• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    For the skeptics, in principal police already have these devices. I cannot see why a miniaturized version would not work. I think it might eat your battery and you would only get a few scans right now.

Ive been shopping for tin foil to layer in my pants, to go with whats already on my head. Scans wont penetrate foil.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    If this technology is legitimate, can one expect a level of privacy for things that are not openly exposed (no flasher comments)? Like the idea that if you are in a phone booth (do they still exist) you have an expectancy of privacy during your phone call. Walking down the street, no.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I guess I'll take the alternate side but I wouldn't be overly surprised if something like this exists in the near future. I have no information about this company but I've seen various different applications of similar technologies and if you paired that with density evaluations and other software such as a facial recognition (although reprogrammed for dimensional awareness for a firearm) - I wouldn't be surprised to see in the LE/MIL market within a handful of years. That said - with all those waves we might start glowing at night. I guess time will tell.

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    Gun scanning app

This app could and probanly would be used by criminal elements to pock soft targets. The criminal elements would most.likely be able to afford the hefty price. This device could allso make law enforcement plain clothes personnel obsolete and a target. A new business will likely spring up to counter the rf scanning technology, jamming, and other techniques to render the case ineffective. Another point, identifying someone with a weapon doesn't really help unless the identifier is able to defend him/her self.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    This app could and probanly would be used by criminal elements to pock soft targets. The criminal elements would most.likely be able to afford the hefty price. This device could allso make law enforcement plain clothes personnel obsolete and a target. A new business will likely spring up to counter the rf scanning technology, jamming, and other techniques to render the case ineffective. Another point, identifying someone with a weapon doesn't really help unless the identifier is able to defend him/her self.

All good points although as technology continues to develop, there will be more and more of these issues.

MoJoy99

Apr 28, 2018
    Fort Washington
    "Sword" will definitely cut both ways.

Don't like it, even with 'the best of intentions' they publicly state. Privacy isn't dead yet, I'd like to hold onto what little bit of it that remains.

Just curious how far you think the limits of your privacy extend. No doubt this could be abused, but just like you can by an electronic ear off of amazon or devices that capture information you send over wifi. There are devices out there and some people will abuse them regardless of the law.

HD1200S

May 6, 2013
    Does this mean we can self scan when checking in for flights? I would think that TSA would have heartburn over this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom