• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Contemplating my next build for the current climate of violence and rioting and stuck on which barrel to use first. I have two brand new Colt Barrels, one is the 11.5 heavy profile FBI SRT and the other is the 14.5 heavy profile SOCOM.

Building it on virgin Knights Armament SR15 upper and lower receivers, with the KAC RAS M4 hand-guard, VLTOR A5 receiver extension, H2 buffer, Colt BCG and Colt LPK/UPK. Recommendations are welcomed.

Assuming you're going to make an SBR, my pick would be the 11.5 for mobility. How does the length work with the handguard you have?

If you're going to pin & weld, use the 14.5 for better velocity.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Assuming you're going to make an SBR, my pick would be the 11.5 for mobility. How does the length work with the handguard you have?

If you're going to pin & weld, use the 14.5 for better velocity.

The hand guard should work well with either length. I live in a more urban environment where ranges would be anywhere from 0-200 yards.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Personal opinion: the velocity difference between 11.5 and 14.5 is just not a compelling factor in the choice. The likelihood that you are going to engage a target beyond MPBR is so vanishingly small in most areas that you're better off focusing on your ammo selection rather than trying to maximize velocity. I am also on team 11.5, but have seen semi-compelling arguments for 12.5. 10.3-10.5 is, IMHO, a little too rough on the gun for long-term use.

If velocity is a real factor, the choice should really be between 18" and 20".

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Personal opinion: the velocity difference between 11.5 and 14.5 is just not a compelling factor in the choice. The likelihood that you are going to engage a target beyond MPBR is so vanishingly small in most areas that you're better off focusing on your ammo selection rather than trying to maximize velocity. I am also on team 11.5, but have seen semi-compelling arguments for 12.5. 10.3-10.5 is, IMHO, a little too rough on the gun for long-term use.

If velocity is a real factor, the choice should really be between 18" and 20".

Thanks, I agree. 11.5 it is.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If opting for the shorter barrels get a 7:1 or 8:1 twist rate and use the heavier (62, 67-69, and 77 grain) bullets. That will more than negate any velocity loss. 6% velocity loss for a gain of 15.5-40% increase in bullet mass.

Assume 14.5 inch barrel muzzle velocity. The power factor performance becomes more apparent over range.

power factor of 55 grain = 166
    power factor of 62 grain = 179
    power factor of 77 grain = 193

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's no way to beat physics on velocity loss from a shorter barrel on an apples to apples comparison. What you need is ammo that has bullets which are designed to expand at lower velocities. Terminal ballistics are more important than external ballistics when we're talking MPBR-style distances on potentially two-way ranges.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I don't expect to need 10K rounds of social ammo. I doubt I have that much in all calibers combined. Now, .22LR...that I buy by the 5K round case.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    There's no way to beat physics on velocity loss from a shorter barrel on an apples to apples comparison. What you need is ammo that has bullets which are designed to expand at lower velocities. Terminal ballistics are more important than external ballistics when we're talking MPBR-style distances on potentially two-way ranges.

The physics remains the same- bullet choice is on the shooter...and supplier. LOL

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

In a 11.5” even M193 should fragment pretty reliably up close so it’s good enough for me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In a 11.5” even M193 should fragment pretty reliably up close so it’s good enough for me.
    11.5" barrels are pretty marginal for getting M193 to 2700+ fps. They'll do it at the muzzle, but if you start getting out to a hundred yards, it might dip below that threshold. There is a reason people recommend stuff like Hornady TAP and Speer Gold Dots in these SBRs...

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    If you can't conceal it, doesn't do much good IMO. There are unique circumstances depending on where you are. Up here in PA, I can lawfully carry any pistol, rifles have additional regulations and can't be in the car while loaded, so "Pistols" are the way to go. Around here I usually just carry my P365 as usual. Have to make a few trips to Philly so the largest, most potent Pistol I can conceal on-body is my G19 AIWB, and that is what I carry. My QC10 "pistol" conceals in a small backpack on me, or in the car, it's proven reliable with HSTs.

The G19 and AR9 can use the same mags, so it's ideal IMO and easy enough to have it with me. Only real downside would be if the goons start wearing body armor, so maybe a tiny 300BO with a folding or PDW brace/stock might have enough of an advantage to give up compatibility with my concealed handgun mags/ammo. The chances of having to actually use the PCP is practically 0 thankfully enough, would rather do all I can to avoid facing down a mob entirely, but like most here, I have it, it's legal, so why not, because 'merica.
    View attachment 286980

My training lately has changed for these reasons. Instead of center mass, I'm going for Head/Groin not necessarily in that order. You should see my targets! I'd rather avoid the legal hassles of potential manslaughter/homicide and just make them wish they were dead.... The Neuter Drill.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    My training lately has changed for these reasons. Instead of center mass, I'm going for Head/Groin not necessarily in that order. You should see my targets! I'd rather avoid the legal hassles of potential manslaughter/homicide and just make them wish they were dead.... The Neuter Drill.

You should check-out the Preparation is now Intent thread.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    11.5" barrels are pretty marginal for getting M193 to 2700+ fps. They'll do it at the muzzle, but if you start getting out to a hundred yards, it might dip below that threshold. There is a reason people recommend stuff like Hornady TAP and Speer Gold Dots in these SBRs...
    Yep. My shorties are 10.5”. I use the Hornady polymer tips in my SHTF load out.

LOL. Neuter drill is a little cringey.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ...comin' ta get ya!

Attachments

• lap.jpg
      lap.jpg
      10 KB · Views: 281

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Ar’s for wife and daughter , 556, 22 handguns for them . The boys and I Ar 308 , commie 762 and shotguns of coarse , 9’s , 40, 45 . Heck grandkids make it over 22’s and 410 for them . I would have my DD 308 , Sig 226 and a shotgun near by if not slung on my back. Close quarters I want a shotgun.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    So is shit hitting the proverbial fan? Pandemics, race riots, civil unrest, high unemployment, mass homelessness, an economic crash, mass floods, fires you name it, 2020 has brought it all. Just curious what you are taking with you when the time comes...

If I had time to choose and load out- I’d probably pick an AR for versatility. If this were a true SHTF moment without time, whatever I could get to would be the greatest rifle in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom