you see most deer movement. I have had much better luck not spooking deer with my cams(IR glow) by hanging them higher in the tree, say 6'-7' off the ground, pointing down at the targeted area.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Since this I bought the Moultrie A30 and its worked pretty good. Did find you can't use rechargeable batteries as they start too low on voltage and quit in about a month. So I changed over to a 12v 7ah battery. $15 for the battery and about $4 a cable and it should run all season.

I bought this cable to power it. I cut off the female end and crimped connectors to fit on the battery and set the battery in a waterproof box. I had to shave the plastic on the male connector with a knife to fit it in the Moultrie port port, but it works. I am going to put the other cable on my daughters camera shortly.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I have had a couple of Wildgame Innovation cams and they all broke. I had a Moultrie for 2 years and it never let me down and the batteries last forever so that's all I will buy now. I don't pay too much to the megapixel count.

What went wrong with the Wildgame Innovation cameras?

Mine is new and setup and startup was easy.
    Haven't checked the SD card yet for pics. Since I only have it raised about 4" off of the attic floor, I may not see anything, although I'm sure hearing something. Might have to raise the camera by a few inches.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    What went wrong withe the Wildgame Innovation cameras?

Mind is new and setup and startup was easy.
    Haven't checked the SD card yet for pics. Since I only have it raised about 4" off of the attic floor, I may not see anything, although I'm sure hearing something. Might have to raise the camera by a few inches.

The one camera the sensor stopped working and the other just would not take any pictures. Now mind you it was after a year of working like they should. Out of the box they worked fine for a year but with any company they are going to have some that break, that's just how it goes. Hawk hunting gear has a mount that you could screw into wood in your attic. Here is the link,

https://www.hawkhunting.com/collections/camera-accessories/products/tiny-game-camera-mount

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Starting second season with the wildgame innovations.
    I have had good luck with mine.
    I also have a browning I set up for video
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AO4M1TY/
    The browning user interface is better/easier

Honestly, I'd rather have 3 of the wildgame in different places than buy one of the Browning.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'm running two Stealthcam PX14's that I got off of Amazon for around $60 a piece a while back. They aren't cutting edge but they work pretty well. The one thing I've learned you need to pay attention to (learn from my mistake) is trigger speed. The camera I have has a round a 1 second trigger speed vs some of the new ones that run .3 or .4 seconds. If you have it set up over a corn pile or feeder, you probably won't ever notice an issue, but if it's somewhere else a deer running by may not catch it reliably or the picture will be blurred.

I found this site that reviews and sells cameras. They do some pretty good reviews and give you the good, the bad and the ugly. https://www.trailcampro.com/ If I had to do it again I'd get either a Browning or Bushnell. They seem to be fairly affordable and produce good pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom